• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber No-Shows: Post yours here!

192 posts in this topic

Well, I don't own this book, but I own the picture!

Oh wait, actually I swiped it off comics.org... sorry.gif

e28.jpg

Nice book! Love the Schomburg cover!

And hey, you don't have to own the book to post it here, post a scan from anywhere; this is about finally getting to see books you may never otherwise get to see!

Nice Sharp #1, I might add! I've never seen that one either. thumbsup2.gif

Drbanner,

How much was it and what was the grade? Do you remember?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well...as was the norm in the pre-CGC days and is still the rule for non-slabbed books, there was no grade on it but if I had to guess it was in the Fine range, and I believe the price was $1,500.

Anyone out there have a comic which is not pictured in the first two volumes of Ernie & Mary Gerbers Photo-Journal Guide to Comic Books? If you do, do us all a favor and post a scan here!

Here is a link to images of them found on Matt Nelson's website Classics Incorporated .

Tom

Regarding Exciting 28

I wonder if it's really so much rarer than other issues, or if the cover is just so damn cool, that no one who owns one wants to part with it.

I don't think it's any more scarce than most Nedor war covers. They're all tough to find!

I don't have this anymore and although there is an entry for it in Gerber no pics are actually in the Photo-Journal. Has anybody ever seen Sharp #1?

Sharp2.jpg

I've never seen Sharp #1 in person. Recently I was looking at old issues of The Comics Buyers Guide (from 1975) and the book was offered for sale in an ad with a photo. I think the asking price was $200. About the same as one sold for on ebay a few months back? blush.gif

You beat me to this link. There are few errors on Matt's site including the Jeanie scan and he also has the Funnies #22 as not existing but I think it was published and I have seen it on some dealer lists in the past.

BTW, there are a ton of errors in the Photo-Jounral including the following:

The All-Top #6 pictured is a reprint.

Men in Action #1 by Ajax is the cover to MIA #1 by Atlas.

Contact comics #8 is the wrong cover.(submitted by Rip)

The second series Chamber of Chills #24 is wrong.(Submitted by Shiverbones)

Jumbo #150 has the cover to #130.

The Jane Arden #2 cover is actually Pageant of Comics#2.

Young Allies #14 and #15 are transposed. (submitted by Timely)

I have all of these cover scans saved on my hard drive and can post them if requested.

There are probably more errors and I am beginning to think that Giant Comics Edition 1-3 from St. Johns don't exist.

You beat me to this link. There are few errors on Matt's site including the Jeanie scan and he also has the Funnies #22 as not existing but I think it was published and I have seen it on some dealer lists in the past.

BTW, there are a ton of errors in the Photo-Jounral including the following:

The All-Top #6 pictured is a reprint.

Men in Action #1 by Ajax is the cover to MIA #1 by Atlas.

Contact comics #8 is the wrong cover.(submitted by Rip)

The second series Chamber of Chills #24 is wrong.(Submitted by Shiverbones)

Jumbo #150 has the cover to #130.

The Jane Arden #2 cover is actually Pageant of Comics#2.

Young Allies #14 and #15 are transposed. (submitted by Timely)

I have all of these cover scans saved on my hard drive and can post them if requested.

There are probably more errors and I am beginning to think that Giant Comics Edition 1-3 from St. Johns don't exist.

Also More Fun Comics #116 is not in the journal. If you look at that page Gerber had no room for a blank space so he simply skipped over it. I've seen a few copies of it a while back. The cover features Genious Jones holding a lion by it's tail...guess he's not such a genious after all! 27_laughing.gif

West

This cover is was incorrectly pictured in the Photo-Journal... the All-Top #6 pictured is a reprint from the 1950's-here is the actual All-Top #6.

all-top6.jpg

OMG! It worked! I just bumped the thread and a brand new scan appears!

Too cool! Thanks, Metarog! yay.gif