• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb CLink Auction

342 posts in this topic

I like the Action 23 but it's gone higher than I want to pay.

A friend of mine won that book. If it is any consolation to you, he has wanted a copy of that for a very long time. We both remarked how the piece that was missing looked almost like a water tower with the angle that it was torn out at first glance.

I am pursuing one book...and one book only. Here I am trying to figure out which books I can stand to part with in order to use towards a down payment on a new home, and a particular book pops up that I have been looking for in high grade for years. I have a select few books that I want to never part with, and the copy I am going after fits that description. I don't want to say what it is due to punishment bids, ect....but I will say it is the highest graded of a early Silver Age book....and it is beautiful. If I get it, I will post it in this thread.

I wish you luck in getting it man. (thumbs u

Thanks. :) It was hard, but I had to make it happen. My reasoning is in a post in the CLink thread in Comics General.

TheSearchers_zpsbf19881c.jpg

I am pursuing one book...and one book only. Here I am trying to figure out which books I can stand to part with in order to use towards a down payment on a new home, and a particular book pops up that I have been looking for in high grade for years. I have a select few books that I want to never part with, and the copy I am going after fits that description. I don't want to say what it is due to punishment bids, ect....but I will say it is the highest graded of a early Silver Age book....and it is beautiful. If I get it, I will post it in this thread.

Thanks. :) It was hard, but I had to make it happen. My reasoning is in a post in the CLink thread in Comics General.

Great actor & great movie! Congratulations! :applause:

Great actor & great movie! Congratulations! :applause:

+1 Congrats. This is a really cool book.

You can't do away with grade intervals. As values rise you will see more, not less intervals.

I think CGCs inconsistency has a bigger impact than pressing but hey, that's just me.

I wouldn't say a larger impact but I would say it has a huge impact. Definitely.

And that's going to inhibit any move to more grading intervals (adding 9.3, 9.5, etc at the top end), no?

We all know what would happen if the same high grade vintage book were to be cracked and re-submitted to CGC 20 times in a blind test.

A move to higher-precision grading scale would magnify the inconsistency very dramatically, and thus undermine CGC's credibility. There's no point in moving to a more precise scale until the current scale can be applied with greater precision -- and that may simply be impossible with human eyes and methods. I'd suspect CGC realizes that.

I think we are more likely to see increased reliance on provenance information and a centralized public database for scans (done on the same equipment by the same people) and descriptions -- both services which CGC (or perhaps someone else) could offer on an opt-in basis, and both of which would give insight into what REALLY matters -- which book is nicer than the other.

That was my father's favorite movie. Great looking copy. Congrats.

You can't do away with grade intervals. As values rise you will see more, not less intervals.

I think CGCs inconsistency has a bigger impact than pressing but hey, that's just me.

I wouldn't say a larger impact but I would say it has a huge impact. Definitely.

And that's going to inhibit any move to more grading intervals (adding 9.3, 9.5, etc at the top end), no?

We all know what would happen if the same high grade vintage book were to be cracked and re-submitted to CGC 20 times in a blind test.

A move to higher-precision grading scale would magnify the inconsistency very dramatically, and thus undermine CGC's credibility. There's no point in moving to a more precise scale until the current scale can be applied with greater precision -- and that may simply be impossible with human eyes and methods. I'd suspect CGC realizes that.

I think we are more likely to see increased reliance on provenance information and a centralized public database for scans (done on the same equipment by the same people) and descriptions -- both services which CGC (or perhaps someone else) could offer on an opt-in basis, and both of which would give insight into what REALLY matters -- which book is nicer than the other.

A new competitor would help CGC with their consistency. Personally, I think it's just a matter of time.

As far as a higher precision grading scale, as dollar values increase that will apply more pressure for a finer grading scale. That pressure is already here for the resto ratings - it's just a matter of time for the grading scale in my opinion.

It's already here in coins.

From what I read on this forum about attending a coin convention, the only thing you hear is the sound of coins being cracked out of their holders to be resubmitted for the next grade ie. 68 to 69.

Nothing to do with nothing, but I just noticed comiclink is actively preventing ALL search engines from crawling the site. How odd.

Well, at least they are doing something to update their software.

"That'll be the day." One of the greatest lines in movie history.

Nothing to do with nothing, but I just noticed comiclink is actively preventing ALL search engines from crawling the site. How odd.

Preventing people from scraping data?

"That'll be the day." One of the greatest lines in movie history.

There are few better feelings than finding the book you've been hunting for so long. Congrats!