• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I just played the beta for Tom Clancy's The Division. It was interesting but seemed like there was too much going on for my taste at all times.
It was a little busy, man was it pretty though.

The Dark Zone stuff was a tad confusing too, hopefully that's just because of the small sample size.

I just played the beta for Tom Clancy's The Division. It was interesting but seemed like there was too much going on for my taste at all times.
It was a little busy, man was it pretty though.

The Dark Zone stuff was a tad confusing too, hopefully that's just because of the small sample size.

i like it i find it to be just like Destiny with more MMO/ RPG elements to it. the Dark Zones are like raids with the extra element that you can kill everyone in your group at the end to keep the gear they pick up.

I enjoyed The Division but it felt slow and clunky. I also didn't feel like the grind was worth it. My friend jumped up to level 8 so we couldn't go in the Darkness Zone together, so we grinded up to level 8. It was redundant and boring. We also didn't get loot that great.

Then we went in the DZ which was fun, but it got boring quick. With three of us, it was easy to take over people. Then all of a sudden the map was empty of people. Then we went into another area and were suddenly overwhelmed by the sheer number of people. It was odd.

The level thing was annoying. We should have all been able to go into the darkness zone regardless of level.

At the end of the day, I'm going back to Destiny.

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

Who's playing Street Fighter 5 and why aren't we playing right now?
It looks a little SFIII ish to me, so I'm hesitant to get it.

Any review you'd like to share?

SF3: 3S is, imo, one of the best, most competitive fighting games ever made so comparing it to SF3 would be great.

It's a little clunky like SF4 was when it first came out but once you get used to the movement, it plays like alpha/sf3 in that pressure is what wins you games...especially in the corner. Right now, it's rewarding aggressive play which I like but it's an infant in the fighting game world so I'm sure it'll progress a ton.

Them "dumbing" the game down was needed after the option select mess-show that SF4 became. There's still technical stuff to be done but there's no replacement for really good footsies/fundamentals. Almost the entire cast has good anti-airs so it really forces you to stay on the ground and play honest.

As far as single player stuff...it's horrible. I've never seen a game release with so little to do for people who want to just play story mode or have combo challenges. BUT, if you just care about playing people (which you should...it's a fighter), it's off to a good start and should be getting better the more people explore.

A fantastic game called Samorost 3 (official website) was just released yesterday. I bought it immediately (through Steam) and it's every bit as good as I hoped.

The game is made by the Amanita studios in the Czech Republic. These game designers also made Machinarium, Botanicula, and previous Samorost games. The new game, Samorost 3, is their most ambitious yet -- with more screens, levels and puzzles, and also more richly detailed settings, graphics, sound and music. It's said they spent over 5 years developing it.

That said, the style of gameplay is old-school. It's a 2-D style game witha little character who walks around solving puzzles. That's it. You can play the whole game using only a mouse. (The newly designed 2-D screens have introduced advanced parallax effects, so it feels new and immersive even though it's a primitive style of gameplay.) The approach is very simple and direct.

The music, by Tomas Dvorak (aka Floex), is phenomenal. This is the kind of music you can listen to on its own, repeatedly. I'm a big fan of Dvorak's soundtrack for Machinarium, and this is right up there with it.

The price of $20 is really low for a brand-new game. I can't recommend this enough! I think everybody here who loves good animation, storytelling, richly imaginative design, and high-quality craftsmanship will appreciate Samorost 3.

One more thing: I am the kind of person who grew up on early videogames like Infocom's Zork and other interactive text adventures, as well as Atari games including the original 2-D game "Adventure." I love that stuff; it's a part of who I am, which is why the book "Ready Player One" made me feel kind of funny because it encapsulated my formative cultural experiences. Anyway, this game, Samorost 3, is exactly the kind of thing that is perfect for somebody like me -- and also perfect for the children of somebody like me. It's something where you can play it as an adult, or you can sit down with your child and play it alongside them, and have a really enjoyable experience. You could sit there smoking a doob (only recommended in states where's it's legal, okay?!) and the game will send you out into the cosmos, or you could put the game on with all your church grandmothers and they'd love it too. That's how much I like this game...

Listen to this awesome music:

Here's the game's teaser video:

Well since the last talk about the division was about the beta, the full game has since been released. Have to say it's pretty awesome, still have to buy the season pass so I can get the extra stuff whenever that comes out

Well since the last talk about the division was about the beta, the full game has since been released. Have to say it's pretty awesome, still have to buy the season pass so I can get the extra stuff whenever that comes out
same here

A fantastic game called Samorost 3 (official website) was just released yesterday. I bought it immediately (through Steam) and it's every bit as good as I hoped.

The game is made by the Amanita studios in the Czech Republic. These game designers also made Machinarium, Botanicula, and previous Samorost games. The new game, Samorost 3, is their most ambitious yet -- with more screens, levels and puzzles, and also more richly detailed settings, graphics, sound and music. It's said they spent over 5 years developing it.

That said, the style of gameplay is old-school. It's a 2-D style game witha little character who walks around solving puzzles. That's it. You can play the whole game using only a mouse. (The newly designed 2-D screens have introduced advanced parallax effects, so it feels new and immersive even though it's a primitive style of gameplay.) The approach is very simple and direct.

The music, by Tomas Dvorak (aka Floex), is phenomenal. This is the kind of music you can listen to on its own, repeatedly. I'm a big fan of Dvorak's soundtrack for Machinarium, and this is right up there with it.

The price of $20 is really low for a brand-new game. I can't recommend this enough! I think everybody here who loves good animation, storytelling, richly imaginative design, and high-quality craftsmanship will appreciate Samorost 3.

One more thing: I am the kind of person who grew up on early videogames like Infocom's Zork and other interactive text adventures, as well as Atari games including the original 2-D game "Adventure." I love that stuff; it's a part of who I am, which is why the book "Ready Player One" made me feel kind of funny because it encapsulated my formative cultural experiences. Anyway, this game, Samorost 3, is exactly the kind of thing that is perfect for somebody like me -- and also perfect for the children of somebody like me. It's something where you can play it as an adult, or you can sit down with your child and play it alongside them, and have a really enjoyable experience. You could sit there smoking a doob (only recommended in states where's it's legal, okay?!) and the game will send you out into the cosmos, or you could put the game on with all your church grandmothers and they'd love it too. That's how much I like this game...

Listen to this awesome music:

Here's the game's teaser video:

[font:Book Antiqua]From your list I only had played Machinarium,

equally beautiful and difficult.

Once I see the trailer I feel in love, same dynamic and quality,

I will buy the game when it come to PS3 or 4...

[/font]

(thumbs u

Despite my reservations, I ended up pick up The Division for Xbox One. I'm really enjoying it! I maxed out levels and am running the DZ. I'm trying to get to 50 in there so I can start buying all the gold blueprints and upgrading. It is pretty fun.

It isn't the perfect game, but it fits the bill and fills the void while I wait for new content in Destiny on the 12th.

Anyone else playing The Division? Thoughts?

I have an extra Dreamcast that I picked up in a lot. The fan is noisy, 3rd party controller, no memory cards, no games, no video cable but it works. if anyone is interested shoot me a pm. you will have to pay for the medium flat rate box shipping.

Dark Souls III :cloud9:

Yes!!!!!! When I saw that it made my day, the giant at the end of the trailer was awesome!

Amen, just like the Dragon God in the intro to Demon's souls :headbang:

Two more days!!! :banana:

Yes!!!!!! When I saw that it made my day, the giant at the end of the trailer was awesome!

I was tempted to jump through the hoops to get the Japanese version, come on Tuesday!

I was tempted to jump through the hoops to get the Japanese version, come on Tuesday!

It did suck that they got it a month before we did, but the hardest thing has been not looking at any spoilers online.

I've been playing a while and am now in the undead village part. Its a cool game but it feels more like Bloodborne then a souls game.