• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Collection of buried Atari cartridges sells for over $100,000 (Link)

One town's trash is another man's treasure.

Given, calling the stash of old video games found in a landfill in Alamogordo, New Mexico “trash” isn’t entirely fair. The Atari 2600 cartridges, which were buried after the video game crash of 1983, quickly became an urban legend. The town decided to solve the mystery last April by digging up the landfill, resulting in a hoard of old, busted games.

So are they worth anything? It turns out that yes, they most certainly are. The city has wrapped up its sale of 881 cartridges found in the landfill, earning $107,930 through a series of eBay auctions. (To save you the math, that works out to $122.50 per cartridge.)

Showcasing the fanatical interest in the long-buried cartridges, officials say they found buyers from across the world, including Australia, France, Brazil and Singapore. Shipping costs alone for the games topped $26,000.

The city of Alamogordo will receive $65,037 of the funds, with an additional $16,259 going to the Tularosa Basin Historical Society.

Though most famous for housing tons of unsold copies of the terrible E.T. game, a wealth of other Atari titles were found in the landfill. Titles like Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Pele's Soccer, Yar's Revenge, Baseball, Centipede, and Warlords comprised the bulk of the Alamogordo sale. There was at least one copy of E.T. in the mix, selling for a whopping $1,535 to become the single biggest earner.

Alamogordo kept most of the cartridges from the dig. Filmmakers were allowed to take 100 and 23 were given to museums.

Joe Lewandowski, the garbage contractor who remembered burying the games and was responsible for helping the crew locate them last year, says he's still holding on to 297 E.T. cartridges, partially in hopes that Hollywood, which has seemingly never met a film it's not willing to make again, attempts to remake the classic.

"There's 297 we're still holding in an archive that we'll sell at a later date when we decide what to do with them," he said. "I might sell those if a second movie comes out but for now we're just holding them."

The new stuff for Destiny is incredible. Taken King really improves on a majority of the flaws with the game, and I can honestly say I'm loving it. It's been a while since a next gen game pulled me in and made me interested.

If anyone is on and playing, my gamer tag is Sonicjuce.

The new stuff for Destiny is incredible. Taken King really improves on a majority of the flaws with the game, and I can honestly say I'm loving it. It's been a while since a next gen game pulled me in and made me interested.

yeah it's a big improvement on the game and i love how it has evolve these past year. the quest system has you during so much more in game.

Some awesome pictures of the NES display at FAO Scharz in 1986. Full thread here.

We managed to figure out the games in the second to last pic are

Baseball, Wild Gunman, Clu Clu Land,

Golf, Hogan's Alley, Ice Climber

Tennis, Stack Up, Pinball,

Soccer, Wrecking Crew, Kung Fu

10 Yd Fight, Excitebike, Super Mario Bros

(that last row is mostly obscured from view).

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=5&threadid=153441

2vnkntf.jpg

2zfitxe.jpg

2ikd560.jpg

o901fl.jpg

2hex44j.jpg

2gw982b.jpg

1585ht4.jpg

2cggab5.jpg

yeah it's a big improvement on the game and i love how it has evolve these past year. the quest system has you during so much more in game.

Yea I'm still going strong on Destiny and loving it. I'm tempted to cancel my pre orders on some games and wait till they drop in price. I'm enjoying Taken King enough that I'm good, I think.

I've only just got around to playing The Walking Dead by TellTale games. I finished Season 1 last night and just downloaded 400days and Season 2.

Not sure how many of you are old school Adventure gamers like me (Sam & Max, Grim Fandango, Broken Sword etc) but I am loving these games. They've really energised a somewhat stagnant genre. Great story telling & acting, a little glitchey here and there but I can cope with that.

I also finished Grim Fandango Remastered before starting Walking Dead, its great they included commentary throughout the game.

One of my favourite Lucasarts games of all time.

I've only just got around to playing The Walking Dead by TellTale games. I finished Season 1 last night and just downloaded 400days and Season 2.

Not sure how many of you are old school Adventure gamers like me (Sam & Max, Grim Fandango, Broken Sword etc) but I am loving these games. They've really energised a somewhat stagnant genre. Great story telling & acting, a little glitchey here and there but I can cope with that.

I also finished Grim Fandango Remastered before starting Walking Dead, its great they included commentary throughout the game.

One of my favourite Lucasarts games of all time.

if you like the old lucas games, the OA for the back cover of one of the monkey island games hit ebay way back in 07. IIRC ending price was around 5k

https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/2422

a rough painted prelim for one of them went around 2500 IIRC a couple years later

http://talesofmi.net/?p=848

Those of you with interest in video game box illustration, please check out https://www.facebook.com/BoxArtDoc/?fref=ts . Its a documentary for which I have today signed on with as producer.

Unlike comic illustrators, these incredibly talented artists were never credited on the work, but the time has come to share their stories and names with the world. I have no doubt that learning more about their work will lead you to appreciate the material in a whole new way.

I hope you'll follow our progress as we work towards a tentative early 2018 release date. thank you all!

Kinda of disappointed I'm not playing call of duty right now, and have to wait till Friday ,

The game looks ok, the main reason I play the game though is for the multiplayer, get to talk to guys I haven't talked to since they got tired of playing the last call of duty or battlefield