• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

The music is awesome, and perfect for the trailers.

I don't get all the hate.

Peace,

Chip

It feels too jokey to me. Comedic relief is fine but they preface the movie as saving the universe - which is epic stuff. I guess we should just haw-haw because there is a talking raccoon?

It didn't fit the 2nd trailer at all. It felt out of place and choppy in it. It felt like what Lucas did to the end of ROTJ. You can say what you want about the Ewok song at the original end but at least the end had a nice flow with Luke burning the Vader costume...then Lucas just chopped it to pieces with stupid firework celebrations.

The best thing I have ever seen with Spirit in the Sky was when someone synched it up to the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark is opened it worked amazingly. This song at least has a hard edge to it.

So the people that hate the songs:

hm please give us your suggestions of songs that will better the trailer

"Fuel" - Metallica :headbang:
Love that song but you'd alienate millions of people that don't like heavy metal. The goal is to find songs that will appeal to a wide audience.... which they've done. Your selection would guarantee a flop at the box office. I'm glad you don't have anything to do with the decision making for this movie.
You'd also alienate those who love heavy metal but believe that album was the final blow that killed heavy metal and it never recovered. :baiting:

lol That's true, too.

Maybe they should use "Enter Sandman". That song always gets my adrenaline pumping. We could all get nuts in the theater and start fistfighting when the song is played.

The Chordette's Mr. Sandman is a better option.

"Fuel" - Metallica :headbang:
Love that song but you'd alienate millions of people that don't like heavy metal. The goal is to find songs that will appeal to a wide audience.... which they've done. Your selection would guarantee a flop at the box office. I'm glad you don't have anything to do with the decision making for this movie.
You'd also alienate those who love heavy metal but believe that album was the final blow that killed heavy metal and it never recovered. :baiting:

lol That's true, too.

Maybe they should use "Enter Sandman". That song always gets my adrenaline pumping. We could all get nuts in the theater and start fistfighting when the song is played.

The Chordette's Mr. Sandman is a better option.

That's actually used in the movie for one short scene.

So what you are saying is if I dislike the tunes in the trailer I have to suggest better tunes? Is that how it works?

No, I'm not a big fan of these songs either.. But they work for the trailer for me better than the newest one direction or Katy Perry song.

I also think that that mix tape is part of the movie, not just a random song chosen to get attention.

And there is part of the worry for me for this movie - Star Lord makes crappy jokes and likes crappy music! That is a not good sign.

Trailers don't need to have any music in them.

That's Crazy talk!

The songs are there to drive people who have a childhood/adolescent/etc. connection to the song to WANT to see the movie. Both songs came out before MTV and probably don't trigger anything other than positive personal memories of 30-40 years ago, an often idyllic time in peoples lives. Now, however, there are distinct visuals, that will remind everyone who hears them, that a new GOTG movie is coming. And even though you might not like the songs, I guarantee they will get significantly more airtime than they have in the last 40 years.

This reminds me of the trailer for Sucker Punch. I had no desire to see that movie whatsoever, until they used "When the Levee Breaks" in the trailer which was NOT in the film.

So what you are saying is if I dislike the tunes in the trailer I have to suggest better tunes? Is that how it works?

No, I'm not a big fan of these songs either.. But they work for the trailer for me better than the newest one direction or Katy Perry song.

I also think that that mix tape is part of the movie, not just a random song chosen to get attention.

And there is part of the worry for me for this movie - Star Lord makes crappy jokes and likes crappy music! That is a not good sign.

Trailers don't need to have any music in them.

That's Crazy talk!

The songs are there to drive people who have a childhood/adolescent/etc. connection to the song to WANT to see the movie. Both songs came out before MTV and probably don't trigger anything other than positive personal memories of 30-40 years ago, an often idyllic time in peoples lives. Now, however, there are distinct visuals, that will remind everyone who hears them, that a new GOTG movie is coming. And even though you might not like the songs, I guarantee they will get significantly more airtime than they have in the last 40 years.

This reminds me of the trailer for Sucker Punch. I had no desire to see that movie whatsoever, until they used "When the Levee Breaks" in the trailer which was NOT in the film.

Agreed. Trailers are used for marketing and music is one of the greatest marketing tools in their arsenal.

Saw a version of the trailer I hadn't seen before at Godzilla last night.

Comedian Peter Serafinowicz makes me laugh with his timing and expression when he looks at them all and says, "what a bunch of a-holes" :)

I was preparing a presentation yesterday that I had to give for a few hours. So what song did I catch myself humming while I was deep in thought about the content at hand?

They got me!

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

I have to say I have chuckle several times when I watch that second trailer. This looks like a fun movie for the dog days of August.

It could do very well, too, given that there is little competition on the big screen in August ... TMNT comes out the next week as does 'Lucy' ... two weeks later The Expendables 3 comes out, but that demographic skews only a bit older than GOTG is shooting for ... Then the next Sin City three weeks later, again not the same type of audience.

Am looking forward this!

I had no idea that was an iggy pop song. Where else has that song been used? I know I have heard it somewhere.

As for the comedy stuff - I think comedy is a necessary (but not sufficient) component of any "superhero"-type movie. BUT, it doesn't work if it isn't funny. And, IMHO, the humor in these trailers just isn't funny. Djimon Hounsou's grossly exaggerated shrugging/mugging when "starlord" tells them his name, and the "what a bunch of a-holes" lines just fall flat, for me. But, I haven't actually seen these things in the context of the film. Maybe it will work in the movie.

As far as retro tunes go, "sky pilot" would be a good one, and, of course "rocky racoon" (thought that would probably cost several million to license.)

RUMOR: Josh Brolin to Play Thanos in "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Since his appearance in the post-credits scene of Marvel Studios' "The Avengers," fans have been wondering when they might see Thanos again in the studio's Cinematic Universe. While reports certainly indicate he'll show up in "Guardians of the Galaxy," there was no name to put with the face. However, an unconfirmed report from Latino Review states that Marvel has cast Josh Brolin in the role of the Mad Titan.

It is widely believed that Thanos is the mystery villain on a rocket-powered throne referred to in Businessweek's profile on studio head Kevin Feige. The character was played in his split-second appearance at the end of "The Avengers" by Damion Poitier, but if the rumor is true, it looks like Marvel decided to bring someone else into the role. Brolin has had a good amount of experience with genre film, playing the lead role in Spike Lee's "Oldboy," a young Tommy Lee Jones in "Men in Black 3" and Dwight in the upcoming "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For."