• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2020 at 11:49 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

If you got it at the drug store wouldn't it be a newsie?

As a shop owner, I supplied two or three places with comics. One was a 7-11, another was a coffee shop in the Mineola train plaza, and one was a youth boutique. It worked great for me as I only gave them books that were a few weeks old.  I'm sure many comic shops had their own network  of newsstand outlets to sell their surplus stock. 

It's possible thats how direct books ended up in non-direct locations.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:09 AM, jdandns said:

I'm usually pretty good about remembering where I got most of my comics, but I can't remember for the life of me where I got my TMNT Adventures #1.

It's from right before I had a regular subscription service. I did buy lots of newsstand comics back then, but I also made it to comic shops once in a while in the bigger city when visiting family.

I can't even remember if it has the UPC or not. I'm also sure if I read it, it would've been way back then, and only once. I'm digging it out this weekend, so I'll find out what version and also how well I treated one of the earlier, personally purchased comics in my PC. Fingers crossed!

Here's mine, and it turned out to be newsstand AND in pretty nice shape!

I'm still racking my brain as to where it came from, but it pretty much has to be from 7-11 or a supermarket, which are the only two places I got retail comics back then.

Luckily, I got it early. No telltale spinner-rack spine tics in sight!

IMG_20201130_0025.jpg

IMG_20201130_0007.jpg

Edited by jdandns

On 12/4/2020 at 2:20 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So dumb. He's only had four movies, a cartoon series, a line of action figures, etc. But since none of them were in the current spec age, I guess they don't count!

Yup.  They were pre-spec age, so the book languished.

On 12/4/2020 at 4:20 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So dumb. He's only had four movies, a cartoon series, a line of action figures, etc. But since none of them were in the current spec age, I guess they don't count!

I remember absolutly loving the first one. In fact I must have thought the Toxic Avenger was one of the greatest super-hero movies ever made back when I was a teenager, because  I even went out and bought the VHS of it. lol

20201205_215815.jpg

I remember renting the video and it was the full-uncut version which we all loved, and then being very disappointed when I bought that Video Treasures retail version of it (shown above) brand-new at a supermarket (good 'ol Troma) only to find it was a heavily edited-for-violence version that was missing all the best stuff, and was also recorded in the lesser "LP" speed.

I later got he correct uncensored rental version of the VHS which remains a classic.

1 hour ago, jdandns said:

I remember renting the video and it was the full-uncut version which we all loved, and then being very disappointed when I bought that Video Treasures retail version of it (shown above) brand-new at a supermarket (good 'ol Troma) only to find it was a heavily edited-for-violence version that was missing all the best stuff, and was also recorded in the lesser "LP" speed.

I later got he correct uncensored rental version of the VHS which remains a classic.

Huh, Weird. I don't Remember mine being edited at all. Been many many years since I watched it though. I guess I'll have to dig out a VHS player and check it out. Just looked and this copy came out in 1990 which is 6 years after the original movie came out. I was watching this in the 80's so seems probable I had another copy before that. Probably wore it out then grabbed this one as a replacement.

Gotta love that early Troma stuff. It was a reliable source of boobs in the pre-internet days. I wasn't old enough to rent the adult movies, but you could grab Toxie, or Class of Nuke 'Em High, etc at any local Kroger video store. A golden age of trash!

Recent Copper Age sales worth noting . . . :bigsmile:

More . . . :bigsmile:

And even more . . . :bigsmile:

OMG - Copper is HOTTTTTTTTTTTTT! :banana:

Some of those are kind of minor keys. I think putting 9.8 on a listing for a raw book is borderline deceitful and I avoid sellers who do it but it looks like most of these guys have strong feedback. Probably selling to novices who aren't slabbing these books they're paying a big premium for.

11 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Some of those are kind of minor keys. I think putting 9.8 on a listing for a raw book is borderline deceitful and I avoid sellers who do it but it looks like most of these guys have strong feedback. Probably selling to novices who aren't slabbing these books they're paying a big premium for.

Not "most of these guys"; just one guy

5 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not "most of these guys"; just one guy

How do you know it's just one guy? The sellers' usernames are suspiciously similar now that you mention it. Think he's using multiple accounts so he can just ditch the ones that get negative feedback?

I really wasn't privy to some of these Ebay manipulation tactics before I came here :whatthe:

2 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

How do you know it's just one guy? The sellers' usernames are suspiciously similar now that you mention it. Think he's using multiple accounts so he can just ditch the ones that get negative feedback?

I really wasn't privy to some of these Ebay manipulation tactics before I came here :whatthe:

Multiple accounts = more free listings.

2 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

All the same guy. He's upfront about it. He's manipulating eBay to get more free listings.