• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Some spikes to note in your Copper Age Collection:

Amazing Spider-Man #344 CGC 9.8 @ $70 & 26 bids. I've noticed not just this one but a variety of bids on various #344's lately. hm

That spike will fade as soon as everyone gets a glimpse of how bit of a turd the Rhino will be in the movie.

I just bought one of these 9.8's. I'm really hoping it's not just a spike..

Edited by Kaptain Kollektor

With Nightwing's popularity only growing more and more lately and his key role in upcoming titles like Forever Evil and generally all the Batman DC 52 titles I can't help but agree. TT #44 might just be the DC's version of NM 98.

Edited by whetteon

With Nightwing's popularity only growing more and more lately and his key role in upcoming titles like Forever Evil and generally all the Batman DC 52 titles I can't help but agree. TT #44 might just be the DC's version of NM 98.

I agree, this book was a sleeper and will be the next big book.

With the 1st NightWing and origin of Deathstroke, it's a double key. Black cover isn't going to make it easy to find in high grade.

I'm surprised more people aren't focused on the Teen Titan series. In the early 80's it literally boosted DC and competed strongly with the X-Men. It also has a lot of 1st appearances of some cool Villains and Wolfman & Perez.

According to GPA, a 9.6 Canadian Edition sold this weekend for $200.00. Not too bad for a book that isn't driven by movie speculation.

With the 1st NightWing and origin of Deathstroke, it's a double key. Black cover isn't going to make it easy to find in high grade.

I'm surprised more people aren't focused on the Teen Titan series. In the early 80's it literally boosted DC and competed strongly with the X-Men. It also has a lot of 1st appearances of some cool Villains and Wolfman & Perez.

According to GPA, a 9.6 Canadian Edition sold this weekend for $200.00. Not too bad for a book that isn't driven by movie speculation.

Always loved the Judas Contract story arc. It's amazing it took this many years to catch on again, as I agree the Nightwing 1st appearance and Deathstroke origin makes for a double-whammy winner.

Always loved the Judas Contract story arc. It's amazing it took this many years to catch on again, as I agree the Nightwing 1st appearance and Deathstroke origin makes for a double-whammy winner.

To play devil's advocate on this issue, the character has been around since the 40s. It's just a new costume. Also, most of the New Teen Titan issues are plentiful including issue 44. Another thing holding back the New Teen Titans is DC does not have the team they show on TV in print (Cyborg, Raven, Starfire, Beast Boy, Robin), so that has definitely dampened any demand these comics would have. Honestly, this has to be one of the sillier moves by DC in my opinion. These characters as a team as shown on the Cartoon Network would be a hit. Unfortunately, Cyborg is in JL, Raven is unrecognizable, Robin is MIA, and Starfire has been sullied, so the odds of this ever happening in the New 52 is pretty slim. Talk about a wasted opportunity with the reboot 2 years ago!

it's great that MOS 18 is making big bucks, but i just don't get it. the vast bulk of raw copies out there are in 9.4-9.8 condition. it would seem that for nearly the price of 1 9.8 slab you could buy 10 sharp copies at FULL retail prices of $9-$15 a pop) and submit them, likely getting back more than one 9.8. this is not like a book maybe almost 10 years older (NTT 44, let's say, or NTT 2, where the 9.8s are going to be a chunk harder to find).

What the heck is going on at the moment?

Nostalgia...This era of comics appeal to collectors entering their late 30s and they have some disposable income and they want high grade.

Same thing happened with Bronze Age when CGC first came around.

Fair enough and I concur. But $230? The last 9.8 sold on ebay for $167, which is about right imo. Will be interesting to see what the next one gets hm There's one ending in about a day.

One of my favourite Coppers, btw. The story and art are exceptional if you're a Venom fan (thumbs u

:whee:

The Rule of 25 holds. IT ALWAYS HOLDS.

mintcollector will be along in a moment to refute

With a boatload full of wisdom we lack

That one actually surprises me less than SMOS 18 as it is an issue that has been selling well in all raw grades for a while, well, at least a year or so ago it was pretty hot, no? was SMOS 18 gettting anywhere near guide on ebay until fairly recently? i know i have picked up a bunch of copies cheap simply because i think it's a great cover.

it's great that MOS 18 is making big bucks, but i just don't get it. the vast bulk of raw copies out there are in 9.4-9.8 condition. it would seem that for nearly the price of 1 9.8 slab you could buy 10 sharp copies at FULL retail prices of $9-$15 a pop) and submit them, likely getting back more than one 9.8. this is not like a book maybe almost 10 years older (NTT 44, let's say, or NTT 2, where the 9.8s are going to be a chunk harder to find).

I wouldn't be too quick to say that the vast bulk of raw copies are in 9.4-9.8 condition. I'd be more inclined to think that the vast majority of raw copies are in the 9.0-9.6 range. That said, a bit of buzz and the opportuntiy to pick up a 9.8 slab that's already been graded would account for the pricing. I've seen a bunch that were purportedly (NM/NM+) and they've turned out to be (NM-/NM).

The value on a 9.0-9.4 isn't going to come close to a 9.8 and with comics as recent as this folks are really looking for that 9.8+ factor.

Also, to play devil's advocate, what does it matter how many mint issues are out there? That hasn't stop New Mutants #98 from being a solid $100+ book has it? It hasn't stop Hulk #181 from being a $2000+ book has it? I find your logic strange if you think the market will cease to purchase this book simple because there are too many mint copies available.

Also, to play devil's advocate, what does it matter how many mint issues are out there? That hasn't stop New Mutants #98 from being a solid $100+ book has it? It hasn't stop Hulk #181 from being a $2000+ book has it? I find your logic strange if you think the market will cease to purchase this book simple because there are too many mint copies available.

Yup. (thumbs u

It's supply AND demand, and, as seen with NM 98, if enough people want one, prices can rise.