• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber No-Shows: Post yours here!

192 posts in this topic

I think, as time goes by, we'll have to go back and have any incorrect scans deleted to clean up this thread.

But it's a start on a fine reference thread! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thank you Ernie & Mary Gerber for what you attempted! flowerred.gif

Rocket Kelly 5

1404945-rocketkelly5.jpg

I like all the covers in this series -- there is a very Flash Gordonish appeal to them. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I just want to get this clear. Are these books that were never in Gerber or Books that had the listing but the blank spot in Gerber?

Yes!

gossip.gif They were never in Gerber & were the blank spots. makepoint.gif

I guess technically anything missing is eligible. However, here is what I assume this thread is about...

1. Comics that Gerber could not find, i.e blank spaces.

2. Comics that Gerber didn't know existed-he has some comics as "may not exist" or very rare issues that have turned up since the Photo-Journal.

3. Comics that have correct entries but wrong covers- i.e. Jane Arden #2 or All-Top #6.

4. Comics that were inexplicably "skipped" in the Photo-Journal such as Diary Secrets #7 and #9 (unless these were labeled "may not exist") or the missing covers to Barney Baxter.

Gerber cut off many runs so he must have had a limit to the # of pages or pics he could fit in. However, I think an important title such as Whiz should have had the whole run in there. Just me 2 cents.

Well he did put as many in as any other long run comic. I think, looking at the SI that he thought that run was just so common, that putting a photo in there would defeat part of the purpose of the Photo-Journal. And of course, space constraints factored in as well. Boy, if knew how scarce a Whiz #155 really was....well, I think the SI would have been seriously adjusted. Of course, that isn't the only book that has an SI that is out of whack.

Agreed. My Blue Bolt is listed in the text, but there's a white space instead of a cover photo.

sign-offtopic.gif As a side note, I think Gerber did an awesome job in compiling these books. I believe these were published in 1989, pre-internet, pre-Ebay, pre-Comiclink, etc. Imagine trying to recreate what he did today. Even with all the internet resources, it would be hard to get a photo of all those books together. Then there's the scarcity index he came up with. People have their own opinions as to how accurate he was, but remember that he did it by gathering sales data over a period of years and travelling thousands of miles to view/photograph several colections.

Mr. G, we salute you! headbang.gif