• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Opportunity (Sketch/Sig Events) Standards?

232 posts in this topic

Why would we get rid of sketch opps? Why don't we ask all the boardies who have gotten sketches from opps over the last few years if they would like to do away with them

Got love for you JJ but I disagree. I completed over 80 sketches for boardies last year, this isn't counting all the sketches coming in for 2013...and I'm just one person :)

I do however have an idea I will be moving forward with soon, so sketch opps will be limited to the people that like, appreciate and invest in them. Boardies who don't like them won't even have them in their sightline. 100% invisibility is on the way :)

Chris Stevens, Dexter Soy, Dell'otto, etc. Don't do shows, and if they did they wouldn't put the same quality into the work at a con

Sorry, was never meant as an attack, but really would shore up the program as a whole. Doesn't mean people couldn't somehow set up ways of picking up books at a show or something but no product equals op is over.

Idea!

Lets get rid of sketch ops!

Get them at a show...

If you think really hard, it makes sense...

JJ

I've only been a part of one sketch op and I would have never been able to get my Jae Lee sketch without it happening. Here's to hoping they don't all go away :wishluck: and thanks to chainnball for putting it together.

DSCN2312_zps67e263c2.jpg

Why would we get rid of sketch opps? Why don't we ask all the boardies who have gotten sketches from opps over the last few years if they would like to do away with them

Got love for you JJ but I disagree. I completed over 80 sketches for boardies last year, this isn't counting all the sketches coming in for 2013...and I'm just one person :)

I do however have an idea I will be moving forward with soon, so sketch opps will be limited to the people that like, appreciate and invest in them. Boardies who don't like them won't even have them in their sightline. 100% invisibility is on the way :)

Chris Stevens, Dexter Soy, Dell'otto, etc. Don't do shows, and if they did they wouldn't put the same quality into the work at a con

Sorry, was never meant as an attack, but really would shore up the program as a whole. Doesn't mean people couldn't somehow set up ways of picking up books at a show or something but no product equals op is over.

No offense taken, everyone has a right to their opinion

But my opinion stands, let's ask the people involved in sketch opps if they want them to cease

But I'm not clear, how have opps deducted from the program? If anything sketches have become more popular over the years=more subs=more revenue

Still doing sketch opps folks, sticks and stones... :):foryou:

And I'm still breathing, doesn't mean I will be 3 months from now, nor does it mean ops will be solicited on the boards. Simply a discussion and one that some people seem to think makes sense.

It also doesn't mean that ops can't be conducted in someway, but why the hassle of paying people up front, waiting sometimes over a year or more, when the books could be picked up at a show and if they are not done, op over. No money lost, no facilitator hate.

Quit being one sided

I look at all sides. There are some serious negatives to sketch ops along with the many positives. But what is really amazing is that some of the people with the best collections don't need sketch opps to gather their amazing sketches.

No offense taken, everyone has a right to their opinion

But my opinion stands, let's ask the people involved in sketch opps if they want them to cease

But I'm not clear, how have opps deducted from the program? If anything sketches have become more popular over the years=more subs=more revenue

At the very least they are a large source of negative press.

Though I do not participate in sketch covers I believe its a great opportunity the guys on the boards run.

It is a great way to get sketches done from artist that do not normally go to shows or for people who can't make it to them.

It has been a great avenue to check out new artists and for the artist to promote their work.

I think the guys who run these ops are awesome individuals who are unappreciated for their contributions to the community. They do it for the love of the game.

With that being said, one should know the risks involved with joining an opp.

I know, no one asked me.

And we also find a way to get rid of exclusives...

No doubt...

JJ I love you like a brother.. Meant no har . Just trying to look at both sides

And I didn't take it that way lol

But I think the problematic issues that all of the sketch facilitators take is difficult to see...

Maybe more responsibility needs to be placed on the artists themselves...

Still doing sketch opps folks, sticks and stones... :):foryou:

And I'm still breathing, doesn't mean I will be 3 months from now, nor does it mean ops will be solicited on the boards. Simply a discussion and one that some people seem to think makes sense.

It also doesn't mean that ops can't be conducted in someway, but why the hassle of paying people up front, waiting sometimes over a year or more, when the books could be picked up at a show and if they are not done, op over. No money lost, no facilitator hate.

I am participtating in my first sketch op. No upfront payment has been required. So far, I am very pleased with how it is proceeding.

I am long-time collector but I am relatively new to these boards and as such don't have all the background to the discussion but as a collector, I have always wanted a personalized sketch, not something bought off the eBay or whatever. Something I have had a small part in 'creating'.

I live in a town that does not have a major LCS (just a small one) and the only real comic con I can go to is Toronto Fan Expo, which CGC does not attend and Wizard World Toronto is unknown yet. Most artists have limited spots so when I do get the chance to go, which is very rarely either a) I am too late or b) some artists don't do con sketches or c) there is no CGC service available.

Without these facilitators, how could a person such as myself get a CGC sketch otherwise?

In all this, I'm sure it's been said before, but I'd like to say it myself:

A HUGE thank you to ALL facilitators of sketch opps - regardless of the ocassional nitpicking that might go on, I am very thankful people do sketch opps on the board. I live in the middle of nowhere in Montana, and going to any show requires a sizeable financial committment - so having Boardies offer sketch opps is an amazing opportunity for me to get OA that I would not be able to get otherwise.

So, thank you to those facilitators who make this stuff happen! :applause:

once again, no offense to anyone on the boards

Jon we were roomies for CGC at one point. You have assisted me many times and I consider you a friend

However when you post a comment to end something I have worked hard for and sacrificed, I will respond. I do sketch opps and do my best to satisfy

I thought this wasn't about me.

Now we are cooking with gas!

So far...

No more board sketch ops

No more exclusives

What else can we do to button up the program?

Make you ss director

I think there are plenty of people here who still appreciate a board op, and use this forum as their lone chance to get a sketch when they live far away, or have a life that does not allow them to go to a con (or cons).

My goal in starting this thread was to see if there were some standard approaches that facilitators could conform to in their offerings in an effort to increase the % of happy customers.

CGC benefits from the revenue of the submitted books for grading/encapsulating, so I would imagine they would be in favor of an increase in the success level of the board ops (or ops in general).

More happy customers leads to more repeat customers. Someone having a bad experience (i.e. the classic "spend a year separated from my money, only to finally get my book/order after much poking/prodding/badgering") may not participate in the next board op, and that's $$ out of CGC's pocket.

And I like singfingh's list. If every facilitator doing a board op followed that guideline and set the expectation on those subject I think

a) customers would know what they were getting into (and could then decide whether to participate).

b) facilitators would have their Op guidelines to fall back on should a buyer suggest changing the conditions of the sale.

c) buyer would have something to fall back on if s/he feels the facilitator is not meeting the stated expectation.