• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Building a Wall Unit for CGC slabs.

124 posts in this topic

I trace the outline of the backing and remove the shelves. I used my 6 foot level clamped down as a guide for my cordless saw. A veneer blade is a must for cutting thin stock like this.

But first I scored the line with a sharp utility knife. Made several passes. This reduces the amount of splintering to almost zero, and this thin krap likes to splinter.

wallunitforcomics018.jpg

Nice trick (the level w/the quick clamps)- hadn't thought of that.

Works good for ripping a board when you don't have a table saw, too.

I have a Bosch table saw but by the time I set it up and get everything lined up, its not worth it for a couple of small cuts. This is the easy route.

He's a manly man that does manly things in a manly way. (worship)

Yup - I'm guessing he has stubble on purpose.

Why didn't you paint it before you stuck the back panel on? Then you'd just have some touch-up work.

You going to line the grooves with felt, as well?

hm

Why didn't you paint it before you stuck the back panel on? Then you'd just have some touch-up work.

You going to line the grooves with felt, as well?

hm

Sal, I wanted to assemble this quick and in the basement. Painting everything before assembly would have been better and I would have done it like that if the weather was warm.

It was fairly easy to paint in the basement though. If it would have been warm out I probably would have sprayed it.

I hadn't thought of felt in the rail. Gives me an idea. I don't remove my slabs from the CGC bags anyway, but I just may see if can find some type of felt strips to lay in the rails. Sounds like a good idea.

I also decided the beige color looked like krap and went with a shade of green a little darker than the walls. I like it. It's going to look a little retro when its done.

You also need to get your contest guess's in on time. I'll sent you a P.M. next year a week in advance for a heads up. :baiting:

Michael's or any Piece Good shop should be your huckleberry

Ah - Doc Holliday... :cloud9:

Michael's or any Piece Good shop should be your huckleberry

Ah - Doc Holliday... :cloud9:

I'll run by Michaels tomarrow and see what they have. I thought he was calling me Huckleberry Hound. :baiting:

Now, you said you leave your slabs in the bags. Do you plan on displaying them on your new shelf in the ratty mess bags CGC sends them to you in? Or have you purchased third party slab bags?

:baiting:

Do you plan on displaying them on your new shelf in the ratty mess bags CGC sends them to you in?

:sorry:

What self-respecting collector would leave they're slabs in those blurry, I can't see what it is, cloud filled bags.

Do you plan on displaying them on your new shelf in the ratty mess bags CGC sends them to you in?

What self-respecting collector would leave they're slabs in those blurry, I can't see what it is, cloud filled bags.

You do realize that CGC simply reuses old colostomy bags to use as the bags they ship the slabs out in, don't you?

:sick:

You do realize that CGC simply reuses old colostomy bags to use as the bags they ship the slabs out in, don't you?

:sick:

I always remove my submissions from the box with surgical gloves on.

Back outside this morning. What a pain in the azz little projects like this turn out to be. You end up pulling all kinds of tools out and making a mess.

I layed the unit on top of my oak backing and squared it up. Then clamp everything down.

You can see the putty where I filled the nail heads. We'll take care of that later.

wallunitforcomics017.jpg

Posts like this remind me why I hire folks to do little projects.

When I attempt them, they end up taking five times as long and costing twice as much as than if I'd just hired someone who knew what they were doing in the first place.

Hope this turns out well, you deserve it.

This thread contains all kinds of awesomeness.

:applause:

Looking forward to seeing the finished shelves populated with some beautiful books.

My wife is the local Ikea Store manager so unfortunately high quality, sturdy furniture has no place in our home :(