• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Big difference I see between God Loves Man Kills and The New Mutants GN is the fact that NM GN is the first appearance of the team.

Now if the movie comes out and it's Cable and a bunch of X-Force characters under the New Mutants name then maybe it won't matter much. We will see.

This. MGN4 is their first appearance. Plus it seems to be tough in high grade... Seems like a no brainer but guess we will see what the market says.

Not only is MGN #4 the first New Mutants appearance, its the first appearance of Sunspot, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, and Mirage (Psyche) who were all mainstay characters of the team for most of its duration.

Its an incredibly tough book to find in high grade so it's going to be coveted much more in the long run than New Mutants #1 considering the "Key" factor of MGN #4.

It took me a while to find an acceptable raw 9.8 long before movie hype.

I think the current entry point of $50-75 for a fine+ MGN #4 will sound much more reasonable now that NM#1 is approaching $20-40.

MGN#4 is a must have for any x-men fan, easily a top 10 "X-men Key" for passionate X-men collectors. was for me at least

If buying a New Mutants Graphic Novel, check the indicia inside for which printing it is.

I think they did like 7 printings or something.

So I can assume if there's no mention of what printing it is, than it would be a first printing?

please move on to discussing a book i own, preferably one i have multiples of

thanks

You mean like this one? :grin:

Deathlok 1

Or these?

STAR WARS RETURN OF THE JEDI 1-4

Or maybe . . . :cloud9:

New Mutants 100

If Star Wars Return of the Jedi is the first appearance of Jabba the Hutt then it's undervalued.

Star Wars #2 is more of a 1st appearance of Jabba. However, the Jabba of Star Wars #2 is more of the old character design (i.e. a bi-ped)

If buying a New Mutants Graphic Novel, check the indicia inside for which printing it is.

I think they did like 7 printings or something.

So I can assume if there's no mention of what printing it is, than it would be a first printing?

There was a discussion about this before (perhaps in this thread) and I don't know if there was a final consensus.

For example this copy has nothing on the interior saying a later printing. Yet it has a $5.95 cover price.

This other copy also has nothing on the interior to show printing but a $4.95 cover price.

Per Comicbookrealm.com, the $4.95 cover is 1st print US and the $5.95 cover is 1st print Canadian. 1st Prints also have no ISBN or UPC code. All the later prints show both the US and CA prices on the cover, plus have an ISBN number on the back cover.

Per Comicbookrealm.com, the $4.95 cover is 1st print US and the $5.95 cover is 1st print Canadian. 1st Prints also have no ISBN or UPC code. All the later prints show both the US and CA prices on the cover, plus have an ISBN number on the back cover.

Thanks for the info!

All signs point to the copy that I picked up for $5 last year in gorgeous condition is a first print!! Yea for me!!

high grade copies of this book don't exist.. the only 9.8 on evilbay is a canadian variant

How do you know it's a Canadian version...?

It is priced differently, $5.95 or something like that...The US version is $4 something? $4.95? Too lazy to look it up exactly. I think that is the only indicator though.

Yes, the first printing of the US edition is $4.95.

However...I'd like to know how you know it's a Canadian version, and not a later printing. This, and other MGNs, are notorious for later printings that have no indication that they are such, and as a result, have confused a lot of people.

The only for sure, we're positive first printing is the $4.95 cover price with no notation in the indicia.

Everything else...including double prices *$4.95, $5.95 Can") are later printings. Because of the font of the $5.95 in your example, I'm inclined to believe this is a later printing, sometime around 1984.

HOWEVER....all that said, we should keep open the possibility that there were, in fact, Canadian versions that are first printings. Not at all likely, but certainly possible.

Marvel Graphic Novel #4 with the single $5.95 price

was printed in 1982 and is widely accepted as the Canadian Price Variant, 1st printing as the later printings of Marvel Graphic Novels went on to state $5.95 Can. and it simply made sense.

high grade copies of this book don't exist.. the only 9.8 on evilbay is a canadian variant

How do you know it's a Canadian version...?

It is priced differently, $5.95 or something like that...The US version is $4 something? $4.95? Too lazy to look it up exactly. I think that is the only indicator though.

Yes, the first printing of the US edition is $4.95.

However...I'd like to know how you know it's a Canadian version, and not a later printing. This, and other MGNs, are notorious for later printings that have no indication that they are such, and as a result, have confused a lot of people.

The only for sure, we're positive first printing is the $4.95 cover price with no notation in the indicia.

Everything else...including double prices *$4.95, $5.95 Can") are later printings. Because of the font of the $5.95 in your example, I'm inclined to believe this is a later printing, sometime around 1984.

HOWEVER....all that said, we should keep open the possibility that there were, in fact, Canadian versions that are first printings. Not at all likely, but certainly possible.

This is all critical information. The Dreadstar GN has created some similar confusion.

Comicbookrealm is making an assumption.

For there to have been a "Canadian version" of MGN #4, there would have been such versions for #1-3. At the time of the first graphic novels, 1982, there wasn't a distinction between the Canadian market and the US market. The dollars were trading at about par, which changed as 1982 moved along. That's why later versions have "$4.95, $5.95 Can" on them (and why MGN #5 first printings have both prices from the start.)

was printed in 1982 and is widely accepted as the Canadian Price Variant, 1st printing as the later printings of Marvel Graphic Novels went on to state $5.95 Can. and it simply made sense.

By who...?

This is an assumption.

Do I need to whip out my Dark Knight Returns newsstands again...?

:D

By who...?

This is an assumption.

Do I need to whip out my Dark Knight again...?

:D

I swear to god this is the line I used on her last time

Posted in the movie thread:

Sorry; looked at that listing too fast and though they pictured the entire front page.

I thought the $5.95 covers (w/o any further indicators) were not necessarily first prints -- which is what you state 2 posts above.

Very confusing, especially if you don't know comics well and just expect the indicia page to actually give you, you know, information.

As usual, the production people didn't think this through, and didn't imagine we'd be discussing it nearly 35 years later.

It is my long standing opinion that anything other than the single $4.95 price is a later printing, but I'm willing to consider that the single $5.95 price is a "Canadian version" 1st printing.

It's the font that gives it away. The price wouldn't be in a different font if they were both first printings.