• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Opportunity (Sketch/Sig Events) Standards?

232 posts in this topic

Why would we get rid of sketch opps? Why don't we ask all the boardies who have gotten sketches from opps over the last few years if they would like to do away with them

Got love for you JJ but I disagree. I completed over 80 sketches for boardies last year, this isn't counting all the sketches coming in for 2013...and I'm just one person :)

I do however have an idea I will be moving forward with soon, so sketch opps will be limited to the people that like, appreciate and invest in them. Boardies who don't like them won't even have them in their sightline. 100% invisibility is on the way :)

Chris Stevens, Dexter Soy, Dell'otto, etc. Don't do shows, and if they did they wouldn't put the same quality into the work at a con

Sorry, was never meant as an attack, but really would shore up the program as a whole. Doesn't mean people couldn't somehow set up ways of picking up books at a show or something but no product equals op is over.

No offense taken, everyone has a right to their opinion

But my opinion stands, let's ask the people involved in sketch opps if they want them to cease

But I'm not clear, how have opps deducted from the program? If anything sketches have become more popular over the years=more subs=more revenue

When guys like you set these things up there's very little to complain about. Too bad it's not always that way.

I do however have an idea I will be moving forward with soon, so sketch opps will be limited to the people that like, appreciate and invest in them.

What does this mean?

once again, no offense to anyone on the boards

Jon we were roomies for CGC at one point. You have assisted me many times and I consider you a friend

However when you post a comment to end something I have worked hard for and sacrificed, I will respond. I do sketch opps and do my best to satisfy

I only make the comment because I too have sacrificed for longer then most. It is just a point of discussion. How can it become better? Sometimes you have to start at the end and work your way back. This is what I was implying with comment. Some great discussion and MJ, this was never an attack or aimed at you (or Adonis for those wondering). We will always be homies...

JJ

I had no idea the anti-sketch movement was so popular

If approved I'll definitely do a lot more private mailaways

There are people who like and dislike a number of different things (and people). I think that if you like something, and there's a market for it, and there's no rules against it, keep on keeping on with what you like.

However I think this thread is (or should be) to discuss potential guidelines or standards to ensure that those people who do participate (facilitate or patronize or artists) have the best experience possible. In my opinion, that will occur through clarity, communication, and setting appropriate expectations, so artists, facilitators, and potential patrons can make responsible, informed decisions.

As we've seen, many people have different expectations of what they consider reasonable, whether they be paypal fees, wait times, refund policies, mediums, payment options, communication methods, etc. And its fine to have preferences and expectations. If they are made clear up front before agreements are made (or not made), EVERYONE will have better experiences I think. This works in real life, why not for CGC Sketch Opps?

Although I do think CGC would be served by responding to complaints better than they appear to...

There are people who like and dislike a number of different things (and people). I think that if you like something, and there's a market for it, and there's no rules against it, keep on keeping on with what you like.

However I think this thread is (or should be) to discuss potential guidelines or standards to ensure that those people who do participate (facilitate or patronize or artists) have the best experience possible. In my opinion, that will occur through clarity, communication, and setting appropriate expectations, so artists, facilitators, and potential patrons can make responsible, informed decisions.

As we've seen, many people have different expectations of what they consider reasonable, whether they be paypal fees, wait times, refund policies, mediums, payment options, communication methods, etc. And its fine to have preferences and expectations. If they are made clear up front before agreements are made (or not made), EVERYONE will have better experiences I think. This works in real life, why not for CGC Sketch Opps?

Although I do think CGC would be served by responding to complaints better than they appear to...

Good post, but I am not sure what CGC has to do with it.

maybe all sketch ops should just be private (by invite only)

That's a great way to never get new customers.

didnt know sketch opps were used to get new customers, I thought they were used to get sketches

Good post, but I am not sure what CGC has to do with it.

When/If someone doesn't live up to the 'standards' (whatever they are) of a facilitator (or maybe even artist), it would be nice if there was some mechanism for CGC to warn/chastise/address/mediate the person or issue at hand. I've heard/read that people have tried and the complaints have more often than not fallen on deaf ears. Or perhaps they were just handled internally without response to the complainant(s).

I know the probation list here can do that to some extent, but if a person/entity seriously did not meet expectations, it would be nice to know something can be done.

And we also find a way to get rid of exclusives...

No doubt...

JJ I love you like a brother.. Meant no har . Just trying to look at both sides

And I didn't take it that way lol

But I think the problematic issues that all of the sketch facilitators take is difficult to see...

Maybe more responsibility needs to be placed on the artists themselves...

I agree with this statement, as I was talking to another opps facilitator about all the problems or hoops one has to go through to bring in an artist to do an opps. Many have an agent or agents, and also some not all need to checked upon periodically to make sure they understand that the opps has a time limit set by CGC. Some are very professional, while others seem to have excuses. I don't want to off artists as they have others paying customers work in hand and don't want to jeopardize the process in anyway and have them say F-U and you no longer hear from them. So there is a fine line when dealing with artists, I don't want to push to much but some pushing is needed. I try my best to accommodate everyone and keep everyone updated.

maybe all sketch ops should just be private (by invite only)

That's a great way to never get new customers.

didnt know sketch opps were used to get new customers, I thought they were used to get sketches

Customers = All people interested in a commodity; or X

Sketches = The commodity; or Y

When X is mimized so too will Y be minimized. Limiting the participation of new people ensures that the available customer base will continously deplete until all sketch opps eventually disappear into the ether. Sketches are not Infinity Gems. There are not a set number of them everyone is scrambling to obtain. They are theoretically limitless and should be available to serve the demand as it exists.

I'll add my 2c since we are talking about standards.

If you are facilitating at a show and soliciting sigs sketches, please get those done before you go off and get your own stuff done. This will prevent the "Oh, sorry, didn't get it done...." and then you post XXX amount of sigs and sketches you did get done for yourself or resale at the same show. I know people have gotten butt hurt about this in the past.

Also, since I'm sure a lot of SS regulars are going to be reading this thread....

If CGC hires you to work a show - pays your airfare, hotel, compensation - don't take that as a free pass to run around and get your own stuff done or setup future sketch ops while paying customers are waiting. I know everyone is trying to make a little extra coin, but at this point I've given up on "the paid for show" employees and stick to a regular CGC employee or someone I know is a professional and knows what they are there for.

I shouldn't have to wait around while you're setting something up, picking something up, or staring at toys and wandering off. Be a professional and do the job you've been hired to do at the show.

If you are facilitating at a show and soliciting sigs sketches, please get those done before you go off and get your own stuff done. This will prevent the "Oh, sorry, didn't get it done...." and then you post XXX amount of sigs and sketches you did get done for yourself or resale at the same show. I know people have gotten butt hurt about this in the past.

Also, since I'm sure a lot of SS regulars are going to be reading this thread....

If CGC hires you to work a show - pays your airfare, hotel, compensation - don't take that as a free pass to run around and get your own stuff done or setup future sketch ops while paying customers are waiting. I know everyone is trying to make a little extra coin, but at this point I've given up on "the paid for show" employees and stick to a regular CGC employee or someone I know is a professional and knows what they are there for.

I shouldn't have to wait around while you're setting something up, picking something up, or staring at toys and wandering off. Be a professional and do the job you've been hired to do at the show.

Amen Brother!!

The program works great when everyone tries to help each other out. Everyone gets what they want. Watching some guys taking care of their own stuff when their supposed to be helping get books signed can your blood boil. I've seen it more than once.

Dre is spot on here.

1 - If working for CGC, work for CGC

2 - Get other peoples books done before your own. Don't show off a Ramos and then say, sorry that one is mine his line was full.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Dre is spot on here.

1 - If working for CGC, work for CGC

2 - Get other peoples books done before your own. Don't show off a Ramos and then say, sorry that one is mine his line was full.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Yikes, since I've only had one chance to work with a facilitator in the past this is a scary thought!

One would hope that a facilitator who prioritized his/her own request over his/her customers would not get a lot of repeat business.

That said its a hard rule to enforce since there can be a myriad of reasons why one thing got done vs another (though most reasons aren't valid).

Wonder if there should be a facilitator feedback thread like in the marketplace... no dear god I just imagined the chaos that would ensue... never mind

You brought up a good point Dre

But once again(not directed at you, but the thread in general) I am unclear

Here's the thing about innuendos; you never know who the other person is talking about directly. I worked for CGC last summer; I ran around like a madman(and loved every minute of it) at ALL the conventions last year. If you are speaking about someone inparticular, its best you address the person. Because these are forums, people may get confused about who you are referring to, since there were more than one witness at any given show (thumbs u

regarding opps, if there is anything I can do to improve please let me know.

Re guidelines, if I have had a book for more than 30 days then per the probation rules I qualify to be on the list. Re guidelines w/the times of opps, etc I humbly suggest people get the inner workings of opps clear first. If I paid the artists 50% as many people suggested, many of my opps would never have happened. the artists are reliable,

If you trust the facilitator to provide the service then let him provide the service. In 4 years of opps I refunded one person(Branget), as he wasn't satisfied with the product. Learned a lot from our "situation", saw him in person, shook hands and apologized to him and left it at that

End of discussion, couldn't be said better

once again, no offense to anyone on the boards

Jon we were roomies for CGC at one point. You have assisted me many times and I consider you a friend

However when you post a comment to end something I have worked hard for and sacrificed, I will respond. I do sketch opps and do my best to satisfy

I only make the comment because I too have sacrificed for longer then most. It is just a point of discussion. How can it become better? Sometimes you have to start at the end and work your way back. This is what I was implying with comment. Some great discussion and MJ, this was never an attack or aimed at you (or Adonis for those wondering). We will always be homies...

JJ

Thank you JJ, you will always be my Yoda :)

So how much longer before CGC just makes all opps an in-house action? Everything has to flow through FL be distributed to the artist/writer/etc for whatever you are having done and they cut themselves in for an ever increasing fee?