• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutes, Omnibuses, Oversize, Special Editions discussion thread

374 posts in this topic

This caught my attention in DC's June solicitations:

ABSOLUTE LUTHOR/JOKER HC

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art by LEE BERMEJO and MICK GRAY

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

ADVANCE SOLICITED • On sale OCTOBER 23 • 384 pg, FC, 8.125” x 12.25”, $99.99 US

Two of DC’s greatest villains take center stage in this new Absolute edition from Eisner Award winning writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo! This slipcase contains two hardcovers and collects the LUTHOR: MAN OF STEEL 5-issue miniseries and the original graphic novel JOKER, along with sketchbook pages and more!

I mean - both of those are OK series, but wtf? I can think of plenty more Absolute-worthy things before this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the meetings where they decide what to publish...

Think I'll be giving this one a miss.

Good stories, but I wouldn't bother paying an Absolute premium for them a second time.

Just a heads up for you omnibii fans, cheapgraphicnovels.com are doing 50% off pre-orders for the new printings of X-men, Spider-man, etc.

They have the Spidey being released August 27 and the X-men on September 3rd.

This caught my attention in DC's June solicitations:

ABSOLUTE LUTHOR/JOKER HC

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art by LEE BERMEJO and MICK GRAY

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

ADVANCE SOLICITED • On sale OCTOBER 23 • 384 pg, FC, 8.125” x 12.25”, $99.99 US

Two of DC’s greatest villains take center stage in this new Absolute edition from Eisner Award winning writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo! This slipcase contains two hardcovers and collects the LUTHOR: MAN OF STEEL 5-issue miniseries and the original graphic novel JOKER, along with sketchbook pages and more!

I mean - both of those are OK series, but wtf? I can think of plenty more Absolute-worthy things before this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the meetings where they decide what to publish...

Think I'll be giving this one a miss.

these are getting to be a joke now. under 400 pages of good but not special material for 100 dollars...insane

These are the two "big books" from the latest DC solicitations that jumped out at me - think I will be buying both:

October 2013:

DC Comics One Million Omnibus HC

Writers: Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Mark Schultz, Chuck Dixon, Ian Edginton, Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning, Dennis O’Neil, Doug Moench, Alan Grant, Devin Grayson, D. Curtis Johnson, Len Kaminski, Mark Waid, Michael Jan Friedman, Ron Marz, Garth Ennis, William Messner-Loebs, John Francis Moore, Tom Peyer, John Ostrander, James Robinson, Jerry Ordway, Karl Kesel, Peter David, Christopher Priest, Chris Roberson, Dan Jurgens and Geoff Johns

Artists: Val Semeiks, Phil Jimenez, Mike Wieringo, Richard Case, Georges Jeanty, Cully Hamner, Flint Henry, Norm Breyfogle, Dusty Abell, Ron Lim, Will Rosado, Tom Grindberg, Vince Giarrano, Yvel Guichet, Mark Buckingham, Jim Balent, J.H. Williams III, Shawn Martinbrough, Greg Land, Josh Hood, Bryan Hitch, John McCrea, Craig Rousseau, Howard Porter, Keith Giffen, Sean Phillips, Greg Luzniak, Tom Mandrake, Scott McDaniel, Jerry Ordway, Butch Guice, Staz Johnson, Peter Snejbjerg, Tom Grummett, Dusty Abell, Norm Breyfogle, Anthony Williams, Michael Collins, Todd Nauck, Angel Unzueta, Roberto Flores, Jesus Merino, Dan Jurgens and others

Collects: DC One Million #1-4, Action Comics #1,000,000, Adventures of Superman #1,000,000, Aquaman #1,000,000, Azrael #1,000,000, Batman #1,000,000, Batman: Shadow of the Bat #1,000,000, Catwoman #1,000,000, Chase #1,000,000, Chronos #1,000,000, The Creeper #1,000,000, Detective Comics #1,000,000, The Flash #1,000,000, Green Arrow #1,000,000, Green Lantern #1,000,000, Hitman #1,000,000, Impulse #1,000,000, JLA #1,000,000, Legion of Super-Heroes #1,000,000, Legionnaires #1,000,000, Lobo #1,000,000, Martian Manhunter #1,000,000, Nightwing #1,000,000, Power of Shazam #1,000,000, Resurrection Man #1,000,000, Robin #1,000,000, Starman #1,000,000, Superboy #1,000,000, Supergirl #1,000,000, Superman #1,000,000, Superman: The Man of Steel #1,000,000, Superman: The Man of Tomorrow #1,000,000, Wonder Woman #1,000,000, Young Justice #1,000,000, JLA in Crisis Secret Files, DC One Million 80-Page Giant #1, Booster Gold #1,000,000 and Superman/Batman #79-80

$99.99 US, 1,024 pg

January 2014:

The Planetary Omnibus HC

Writer: Warren Ellis

Artists: John Cassaday, Jerry Ordway, Phil Jimenez and Andy Lanning

Collects: Planetary #1-27, Planetary/Batman #1, Planetary/JLA #1 and Planetary/Authority #1

$75.00 US, 832 pg

The good news on the Planetary one is that it contains all three of the crossovers - they had previously said that one (I can't remember which) would be missing.

Yup Planetary is a book I've read some of but not all of and would love to own like that...

It's such a great read when you do it all in one go. I only discovered it last year, so didn't have to suffer through the endless delays when it was coming out monthly. Thought it was fantastic as a complete arc.

I've been after the Absolutes for ages - had a couple of chances recently but baulked at the asking price. I'll buy this omni and hopefully that will satisfy me. But somehow I doubt it...

Coming in July 2013 - wooooooooo!

FANTASTIC FOUR BY JONATHAN HICKMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Penciled by SEAN CHEN, DALE EAGLESHAM, NEIL EDWARDS, STEVE EPTING, NICK DRAGOTTA & BARRY KITSON

Cover by ALAN DAVIS

Collecting DARK REIGN: FANTASTIC FOUR #1-5, FANTASTIC FOUR #570-588, FF #1-5 and material from DARK REIGN: THE CABAL #1.

736 pages

$75.00

Oh, and this as well - for those that prefer their FF old school:

THE FANTASTIC FOUR OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC (NEW PRINTING)

Written by STAN LEE & JACK KIRBY

Penciled by JACK KIRBY

Cover by JACK KIRBY

Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #1-30 and FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL (1963) #1.

848 pages

$99.99

To anyone who owns the Turtles Ultimate Collection (Vol. 1): I've seen a few comments in reviews relating to 'fuzy' artwork. Is it so bad that it distracts you or has this been overstated do you think?

Is the pic below (from earlier in this thread) a good representation of how it looks in hand?

IMG_0061_zpsce92e4e9.jpg

I hadn't noticed it being any different than any other comparable book. I would say the photo being somewhat fuzzy is my fault, and that the book was opened to the middle and curved off to both sides. So far, I have been very pleased with the quality of the IDW Limited books. I hope to have Volume 2 in hand soon, but apparently Eastman is having trouble getting the original artwork finished. I am sure he is a busy guy!

Great thread, I only pop back in once in a while to catch up but threads like this are the reason why I come back. I stopped collecting monthlies a long time ago and started collecting Absolutes, Omnibuses, etc so thank you for this! They are definitely a little more difficult to read than regular TPBs but can be more enjoyable in their own right. (I lent a Walking Dead Omnibus to a friend and she stopped reading it because she likes to read in bed, holding the book above her head and it was too heavy for her, haha)

The Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus is coming out next week. I'm thinking about getting it.. never read any of the comics that are in it.

Collecting stories from ACTION COMICS #1-31, NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR #1, NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR 1940, and SUPERMAN #1-7.

Recommended?

The Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus is coming out next week. I'm thinking about getting it.. never read any of the comics that are in it.

Collecting stories from ACTION COMICS #1-31, NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR #1, NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR 1940, and SUPERMAN #1-7.

Recommended?

I'd recommend it based on the stories. However, DC has been hit or miss with some of their hardcovers over the last few years. Lots of gutter loss. They seem to have figured it all out, but I'd check out some reviews first.

Anyone added anything to their library lately? I picked up the Amazing Fantasy omnibus from the LCS today. Can't wait to read this thing.

144ct1k.jpg

29xgba8.jpg

jb5rap.jpg

I have that one but the variant cover.

God I love Omnibuses... :cloud9:

Recommended?

I'd recommend it based on the stories. However, DC has been hit or miss with some of their hardcovers over the last few years. Lots of gutter loss. They seem to have figured it all out, but I'd check out some reviews first.

I picked it up. Well done (no gutter loss issues, from what I recall).

My only major issue with the construction is that their cover stock seems weaker than in the past. The book literally bends when I hold it by the spine cause the cover cant support the page weight.

Im wondering (hoping really) if a Batman Golden Age will be far behind. I'm surprised I haven't seen one solicited yet. If they do it I hope its a mix of both the Detective & Batman title appearances.