• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just read Superior Spider-Man 1...

149 posts in this topic

If you have complete run to 700,you know they will put the damn Superior thing back to Amazing Spider-Man like at 750.Then I'll have to get all the back issues. doh!

I used to think the same way, but this is the last straw for me. I'm tired of the gimmicks, I'm tired of the renumbering over and over again, I'm tired of lazy storytelling, and I'm tired of paying more and more for new issues and getting less and less enjoyment out of it (this rant can be cut and pasted for any number of other Marvel/DC books over the last couple of years). I mean, for the price it cost me to get ASM 698-700, I could have ordered any of the Amazing Spider-Man Essential editions (if I didn't have them already) and gotten almost 20X the story material with something I actually enjoy reading.

I thought that sticking with the title through embarrassments like OMD and Sins Past meant I'd keep getting the title no matter what -- but enough just feels like enough. A few issues are left for me to finish a complete ASM run from 1-700 -- that's going to matter a lot more to me than anything that I could go back and get afterward,

My pet peeve is there is way too many variant covers. It`s not just Marvel and DC,as the independents like Image and Dynamite are making even more variants.

I just want to buy the comic book,read it, and not have to worry about hunting down and paying extra money for variant covers.

The ASM Ditko 700 variant cover is already going for over $500 on EBay!

ASM #700 VARIANT DITKO COVER= BIG BUCKS ON EBAY

OCT120627.jpg

I can't say I'm upset I ended my ASM run at 700. That's 3.99 a month I can put towards SA and BA instead. Modern comics are making it easier and easier for people like me to make that call.

I made that call over 10 years ago and have never looked back. I can now take the cash I used to spend on moderns I wasn't really enjoying anyway and spend it on GA/SA/BA that I will enjoy. :banana:

They've killed Doc oc, Harry and Norman Osborn, Aunt May, Peter's parents, and now Peter Parker. Why don't they just bring back Gwen. I always preferred her over MJ anyway.

If they did, they'd probably just do something stupid like make her have an out-of-character, out-of-the-blue, bad-soap-opera-moment, one-night stand with Norman Osborn or something equally contrived.

Oh, wait a minute ...

:facepalm:

If you have complete run to 700,you know they will put the damn Superior thing back to Amazing Spider-Man like at 750.Then I'll have to get all the back issues. doh!

I used to think the same way, but this is the last straw for me. I'm tired of the gimmicks, I'm tired of the renumbering over and over again, I'm tired of lazy storytelling, and I'm tired of paying more and more for new issues and getting less and less enjoyment out of it (this rant can be cut and pasted for any number of other Marvel/DC books over the last couple of years). I mean, for the price it cost me to get ASM 698-700, I could have ordered any of the Amazing Spider-Man Essential editions (if I didn't have them already) and gotten almost 20X the story material with something I actually enjoy reading.

I thought that sticking with the title through embarrassments like OMD and Sins Past meant I'd keep getting the title no matter what -- but enough just feels like enough. A few issues are left for me to finish a complete ASM run from 1-700 -- that's going to matter a lot more to me than anything that I could go back and get afterward,

My pet peeve is there is way too many variant covers. It`s not just Marvel and DC,as the independents like Image and Dynamite are making even more variants.

I just want to buy the comic book,read it, and not have to worry about hunting down and paying extra money for variant covers.

OCT120627.jpg

No disrespect, but what is stopping you doing what you want to. Why can't you just buy the regular cover and read it. If you don't like variants, why do you have to 'worry' about buying them?

if you don't like something, don't engage in it. leave it to those who do enjoy it.

Who is making you buy the variants? Society?

OCD, which is why Marvel, DC and the other comic companies make these idiotic fake-variants. It's truly sad, just like all those poor people paying money on fremium iOS games - they just can't help being suckers.

OCD, which is why Marvel, DC and the other comic companies make these idiotic fake-variants. It's truly sad, just like all those poor people paying money on fremium iOS games - they just can't help being suckers.

So Marvel and DC are responsible for collectors' lack of self control? There's a simple solution to eliminating unwanted commodities: Don't buy them.

OCT120627.jpg

No disrespect, but what is stopping you doing what you want to. Why can't you just buy the regular cover and read it. If you don't like variants, why do you have to 'worry' about buying them?

if you don't like something, don't engage in it. leave it to those who do enjoy it.

Because back in the day to be considered worthy you had to be real good and iconic(Detective 27, AF 15, Avengers 1,Uncanny X-men 94, and TMNT #1), but now they just print an extra different cover or two for artificial worth.

They are manufacturing collectibles.

Next they will just print super duper comics with a print runs of only 10,then we will see how much people will enjoy collecting comic books with low print runs like that!

hm

So Marvel and DC are responsible for collectors' lack of self control? There's a simple solution to eliminating unwanted commodities: Don't buy them.

OCD is a real disease, just like alcoholism and drug addiction, so would you tell a heroin addict to "just don't buy them" when he's in the throes of withdrawal? doh!

It's just kind of sad that Marvel and DC are joining the likes of the alcohol and cigarette manufacturers.

OCD is a real disease, just like alcoholism and drug addiction, so would you tell a heroin addict to "just don't buy them" when he's in the throes of withdrawal? doh!

It's just kind of sad that Marvel and DC are joining the likes of the alcohol and cigarette manufacturers.

Yikes. This is the analogy you want to go with?

Heh. I quit reading Spiderman at around issue #200 over 30 years and have never looked back.

That said, I really don't know what the fuss is all about. The doorway for Peter Parker to come back is so wide and obvious, it's just a matter of waiting out the tedium of ho-hum story lines before it happens. I'm sure in a few years it'll come out that Pete's mind was in his old body all along and simply suppressed with Doc Oct's memories or something. It's not like they killed him off mind, body, and soul. This story vehicle has been used a hundred times already in other stories, not just comics.

Heh. I quit reading Spiderman at around issue #200 over 30 years and have never looked back.

That said, I really don't know what the fuss is all about. The doorway for Peter Parker to come back is so wide and obvious, it's just a matter of waiting out the tedium of ho-hum story lines before it happens. I'm sure in a few years it'll come out that Pete's mind was in his old body all along and simply suppressed with Doc Oct's memories or something. It's not like they killed him off mind, body, and soul. This story vehicle has been used a hundred times already in other stories, not just comics.

I was thinking the same storyline outcome as well.

They are manufacturing collectibles.

This was pretty much what the sports card industry did starting in the 1990's. It worked out so well it drove out a lot of long-term collectors (who got sick of the increased cost and the futility of trying to collect everything as card companies piled on with too many sets and a gazillion "rare" cards). Since those same factors (coupled with the "rare valuable" card getting rendered nearly worthless by the time the next, even-more-rare card was released -- similar to what you see with comic variants now) proved a deterrent to new collectors entering the hobby, you got to see the sports card industry crash and burn.

While to some extent it's an apples-to-orange comparisons between the two industries (as a book with a story to be consumed, a comic has added value/entertainment beyond its collectible nature that a sports card simply doesn't), I'm not sure that's the business model the comic industry wants to emulate. In repeating a number of mistakes of the 1990's, the people running your major comic companies seem to be of the "We'll ignore the past so we're doomed to repeat it" mentality, or at least that's a pretty fair assessment seeing the number of gimmicks put out every month as a panacea to falling sales.

Heaven forbid someone at Marvel or DC come up with a long-term approach to building up a comic audience when they can just throw 10 variant covers out there, or a new #1 (again), or "kill" someone for the 20th time instead.

Since the cat is out of the bag about Peter. Can we now look at the people on EBay paying $2000 for ungraded raw copies of a 1:200 book where in a year nothing would have really changed in the series?

Everyone should have seen this coming. You don't kill off the strongest seller in your franchise. You say he's dead, hype it, and really off your customer base that bought 10x more comics that month than they really wanted to.

Yikes. This is the analogy you want to go with?

Far better than your play of "blame the victim" and laugh off OCD as fiction.

and I quote:

So Marvel and DC are responsible for collectors' lack of self control?

My OCD will keep me buying the series. :sorry: I am so close to a complete run, I can't stop now. Could give a rat's arse about variants though...