• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2020 at 6:36 PM, the blob said:

So I'm not hallucinating that there has been an uptick in quite a few of the x-men issues from 144 - 200, right? nothing crazy, but something?

Across the board money has been flowing into our hobby the last couple of years. Its been very nice this last year. Just stay ahead of the curve
and its a nice supplemental income. I feel sorry for these new buyers paying these bleed prices. 

On 11/27/2020 at 12:12 AM, Xenosmilus said:

Wow this made my Thanksgiving!  Look what I found stashed away in my closet! I'm a little surprised though it's not a newsstand because my LCS only sold Marvel/DC's so I must have gotten this at the drug store.  Anyways still a pleasant surprise.  I think it's a 9.8 with a press,

IMG_2134.jpeg

If you got it at the drug store wouldn't it be a newsie?

Just now, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

If you got it at the drug store wouldn't it be a newsie?

Yeah that was my point.  I thought I did since my LCS didn't sell Archie's. It was 32 years ago though so I must be mistaken. Back then I had two sources of comics, my LCS and the local drug store.

I'm usually pretty good about remembering where I got most of my comics, but I can't remember for the life of me where I got my TMNT Adventures #1.

It's from right before I had a regular subscription service. I did buy lots of newsstand comics back then, but I also made it to comic shops once in a while in the bigger city when visiting family.

I can't even remember if it has the UPC or not. I'm also sure if I read it, it would've been way back then, and only once. I'm digging it out this weekend, so I'll find out what version and also how well I treated one of the earlier, personally purchased comics in my PC. Fingers crossed!

Edited by jdandns
typo

On 11/18/2020 at 2:45 PM, 1Cool said:

Every book has it 2 weeks of fame but don't blink in terms of selling - these crazy prices will not last when people hop to the new hot book of the week.

For most other titles I would agree with you. There were several boardies predicting a crash in Tmnt prices back in the middle of the summer based upon 2 weeks of crazy gains. Well here we are almost 6 months later and the prices show no signs of abating whatsoever. In fact the momentum is gaining across all the tmnt titles. There seems to be no end to the demand for these books and there are no movies or new titles to speak of that are driving the interest. 

Its got great artwork, story, continuity, and a formula that worked then and is paying dividends now. It spawned a revolution. How many comics can boast that?

Edited by pubmonkey

On 11/26/2020 at 10:19 PM, fastballspecial said:

Across the board money has been flowing into our hobby the last couple of years. Its been very nice this last year. Just stay ahead of the curve
and its a nice supplemental income. I feel sorry for these new buyers paying these bleed prices. 

It depends on what they are buying. 15 years ago we had the same discussion on the boards about SA keys and BA keys and how prices were unsustainable. CA books are now where BA was back then. History is just repeating itself. Now, if they are chasing variant covers, then yes, I see bad news on the horizon. However, for 1st apps of characters that are still in print/video games/movies, they will be fine.

5 hours ago, kimik said:
On 11/26/2020 at 11:19 PM, fastballspecial said:

It depends on what they are buying. 15 years ago we had the same discussion on the boards about SA keys and BA keys and how prices were unsustainable. CA books are now where BA was back then. History is just repeating itself. Now, if they are chasing variant covers, then yes, I see bad news on the horizon. However, for 1st apps of characters that are still in print/video games/movies, they will be fine.

The Covid money is inflating price, that and  the influx of large new sport related collectors. 

I can see the comparison to the early 90s though when the same thing happened without Covid money.

I think it will be at least 6 months before any correction occur because we will see another influx of Covid money 
in a month or two I think.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

The Covid money is inflating price, that and  the influx of large new sport related collectors. 

I can see the comparison to the early 90s though when the same thing happened without Covid money.

I think it will be at least 6 months before any correction occur because we will see another influx of Covid money 
in a month or two I think.

Right now people are also flush with cash that would have normally gone to vacations, concerts, sporting events, etc. That is helping just as much as the Covid cheques - with less options for their $$$s they are turning to cards and comics. If you think the comic market is out of whack, sports cards is even worse. The latest RCs of players who have not even played a game are going for way more upon release than established stars/superstars. It is crazy. 

The 90s was driven by the general public speculating as well as card money. I can remember being at a LCS the day McSpider-Man 1 came out. There were people taking out longboxes of each cover and thanking the owner for getting them as it would put their kids through college. I was 14 or 15 at the time, and even I could do the math that X million copies of a book = low resale value since everyone would be sitting on them. I asked the owner if the people taking out long boxes were regulars and he said no. Most had just heard about the hype and placed a big order. It was the same with death of Supes - people were standing in line to pay $150 CDN at some stores for just one copy of the book on the day of release since it was going to be worth thousands due to all of the publicity. I had one copy allocated in my file, even though I ordered 10 - if they had given me the other 9 copies I would have sold them on the way out. lol  

The smart collectors were the ones trading the hot chromiums, new series, deaths of, and pre-Unity Valiants for SA and BA keys back then. That is how to play this now - speculate and turn the profits into the stock market or older books that are more stable. The owner of a large collection I snagged a couple of years ago traded a spare Harbinger 1 for a Hulk 1 straight up back then.

18 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

For most other titles I would agree with you. There were several boardies predicting a crash in Tmnt prices back in the middle of the summer based upon 2 weeks of crazy gains. Well here we are almost 6 months later and the prices show no signs of abating whatsoever. In fact the momentum is gaining across all the tmnt titles. There seems to be no end to the demand for these books and there are no movies or new titles to speak of that are driving the interest. 

Its got great artwork, story, continuity, and a formula that worked then and is paying dividends now. It spawned a revolution. How many comics can boast that?

I'd have to agree TMNT is red hot right now (along with Star Wars books) since both are a revitalization of a bunch of a bunch of dormant collectors.  The Mandalorian show has made a ton of Star Wars books red hot and these seem to be holding their value since the next episode sends people back looking for the new hot book.  The new lone ronin series has brought back a ton of interest in TMNT and these old guys are goobling up stuff right and left.  How long this new crazy will last is up in the air but it does seem to be holding for longer them most of the recent surge books.

13 hours ago, 1Cool said:

How long this new crazy will last is up in the air but it does seem to be holding for longer them most of the recent surge books.

The final issue of Last Ronin will be released on May 19th, 2021, so I expect the demand will remain 'crazy' until then...at that point it might begin to level off, but only if no news of the latest TMNT movie is released (as I'm sure that will just hype it all up again once more info becomes available)

There is also the " at least I am in the game" aspect that I have seen happen many times over the years ( mostly by newer collectors), ie TMNT 1st print has now gotten to the point where its beyond the price point for a lot of collectors, so they find an alternative key of the same title or series,. The problem with that is the reason TMNT 1st print is where its at is because of the low print run, even in the 1980s it was not an easy book to find & even harder in VF/NM 8.5-9.8 (   which seems to be the line) as there are a lot more copies in lower grade imho. ( I don't know the census data but its just my observation over the years as I have seen a lot more lower grade 1st prints, quite a few with signatures and original art)

4 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So dumb. He's only had four movies, a cartoon series, a line of action figures, etc. But since none of them were in the current spec age, I guess they don't count!

It's the Dinklage effect....everyone loves a little Dinklage!

6 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So dumb. He's only had four movies, a cartoon series, a line of action figures, etc. But since none of them were in the current spec age, I guess they don't count!

And the key is selling into the short term spec hype before it moves on to the next property.