• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

Does anyone think the market will ever reflect Marvel GN Series 17 as the first appearance of Apocalypse? It seems as if all the cheap copies have dried up on Ebay. Because of the retcon I am hesitant to buy into this one. Same goes for Jessica Jones but that discussion belongs in a different forum I guess.

Might as well go back further to Moon Knight # 1

http://www.comiccrusaders.com/defines-comic-characters-1st-appearance/

Right, but this is just wrong - Mary Jane's first appearance is in Amazing Spider-Man 25.

ASM25.png

How could those get any traction at all? Sabah is a pretty common and popular Arabic/Muslim name. Does this mean if someone can find a copy of a book where a character is named "Logan" that could possibly be an even earlier appearance of Wolverine? What about some teenager named Peter in an Atlas monster book? True first appearance of Spider-Man?

9t0ix.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

hm

If Marvel were to approve it then it might get some traction but in this case it seems unlikely and for good reason. Foom 2 and the other characters in that contest really make Marvel look bad. It appears as if they harvest ideas from an unsuspecting talent pool. In this case we only have a name and as someone mentioned, a common one at that.

Edited by MrWeen

Does anyone think the market will ever reflect Marvel GN Series 17 as the first appearance of Apocalypse? It seems as if all the cheap copies have dried up on Ebay. Because of the retcon I am hesitant to buy into this one. Same goes for Jessica Jones but that discussion belongs in a different forum I guess.

i like the article but everyone knows the black costume Appeared in an issue of amazing heroes well before any other comic ;)

Marvel Age 12 also falls into that argument somewhere as well.

Right, but this is just wrong - Mary Jane's first appearance is in Amazing Spider-Man 25.

ASM25.png

:gossip: Except that that's Ditko's version . . . ;):baiting:

MGN 17 and Moon Knight Vol 2 have completely different creative teams so the name "Sabah" is probably just a coincidence, they could've just as easily used Akhmed or Anwar in both books

If there was a connection between En Sabah Nur and Sabah, you'd think that Moon Knight would've been in the Living Monolith story but he isn't.

I have a copy of the MGN in question and if Apocalypse is behind the scenes, he's gotta be way behind the curtain because I don't remember him at all though it's been a while since I thumbed thru it.

If Marvel wiki recognizes it as Apocalypse, I should probably ebay it soon because wiki doesn't lie, right?

Edited by Lonzilla

:facepalm: That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Yeah his making the case for the FOOM #2 BS shows he has no clue what he's talking about. Unless the Mandarin was behind the scenes of that Wolverine "appearance". Could be the 1st Asian Wolverine, like the 1st Asian Psylocke

MGN 17 and Moon Knight Vol 2 have completely different creative teams so the name "Sabah" is probably just a coincidence, they could've just as easily used Akhmed or Anwar in both books

If there was a connection between En Sabah Nur and Sabah, you'd think that Moon Knight would've been in the Living Monolith story but he isn't.

I have a copy of the MGN in question and if Apocalypse is behind the scenes, he's gotta be way behind the curtain because I don't remember him at all though it's been a while since I thumbed thru it.

If Marvel wiki recognizes it as Apocalypse, I should probably ebay it soon because wiki doesn't lie, right?

1. I think you missed part of the conversation. Apocalypse doesn't appear I'm the form we know. That's where the Middle Eastern name talk came from.

2. Check current and sold eBay prices and get back to us.

Yeah his making the case for the FOOM #2 BS shows he has no clue what he's talking about. Unless the Mandarin was behind the scenes of that Wolverine "appearance". Could be the 1st Asian Wolverine, like the 1st Asian Psylocke

I really don't want a Foom 2 argument but Wolverine isn't the only character Marvel may have utilized from that contest. Even if you discount the Wolverine design how then do you explain the others. That's troubling if you ask me and at the very least Marvel owes reader and some of those contest creators an explanation.

Edited by MrWeen

I really don't want a Foom 2 argument but Wolverine isn't the only character Marvel may have utilized from that contest. Even if you want to chalk up any coincidence between the Wolverine design from that issue to pure coincidence how then do you explain the others. That's troubling if you ask me and at the very least Marvel owes reader and some of those contest creators an explanation.

Yeah but it was like 40 years ago and obviously their has been a change of the Marvel Comics guards. SO I wouldn't expect any comment from Marvel, but I agree with you that Wolverine's origin wasn't a coincidence.

I've been chasing high-grade copies for a year. Tough to find. Just an iconic cover. Modern classic.

Think I gots me a couple-two-three . . . :whistle: Just love this place. :)

And I just found a nice copy that I had too. :)

The search list keeps getting longer and longer. lol

I like that WW cover. I've got a nice copy tucked away too. Good to see it getting some market love!

:cool:

WW072_zps424baffd.jpg

This was a to find in NM/MT, but I found one a few years ago and got it signed.

Other tough Wonder Woman (2nd series) books to find in NM/MT include #10 (gatefold cover), early Bolland covers (lower print runs?), and some of the early Byrne issues, around #101-117 (paper stock). Though, the prices don't reflect the difficulty in finding these books in uber grade at all. I find that the Hughes WW books command higher prices even though they are not as difficult to get a hold of. Over the last few years, I've noticed the Hughes covers selling for a lot more than they used to (sorry, no scientific data). Some of the tougher Hughes issues are #151, #152, #167, #186, #188 due to the black covers.

And there you have it.

I've been chasing high-grade copies for a year. Tough to find. Just an iconic cover. Modern classic.

I like that WW cover. I've got a nice copy tucked away too. Good to see it getting some market love!

WW072_zps424baffd.jpg

Other tough Wonder Woman (2nd series) books to find in NM/MT include #10 (gatefold cover), early Bolland covers (lower print runs?), and some of the early Byrne issues, around #101-117 (paper stock). Though, the prices don't reflect the difficulty in finding these books in uber grade at all. I find that the Hughes WW books command higher prices even though they are not as difficult to get a hold of. Over the last few years, I've noticed the Hughes covers selling for a lot more than they used to (sorry, no scientific data). Some of the tougher Hughes issues are #151, #152, #167, #186, #188 due to the black covers.

And there you have it.

I wonder where you get all of your comics from.

As far as creating the character, Wein shared, "It’s one of my favorite stories to tell. Wolverine came out of my writing an entirely different book. I was writing a book called “Brother Voodoo” for Marvel at the time, which was set in the Caribbean. I like writing accents, I like to write so you can sort of hear the voice. So, I was writing a number of the characters with Caribbean accents. Then the editor in chief at Marvel, Roy Thomas, called me into his office and said, “You know, I hate you.” I said, “Thank you so much!” He said, “No, seriously, you write these great accents and I can’t do accents.” He said, “I’d love to see how you would write a Canadian accent. I have the name.” The name was Wolverine. He said, “Come up with a Canadian character called Wolverine.” So, I went and researched wolverines and discovered they were short, really hairy, feisty animals with razor-sharp claws who are utterly fearless and would take on animals 10 times their size. I went, well, that’s the easiest character I’ve ever created. I developed him out of that particular definition. The weird thing was, I actually did a lousy Canadian accent. I thought he ended up sounding more Australian in that first story. The irony of that is so amazing to me. (laughs) I made him a mutant because there had been discussions about reviving the X-Men as an international team of mutants. I thought I would provide for whoever ended up writing that book ["Giant-Size X-Men" No. 1]. I never realized I would be the guy who ended up writing that book. I made my own life much more interesting and simple than I expected."

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=84809#HydtXjLTQCPCudYl.99

WW072_zps424baffd.jpg

And there you have it.

I walk from place to place, meet people, get into adventures, and buy comics from strange people in dark places, very dark places.

I'm trying to rebuild my Bolland WW and AH! WW/Catwoman runs, and it has proven much harder than I'd initially anticipated. I bought all of those books off of the stands originally and had complete sets. A few years ago I sold them off in sets as I was cutting back and they weren't really worth much at the time. Of course, I'm kicking myself now, but it is fun to hunt them. They're the type of books that are very difficult to find in HG, but if you do, chances are it's for $1 at a Half Price Books or something. They're not books that most collectors instantly recognize as valuable, but they did end up in collections due to the popularity of the characters.

The price bump on #72 isn't surprising. It's a modern classic cover, and has already been made into, what, 3 statues by now? (Original, Mini, and mini-patina?) That's a recipe for a hot book, for sure.

WW072_zps424baffd.jpg

And there you have it.

I walk from place to place, meet people, get into adventures, and buy comics from strange people in dark places, very dark places.

Best story of the week.

WW072_zps424baffd.jpg

And there you have it.

Best story of the week.

Plus is being told by grizzly Adams.