• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Building a Wall Unit for CGC slabs.

124 posts in this topic

That looks excellent. Well done, and I love that it doesn't extend all the way to the floor. Much cooler this way.

Thanks, I wanted to be just above the electrical outlet and maximize the wall space to the side of the open door. It only sticks out about 3-1/2" and really takes up little usable space for the amount of books it holds.

Beautiful work. (worship)

One suggestion? If you're not putting doors on it, might I suggest a putting some sort of thing elastic band across each row? One that stretches from side to side, maybe at the level between the label and top of the book, to make sure a bump doesn't knock one forward and it falls. Flexible enough to stretch out so you can slide the slab in, but will hold them in no matter what.

What's the lighting like in your basement, Small windows, pot lights? Are you worried at all about fading?

I posted this earlier in the thread. The books on the rack for the pictures are just on there for the pictures. They went right back into the safe. There are no windows in that room.

I just wanted to build a rack to display books when needed, and because I have nothing better to do.

What's the lighting like in your basement, Small windows, pot lights? Are you worried at all about fading?

I posted this earlier in the thread. The books on the rack for the pictures are just on there for the pictures. They went right back into the safe. There are no windows in that room.

I just wanted to build a rack to display books when needed, and because I have nothing better to do.

Sorry, I did see you mention that the big money books weren't going to stay on there, but I assume your mess books are still pretty awesome lol

No windows, got it.

I trace the outline of the backing and remove the shelves. I used my 6 foot level clamped down as a guide for my cordless saw. A veneer blade is a must for cutting thin stock like this.

But first I scored the line with a sharp utility knife. Made several passes. This reduces the amount of splintering to almost zero, and this thin krap likes to splinter.

wallunitforcomics018.jpg

Nice trick (the level w/the quick clamps)- hadn't thought of that.

In Cincinnati those are not known as clamps, they are known as "Heeny Honkers"

Nice work Dr. X and thanks for the comments on the primered wood, I have not used that stuff as of yet and will probably steer clear of it.

Nice work Dr. X and thanks for the comments on the primered wood, I have not used that stuff as of yet and will probably steer clear of it.

Let me be a little more specific. For the most part, it seemed o.k. but here's my issue. The finish is obviously sprayed on or coated with something. If you look at the stack of the pre-cut lengths in the beginning you may be able to see the problem.

wallunitforcomics004.jpg

You can see how thick the white coating is on two of the boards. It was almost like a whole thick layer of this stuff was added on to make it the proper width. The stuff seemed to chip pretty easy leaving pieces out here and there that I had to fill and sand. Made more work for me.

This stuff looked good and I thought I would try it out. It probably would be o.k. in certain situations but I wouldn't use it again for this type of thing. I'd just stick with regular pine or something.