• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage 2013 February 21-23 Vintage Comics & Comic Art Auction

274 posts in this topic

Boy I think that reserve really hurt the Miller DD cover. It was bid up to just under the reserve (before they posted the reserves). If I was the consignor I would have had Heritage remove the reserve once I saw how close the bidding was. Bummer. It's a nice cover.

Was it really bid to just under the reserve? For reserve price items, HA would move it to 1 bid below the reserve. I don't think there was a bidder there.

Malvin

I was watching it closely. All bids were motoring along as usual and then with a week or so to go the reserves kicked in and the prices were there with an asterix denoting the reserve wasn't met. Some pieces jumped up to double what they were at before the reserve. That one jumped up $2,000 at most.

This is a common practice, for the auction house to bid the item up to just below reserve. If it is one increment below reserve, it is almost definitely a "chandelier" bid and no actual bidder exists. I went to the auction today and they have a sign up with this stated clearly, as required by NY law.

I was targeting two pieces for definite purchase and was hoping against all odds that I would end up with the BWS Rune/Silver Surfer cover as well. I stayed to my pre-set limit and ended up the underbidder on the BWS. Since one of the 2 I was targeting for purchase was the very next item, a Paul Smith Golden Age page, there was no way I would be denied this less valuable page. So I just held my paddle up and eventually won it, at pretty much where I thought it would be or a little higher. But it has a cosmic rod in it, and that fits my Starman jones so it was worth it. Tomorrow I will slam the Heritage Live bidding on my other item now that I did not spend the $5K+ for the BWS and own that as well! mwahahahaha!

Boy I think that reserve really hurt the Miller DD cover. It was bid up to just under the reserve (before they posted the reserves). If I was the consignor I would have had Heritage remove the reserve once I saw how close the bidding was. Bummer. It's a nice cover.

Was it really bid to just under the reserve? For reserve price items, HA would move it to 1 bid below the reserve. I don't think there was a bidder there.

Malvin

I was watching it closely. All bids were motoring along as usual and then with a week or so to go the reserves kicked in and the prices were there with an asterix denoting the reserve wasn't met. Some pieces jumped up to double what they were at before the reserve. That one jumped up $2,000 at most.

This is a common practice, for the auction house to bid the item up to just below reserve. If it is one increment below reserve, it is almost definitely a "chandelier" bid and no actual bidder exists. I went to the auction today and they have a sign up with this stated clearly, as required by NY law.

Yes, I know this. What I'm trying to get across is that the DD cover was incrementally creeping up from normal bids to very close to the "one increment below reserve" BEFORE the house bid it up to this amount. Trust me.

Yes, I know this. What I'm trying to get across is that the DD cover was incrementally creeping up from normal bids to very close to the "one increment below reserve" BEFORE the house bid it up to this amount. Trust me.

Ah, ok now I understand.

This is pure speculation and I apologize in advance, but that bid pattern seems to indicate that someone knew where the reserve was and was just edging things up to get there.

Malvin

Malvin

Okay, gotcha!

Ah, ok now I understand.

This is pure speculation and I apologize in advance, but that bid pattern seems to indicate that someone knew where the reserve was and was just edging things up to get there.

Malvin

This is possible as well, for sure.

The truth is that KJ pages were ready for a correction. Watchmen, DK had already gone up and there hadn't been a public KJ auction in a while. Privately, the Bats/Joker pages were hitting 70K+ so 50K is what I predicted for this one.

Agree, right where it should be.

Great page, but wasn't sure where it would finish due to the lack of Joker. $48K is definitely toward the high end of my estimate (I didn't think the private sales would influence valuation much, if at all, as those numbers are not well known). I think what drove the bidding was the sense that this was a rare opportunity to get a killer page. We all know where most of the key pages are; they're not going anywhere, so the only chance to get one is when one emerges from the wild. That will happen less with each one that shows up. So ultimately, it didn't matter that this one didn't have the Joker; the opportunity to get a top KJ page was enough.

Winner is a buddy who's wanted one of these for a while. Very happy for him!

Interesting auction for sure.

Some definite bargains to be had in there and a few surprises...like the Paul Ryan Iron Man cover w/ Fin Fan Foom for $7k? Is there a FFF premium? I was really surprised at that one.

I thought the McFarlane stuff was about as expected after such saturation. The panel pages all did good, the 303 and MT were fine, only the Spider-Man #3 was a real shock(but that is a strange cover).

But this was the dregs of Shamus's stuff after 3 auctions that had more Todd art than we've ever seen at once. I don't think a lot of people realize how spoiled we've been the last year:)

interesting questions all even if I think the answer to most of them is no. My takes...

92086 / 92087 / 92088 - Paul Ryan - will cover art of major characters from the 90's by lesser known artists command top dollar, as what seems to have happened with the Bronze Age? yeah I think these might go for good money relative to past history

I *do* think there is a FFF premium, see above.

If you are talking comic books, strange tales 89 is maybe *the* most in demand pre hero. I had to pay $2800 for an 8.5 of that book.

"normal" price for an 8.5 of that date and title, say the issue before or after, is more like $800 tops, so a 2k premium.

And if you are talking art, well, a page from ST 89 that was not at all impressive visually went for $14k recently - the $$$ being paid were for content.

There are so few FFF appearances, and so few prehero monster appearances in regular "hero" continuity, that it was bound to do pretty well. Pre hero fans, myself included, don't have a lot to pick from in terms of covers. And, I think there are a good number of Iron Man collectors, like I used to be before I collected preheroes, that enjoy the FFF appearances.

There are really just these later appearances and the 70s reprint title covers, like this Kane I bought a little while ago. http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=939254 . If you want a prehero cover your options are few. If you are happy with a splash instead well the good ones are all kirby so you can't really get a cheap one there either. A vintage splash that doesn't suck is going to be five figures.

Some good prices for a number of pieces. I was eyeing a few to go after if they were cheap since comiclink is also coming up with pieces I want. I ended up just getting one piece, Pacheco/Neary X-Men/Brood #2 wraparound cover, will go nicely with the #1 cover from the mini. I had hoped the ASM #121 would go higher, but it still ended up a strong final hammer.

What does everyone think of so many AO auctions taking place so close together?

Bronty - Thanks for the thoughts and info! It was a swell piece and pretty badass FFF!

Brian - I think it feels like they're vulturing each other a little. Fight for Heritage's leftovers. I'd rather have a different big auction every month than this surge all at once.

And for another reason too - its a pain when I want to sell something and have to wait 3 months for all the big auctions to start!

Some good prices for a number of pieces. I was eyeing a few to go after if they were cheap since comiclink is also coming up with pieces I want. I ended up just getting one piece, Pacheco/Neary X-Men/Brood #2 wraparound cover, will go nicely with the #1 cover from the mini. I had hoped the ASM #121 would go higher, but it still ended up a strong final hammer.

What does everyone think of so many AO auctions taking place so close together?

Ah, so you did win it.

Congrats!

Malvin