• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

If you're waiting for CGC to loosen up before you submit you're playing a fools game. It's like timing the stock market-just not practical. You submit today, your books are graded at some point over the next six months and who knows where they'll be in the loose/tight cycle.

Maybe if all you big time dealers complain to them now, maybe they will ease up? Please everyone call and complain.

I'm a dealer. I sell CGC books. I'm not going to complain.

Why?

Because they have been terribly lax for a long time now and although I have zero evidence that they are tightening up, I truly hope that they are. :wishluck:

This shouldn't be about short-term profit, but long-term stability. We need books to be graded consistantly accurately...and they haven't been for some time, so I welcome any attempt to right the ship.

They aren't that tight.

Maybe if all you big time dealers complain to them now, maybe they will ease up? Please everyone call and complain.

Why?

Because they have been terribly lax for a long time now and although I have zero evidence that they are tightening up, I truly hope that they are. :wishluck:

This shouldn't be about short-term profit, but long-term stability. We need books to be graded consistantly accurately...and they haven't been for some time, so I welcome any attempt to right the ship.

They aren't that tight.

Did you purchase some new 'turds-in-a-slab'??

If you're waiting for CGC to loosen up before you submit you're playing a fools game. It's like timing the stock market-just not practical. You submit today, your books are graded at some point over the next six months and who knows where they'll be in the loose/tight cycle.

Ante up and Fast Track.

Or send expensive stuff that falls into the quicker, on time tiers.

They needed to get tighter as I've seen so many examples of fugly NM gift grades over the last year. In a recent sales thread alone I saw 3 or 4 examples of books that had no business obtaining NM grades. Crunched corners, multiple spine ticks, stuff you would rarely see in years had all of sudden become common place.

+1 - quit whining because the undeserved gravy train is over. books from 2010 and 2011 don't deserve the inflated grades they got. they aren't tighter now, they're more accurate.

I agree with this comment. The grades from that era, after Haspel left, were way too soft. The current tight grading is similar to when Haspel was in charge. As a collector,

I say tight grading is good for this hobby.

Why?

It's not the tightness, it's the consistency that is disturbing.

Show me the goal posts. That's all anyone needs.

After that, you can paint them any colour you want.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

I disagree - look at the bottom two corners, especially the right one, and the big dent/scrape in the middle above the dinosaur. 9.2 might be a gift grade - many around here would call it 9.0.

Add the scratch on the G in Green Lantern in the lower left text box, and looks like a textbook 9.2 to me - minor flaws that keep it just out of 9.4. I hesitate to call an undergrade based on just a scan of the covers through plastic, and a smallish scan at that. Calling an overgrade is generally easier.

Agreed, looks accurately graded.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

I disagree - look at the bottom two corners, especially the right one, and the big dent/scrape in the middle above the dinosaur. 9.2 might be a gift grade - many around here would call it 9.0.

Given what I've seen in a slab the last couple of years, I'd say that's pretty tight to my tired eyes. As others have mentioned the consistency problem (perhaps the gaps are between graders) has to be resolved...but this is a step in the right direction.

Thanks CGC for getting your together. Now maybe I'll even be interested in buying books.

I submitted 12 books and I graded them myself before:

3 came back higher than expected

4 exactly as predicted

5 lower than expected

Of those that came back lower, 1 was completely my fault. I missed a piece missing from the back of my JIM 112 doh!

The others were a bit surprising but not way off.

I think CGC did a good job grading my books this time around.

I thought the complaining would be about TATs.

4 exactly as predicted

5 lower than expected

Of those that came back lower, 1 was completely my fault. I missed a piece missing from the back of my JIM 112 doh!

Nobody complains about a nice pair of TATs. ^^

Why?

+1

Why?

+1

Or...if CGC were grading it two years ago it'd be +1.8.

If they were grading it last week it'd be a PLOD .5

4 exactly as predicted

5 lower than expected

I never have to wait long until a post of yours has me rolling. :roflmao:

4 exactly as predicted

5 lower than expected

I never have to wait long until a post of yours has me rolling. :roflmao:

We all have to earn our keep around here. (thumbs u

Yeah......, but if you can see that much damage through the two wells, think about what you'd discover if you actually cracked it out :sick:

I'm a novice at grading but even I can see the defects in some 9.8's and supposed 9.9's through the well with 1/4" bends or 3+ spine ticks up to 1/8". When I started learning the art earlier last year I graded piously based on strict ebay guide then picked up a copy of OS guide and saw it to be a bit more relaxed but also explanatory and merged the two. I quickly ended up with boxes of what I considered VF- bronze/modern comics which I felt would never be worth submitting. Then I bought my first 9.4 White slab and couldn't believe what I was seeing. It had a 1/2" bend at the corner, stress lines visible, and 3-4 spine creases. I found an 8.0 VF slab that had a 1/8" tear on the back cover. :o

I didn't think that was allowed in anything higher than a 5.5! So I suddenly realized I was too harsh on many books and began lowering my grading standards to examples of slabs I bought. I really feel bad now about the feedback I left raw sellers on ebay advertising NM that looked VF- to me at the time. :sorry:

So I was about to start digging through my box again to re-evaluate those bronze/moderns but now it seems that CGC is bringing it's grading standards back up to a level where I was at before. I'm adjusting my standards accordingly.

IMO, I hope they stick with the high grade standards especially for moderns. The comics today are tougher than they used to be so grading a book that is less than 1 month old really has to be tough. But there's nothing that can be done about Diamond's packing which is single-handedly working against the possibility of getting high grade moderns. Maybe they do that on purpose to ensure the rarity of 9.9's and 10's. :P

Actually, now that I think of it, their tight grading standards is probably a function of the shear volume of modern submissions everyone is sending in trying to get that 9.8-10 and make a mint on resale for the hot new titles. If they kept the lax standard, you'd have 300 10's, 1000 9.9's, 4000 9.8's and 3000 9.6's for a 10,000+ print run comic and full year turnarounds. the grade rarity will lose its meaning and it's probably impacting the turn around times/training. They'll probably get looser once submission rates drop off and it begins to hurt their bottom line. Think about it, they make a bunch on the return fees for pre-screens and don't have to use any slab materials, processing, and less man hours. It's probably easier for them to just look at the spine and if they see ANY spine ticks (what I used to do) it would immediately get knocked down to a 9.4/9.6 saving time on doing any type of FC/BC interior page analysis especially if the pre-screen limit was for 9.8's or above.

I wish there was a way to track loose grade periods over the last decade and try to correlate if it had more to do with the personnel training or the volume to personnel ratio.

For the record I like it TIGHT!!!

So what I've learned from reading this thread

-If you have a book in hand, buy the book not the label.

-If you by a slab from scans and don't agree with said label, sell it online with the same scans used to bait you.

-Grading tightly should be synonymous with grading consistency

-Buyers want tight grading.

-Sellers want loose grading

Maybe I learned nothing at all.

So what I've learned from reading this thread

-If you have a book in hand, buy the book not the label.

-If you by a slab from scans and don't agree with said label, sell it online with the same scans used to bait you.

-Grading tightly should be synonymous with grading consistency

-Buyers want tight grading.

-Sellers want loose grading

Maybe I learned nothing at all.

Sums it up :golfclap: