• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage 2013 February 21-23 Vintage Comics & Comic Art Auction

274 posts in this topic

I agree with LB Jeffries on that. That is exactly what happened. I thought the MT and 303 cover did quite well. The only one I was expecting to do better was the spidey 3. I think that was the steal of the auction actually. Lets see if we are having the same discussion 2 years from now.

I agree with LB Jeffries on that. That is exactly what happened. I thought the MT and 303 cover did quite well. The only one I was expecting to do better was the spidey 3. I think that was the steal of the auction actually. Lets see if we are having the same discussion 2 years from now.

I thought Spidey 3 was a steal too. Iw as tempted to bid when I saw it stall at 30K but I did not.

but you are right, lets see how we feel in a few years.

Malvin

You know its funny I have been reading this thread and I will only speak for myself although I do know a lot of people who feel the same way but I would take spiderman 1 or 328 over the 121 cover all day long.

Matthew

Well, that's you Matt....McSpidey has been "beddy beddy goood to you". lol

AsM #303: 77k

Marvel Tales 233 (with X-Men): 45k

SpM #3: 33k.

Whatever happened with McFarlane market? Any theories?

Nothing really. It looks the same to me, outliers excepted.

The meat and potatoes top shelf of the McSpidey market is ASM, the Flagship Title. That book, and pages and covers from it will always outstrip, in value, similar pages and covers from either "Spider-man" or "Marvel Tales" outside of singular iconic images or touchstones to the hype of that era.

Before the "Groin Punch of Destiny" cover sale, most all cash auction sales of McSpidey would have brought oohs and aaahhs from the peanut gallery. Now everyone's gaze has been artificially raised by one or two very specific outliers with very specific details behind the same that do not apply to everything else being offered.

You know its funny I have been reading this thread and I will only speak for myself although I do know a lot of people who feel the same way but I would take spiderman 1 or 328 over the 121 cover all day long. This storyline came out way before I was born and the spiderman I grew up with had little to nothing to do with Gwen Stacey so it would have to really awe me artistically and this piece of a shot of spideys back doesnt do it. In fact I could care less about it. Mcfarlane on the other hand those images of spidey 1 and 328 have been in my head since I was a kid. Nostalgia really does play a huge role in this stuff.

Matt, I know you're far from the only person that feels this way, and it's kind of scary to me that ASM #121 and the Death of Gwen Stacy storyline is already losing out in the battle for hearts and minds among the McSpidey generation of collectors. I say that because, if something as monumentous as the Death of Gwen Stacy is already fading in terms of nostalgia, well, that would seem to portend a bleak outlook for a lot of other allegedly significant OA pieces in the coming decades. :(

I will say, though, that I do think a strong case can be made for the McSpidey #1 cover being worth more than the ASM #121 cover. It is, after all, probably the most iconic comic book cover of the past 25 years. The #328 cover, though...not so much, to put it charitably.

You know its funny I have been reading this thread and I will only speak for myself although I do know a lot of people who feel the same way but I would take spiderman 1 or 328 over the 121 cover all day long. This storyline came out way before I was born and the spiderman I grew up with had little to nothing to do with Gwen Stacey so it would have to really awe me artistically and this piece of a shot of spideys back doesnt do it. In fact I could care less about it. Mcfarlane on the other hand those images of spidey 1 and 328 have been in my head since I was a kid. Nostalgia really does play a huge role in this stuff.

Matt, I know you're far from the only person that feels this way, and it's kind of scary to me that ASM #121 and the Death of Gwen Stacy storyline is already losing out in the battle for hearts and minds among the McSpidey generation of collectors. I say that because, if something as monumentous as the Death of Gwen Stacy is already fading in terms of nostalgia, well, that would seem to portend a bleak outlook for a lot of other allegedly significant OA pieces in the coming decades. :(

I will say, though, that I do think a strong case can be made for the McSpidey #1 cover being worth more than the ASM #121 cover. It is, after all, probably the most iconic comic book cover of the past 25 years. The #328 cover, though...not so much, to put it charitably.

But Gene, I remember when the 328 came out....it spurred a wave of "groin violence" across the globe.

It was being taught in self defense classes:

groinpunch2_zpsd22a700c.jpg

Even the elderly took joy in a well placed nut-shot:

groinkick_zpse996388e.jpg

It finally reached its apex when innocent children's toys took part in the mayhem:

Groinpunch_zps0b358137.jpg

It was a cultural phenomenon!! :ohnoez:

heh heh. Seriously though Chris if all the mcspideys would tank and go down to nothing in value I would be a hell of a lot happier then I am now. I would just buy everything under the sun.

Ya I am not proud to say I could care less about the Death of Gwen Stacy just indifferent. If people like it and it rings the same bells the 80's/90's stuff does for me I am all for it. Just sharing my perspective. I wouldn't go too far in claiming the death of gwen stacy story arc is to comicdom what the godfather is to cinema either. I can tell that the story is very important to you but I wouldn't denigrate the other opinion that the story is meaningless to many others who like certain stories or other aspects of art with the same passion. Personally I like the Goblin splash Fish posted on caf from the story a lot more then the cover because going back to my original point the art speaks for itself as opposed to riding on the back of what some perceive to be some sort of turning point in the history of comics because of their time frame with it. Again that may sound insulting but I wouldn't do that to ya because I know that story probably really resonates with ya and this is pure speculation but if you were born in the late 80's or later do you really think you would go back through all the spidey comics and that story would hit you the same way? Different strokes for different folks.

if you were born in the late 80's or later do you really think you would go back through all the spidey comics and that story would hit you the same way? Different strokes for different folks.

I don't know if everyone feels exactly that way.

I mean, I was born in the 70's. My favorite comics in my comic collection are Amazing Fantasy 15, Action Comics 17, and Captain America Comics 14.

There's something about the history, and continuity, of these characters that means something even if you weren't around to experience them first hand as a child.

The best stories punch you in the nads regardless of personal nostalgia. There's natural born nostalgia and "acquired nostalgia".

For example, over the course of my collecting life, it would be impossible for me to not feel the weight of Ditko and Romita and Andu and Kane and everything that was built up and through the copper and modern age.

if you were born in the late 80's or later do you really think you would go back through all the spidey comics and that story would hit you the same way? Different strokes for different folks.

I don't know if everyone feels exactly that way.

I mean, I was born in the 70's. My favorite comics in my comic collection are Amazing Fantasy 15, Action Comics 17, and Captain America Comics 14.

There's something about the history, and continuity, of these characters that means something even if you weren't around to experience them first hand as a child.

The best stories punch you in the nads regardless of personal nostalgia. There's natural born nostalgia and "acquired nostalgia".

For example, over the course of my collecting life, it would be impossible for me to not feel the weight of Ditko and Romita and Andu and Kane and everything that was built up and through the copper and modern age.

I think I fall along the same lines of thinking as you do.

Wait a second now I do too,lol. No one has more respect for history then I do. My point was that the artistic merit of asm 328 outweighs the perceived importance of the death of gwen stacy storyline since the cover was just a back shot of spidey for the most part. I am not trying to make a case that AF#15 and spidey 1 and Detective comics 27 are not important anymore and I hope because I am not a huge Gwen Stacy fan that you guys will not say he must think these 90's guys art is more important then historic stories. No no this is strictly about the value being credited to asm 328 and the value of the 121 cover.

I know where you are coming from Matt. Inasmuch as I totally respect the fact that many many many people love 121, it never meant that much "to me" personally. I was always a 129 guy :) Not that others are wrong to do so but I "personally" never put much weight on character deaths - 122 as well. I just viewed them as nice, well above average 70s spidey stories but I know many will disagree and I get it. Ive been around long enough to know that some very savvy guys place a lot of weight on it, but it was never for me. Diff'rent strokes as you said Matthew.

That being said I was never a big fan of the mcspidey 1 cover either so I guess I just sound like a negative nancy lol. But given he choice between hulk 340 or asm 316 and asm 121, jeez I dont think I could take the 121 personally. Mcfarlane is certainly square in my nostalgia zone though. I used to sit with a good friend and his dad and we would try and find the hidden spiders on the asm covers.

This hobby is still trying find market values due to historical relevance vs. nostalgic relevance...me personally i go with historic. i think the golden age has some of the best art out there and is the most scarce. most of it in my opinion is undervalued, i wasn't even alive then. i think what keeps it undervalued is younger nostalgic collectors spending higher dollars on more recent art.....which makes it still affordable for me.

Great post. While nostalgia is important, historical significance/importance is what survives over the long run. Or put another way, in most cases, quality prevails in the end.

I'd personally be really concerned about paying up big bucks for stuff that was driven ONLY by emotional/nostalgic resonance (e.g., vast majority of decidedly mediocre BA art, Rob Liefeld art) for the generation that was in the critical 10-16 age group when it came out, but for all other generations of collectors will be assessed on a more objective basis.

Buyers of Sal Buscema BA art or Liefeld Copper/Modern art are in or approaching their peak spending power and can afford to pay whatever they want, but in another 25-30 years, will the power buyers in that period have any interest, or will they only focus from those pieces from the 70s and 80s/90s that have stood the test of time?

Ahhhh Asm 129. Now that cover would be something to see. I saw the prelim for it years back. I have always loved that comic. I think I might take that cover over all of the ones discussed here. Has anybody ever seen that cover?

If I recall correctly, that prelim showed up in an auction on Long Island about 5 years ago. It was a gift to the consignor from Gil Kane. It went for a few thousand dollars which seemed about right at the time but was a gem nonetheless.

Ahhhh Asm 129. Now that cover would be something to see. I saw the prelim for it years back. I have always loved that comic. I think I might take that cover over all of the ones discussed here. Has anybody ever seen that cover?

me too. out of everything in this thread, that's the one I'd take :cloud9:

AsM #303: 77k

Marvel Tales 233 (with X-Men): 45k

SpM #3: 33k.

Whatever happened with McFarlane market? Any theories?

What do you mean? I think these are very strong prices, given the recent glut of supply.

Well, SpM #3 cover raised almost the same than the splashes from AsM #322 and from #319 (both of them), and half the SpM #2 cover.

I would expect more according all the huge income of fresh cash coming from the comicbook market to this hobby.

Edited to add: Congrats to Enrico and the new owner of the mythical AsM #121 cover!