• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

So I finished up the first arc(?) the other night and without spoiling anything, it ends with a lot more to explore.

Question: How far into the process does a publisher say/ask for a mini to become ongoing in order to give the creator(s) time to shift storylines?

I'm guessing if 5G stayed a mini this loose end would have been tied up by the end, or at least tied a little tighter.

manetteska--

This is exactly how I would have ended the mini to setup for more minis down the line. It was never the plan to have a done-in-one story. This arc was really about Fabian getting control over his powers, finding out what his "Haunting" was and setting up the main conflict of him trying to find his sister's soul...which is the crux of the entire series.

Image does not ask for any story details--we have no editors and no one checking/asking about content. Once your book is approved, you can do what you want--if we wanted to stop doing the book after issue 2, we could've. There is really no approval process to move to ongoing--we just said we want to keep doing our book.

manetteska--

This is exactly how I would have ended the mini to setup for more minis down the line. It was never the plan to have a done-in-one story. This arc was really about Fabian getting control over his powers, finding out what his "Haunting" was and setting up the main conflict of him trying to find his sister's soul...which is the crux of the entire series.

Image does not ask for any story details--we have no editors and no one checking/asking about content. Once your book is approved, you can do what you want--if we wanted to stop doing the book after issue 2, we could've. There is really no approval process to move to ongoing--we just said we want to keep doing our book.

Frank -

Thanks for the quick - and detailed - reply. Learn something new every day. I didn't know 5G was always meant to be a collection of minis; I didn't do my homework on that front and assumed the Five of Five meant it was the end.

So another question: What is the difference - at least for 5G - between doing a collection of minis versus an ongoing with different arcs? Is it mainly adhering to a more defined release schedule and how that fit in with your other work?

Yeah, it's more about reducing downtime between arcs. This way we're much more visible in stores with a more consistent schedule. Chris and I wanted to keep going, so we figured it'd be better to just have the book on shelves ASAP rather than having big downtime between stories.

Always happy to answer questions!

Those 9.9's are AMAZING! Congrats to the owner. I'd love to see those start at 99c and see where they end up (just for fun).

Also congrats to ZaCrew on that SS pick up. You're right...when it's 5 books to a set the price on those isn't half bad.

Also, thanks for all the answered questions Frank. I love getting the inside scoop on this story and how it was created. I just gave a coworker a copy of FG 1 and I'm dying to hear what he thinks.

Yep, he was next to me in line and walked back to the CGC booth with the same witness. I got 4 9.8s and a 9.6 lol

:( That's a bummer about the 9.6. Even bigger bummer that you were only a person away from getting the 9.9's all for yourself. Maybe get the 9.6 pressed and see what happens.