• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber No-Shows: Post yours here!

192 posts in this topic

Agreed. He must have been a most amazing, focused and dedicated person to able to achieve the monumental task that he did. My comments were not really a criticism. If he had created the Photo-Journal today, I would have expected the SI to have been a truly different creature. What is amazing is the incredible utility of the guide even with its dated SI. Truly a wonderful resource.

Agreed. My Blue Bolt is listed in the text, but there's a white space instead of a cover photo.

sign-offtopic.gif As a side note, I think Gerber did an awesome job in compiling these books. I believe these were published in 1989, pre-internet, pre-Ebay, pre-Comiclink, etc. Imagine trying to recreate what he did today. Even with all the internet resources, it would be hard to get a photo of all those books together. Then there's the scarcity index he came up with. People have their own opinions as to how accurate he was, but remember that he did it by gathering sales data over a period of years and travelling thousands of miles to view/photograph several colections.

Mr. G, we salute you! headbang.gif

Have to agree with the above. It would just suck if we didn't have this kind of database to refer to.

Here is the USA version of Astonishing #3 that TImely pointed out as a Canadian edition in Gerber.

ast3.jpg

I also noticed a duplication error... on page 50 there is an entry for All Good Comics from 1944 with an SI of 6. Now look at the same cover on page 309 and the entry on page 311. Same year but this time with and SI of 5.

BTW, I agree the the Photo-Journal is an amazing resource and Gerber did a fantastic work.

Jon,

Four more books I have never seen before. 893applaud-thumb.gif In your best guesstimate, where on the Gerber scale would these books fall?

Hard to say....note the 23 is a Church copy with the mark indicating 6 copies.....not exactly alot.....I do not see the 22 around...I think the books probably are 7 to 8. I think that is true for many titles toward the end of their respective runs.

My theory is you do not really know in some cases how rare a book is until its price rises to a level that people beat the woods for them....If they still have a tough time seeing them for sale .....well you get my point. These books are not on many lists....so no one looks for them so it may create a perception that they are rare. Probably are....

Great, little known cover,,,

1406566-champ22.jpg

Hey, I always wondered what happened to the skull-faced creatures on the cover of Wonderworld #7! Nice to see the skull guy in the LRC of the cover has been keeping busy...

1272160-ww7.jpg

Here is the USA version of Astonishing #3 that TImely pointed out as a Canadian edition in Gerber.

ast3.jpg

I also noticed a duplication error... on page 50 there is an entry for All Good Comics from 1944 with an SI of 6. Now look at the same cover on page 309 and the entry on page 311. Same year but this time with and SI of 5.

BTW, I agree the the Photo-Journal is an amazing resource and Gerber did a fantastic work.

Oh damn, that is a sweet, sweet comic book. Bill Everett rules.

Love that Astonishing!

I had no idea that Gerber skipped a bunch of Whiz issues 893whatthe.gif

I always assumed he had pictures of every Superhero book he could find - likewise with the later Champ issues. With the more esoteric genre titles I was aware of skipped parts of runs.

Anybody have Little Giant Comics 1 or 4 that are missing in Gerber? Mr. Berk perhaps?

I also found another missing comic... Animal Adventures by Timor only has covers and entries for 1 and 2 but a #3 exists. I used to have a copy some time back. It is a red cover of a rabbit jumping over some barrels.

Wow, now that was quick service!!! I have never seen those before but I read somewhere around here that you had a complete Centaur collection and hoped it was true. Loved those Champ covers too. I'll have to look through the Photo-Journal some more and see if anything else is missing. Thanks!

For what it is worth, the Little Giant 4 is the Larson copy. jon

Sure, go ahead and rub it in JB...(we're not worthy, we're not worthy!)

STEVE Got Larson? ("I'm proud to have 1/3 as many Larsons as Jon Berk" he proclaimed)

For what it is worth, the Little Giant 4 is the Larson copy. jon

Sure, go ahead and rub it in JB...(we're not worthy, we're not worthy!)

STEVE Got Larson? ("I'm proud to have 1/3 as many Larsons as Jon Berk" he proclaimed)

But Steve, you have nothing but great quality......