• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Building a Wall Unit for CGC slabs.

124 posts in this topic

I sealed up the back with a couple of coats of clear urethane. I should be hanging this baby up later today.

I need to locate the studs first and get everything lined up. I'll be attaching it with two sprax screws wth a washer type head and a number 40 torqx bit. I have some felt pads for the back as I don't want the wall scraped or scratched.

sprxscrews001.jpg

sprxscrews003.jpg

I used an eletronic stud finder to locate the centers. I also marked the height of the top. I cut two 1 x 4 kickers to hold the unit in place while I lined everything up and got it level.

I marked my drill holes on the support board and put it in place. I drill through the support and into the stud with a pilot hole. Then used a ratchet to screw the sprax in. Just made them snug as not to crush the felt. Then rechecked for level and drilled the second hole.

finishedcabinet003.jpg

I ended up painting it a little darker shade than the walls. Hard to take good pics down there with the ceiling lights. My daughter got a new camers for Christmas. I'll see if I can con her into taking some better pics. It looks retro and I really like the way it turned out. I have to try and find those felt rolls like Sal suggested to put in the rail tracks.

I also found some decorative blocks that I added to the top corners. I think I'll pick out a piece of scrolled molding to go across the top to give it a finished look. I made the unit just wide enough so there is no conflict with the door to the right when its opened.

finishedcabinet004.jpg

You can see how the felt pads keep an air space behind, and keep from pressing into the wall.

finishedcabinet005.jpg

I have some free space on the wall next to the desk. I'm thinking about building another narrow unit for two slabs wide and four deep. I won't bore anyone to death with another construction thread if I do. :makepoint:

finishedcabinet014.jpg

finishedcabinet015.jpg