• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashcan Copies

34 posts in this topic

So what's the purpose of the modern Ash Cans? The old ones were for copyright reasons but it looks like the modern ones are just another variant.

Some modern ash cans were given out as promos, or special thank yous for fans. Others are true ashcans in the publishing sense, used as test issues for retailers to see the product in advance.

So what's the purpose of the modern Ash Cans? The old ones were for copyright reasons but it looks like the modern ones are just another variant.
Back in like 1990 when I went to my first and only con a lot of the small press stuff was printed in ashcan format, most likely because it was cheaper at the time. They all seemed to be in print runs of between 25 and a few hundred. I don't know if they called them ashcans when they weren't just a pulpy cover miniature version of a regular comic though. I think the mainstream jumped on that as a way to sell more copies of the same thing. I bet Wizard did an article about how valuable ashcans were right before the craze lol