• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegaCon March 21-23, 2014

312 posts in this topic

What I didn't like about the show was that there was all genres and types of dealers scattered all over the room. Comic dealers comingled with toy dealers and artists. I think it's ridiculous and disadvantageous to sellers to not have like dealers with like dealers.

If I was setting up I'd be upset.

Yep! That we can both agree on. It'd make life soooo much easier if comic dealers were reserved to a separate aisle or two

What I didn't like about the show was that there was all genres and types of dealers scattered all over the room. Comic dealers comingled with toy dealers and artists. I think it's ridiculous and disadvantageous to sellers to not have like dealers with like dealers.

This is a really good point. It seemed like comic dealers were at either ends of the room with a few sprinkled in the middle.

We hit Defcon 4 from about 12:30 - 2:30 today. Aisles were impassable. Men's bathroom line 40 deep. Sales were solid early, ground to a halt during the onslaught and picked back up again this afternoon. The only crowd I've seen that compares was Reed's 2nd year in NY and San Diego. For those few hours, not an enjoyable experience.

I think I actually had a small panic attack today. I left around 2:00 because I could not take it anymore. At one point I was actually carried away with the flow of bodies the foot traffic was that dense.

I apologize to everyone looking for me this afternoon, but I freaked out a little.

I think I actually had a small panic attack today. I left around 2:00 because I could not take it anymore. At one point I was actually carried away with the flow of bodies the foot traffic was that dense.

I apologize to everyone looking for me this afternoon, but I freaked out a little.

My girlfriend had to leave also. She couldn't take the amount of people. It was just crazy at times. Sales have definitely been good so far. Hoping for a repeat tomorrow.

Sounds like Marty St. Louis during a goal mouth scrum. :)

This is the busiest Megacon I have seen. Insane. They ran ads on TV. I think that might of helped....who knows. Hope to stop and shop a little tomorrow. I'm on a corner table in artists alley pink. Today was nonstop people. And most seemed to be having fun. Most costumes I've seen at a Megacon. Some look like they put A LOT of work in on them.

-Christian

It was ridiculously packed today which is on MegaCon. They shouldn't overbook, but it looks like greed won out. It was also poorly organized. Friday was great and I'm hoping today is better, but yea, my gf was ready to leave pretty early on. Not to mention we didn't go to any panels because the lines were insane and I heard there was a clusterf**k at the Walking Dead panel where people waited in line for 2 hours then a bunch of other people bum rushed when they opened the doors and the people waiting didn't get in. Just awful..

This was the first Megacon that I spent two days at and the first time I went on Friday. Friday was definitely the better day for us. It was easier to move around the hall and I could traverse from side to the other relatively easy. If I only do one day next year it will be on Friday.

It seemed that being an advance ticket holder this year was a penalty as apposed to being an advantage. The onsite ticket line seemed to 1/10 the size and it looked like thy were let in at noon with the advance ticket holders.

Overall this was the best Megacon that I can remember in recent memory. The isles seemed larger and even when it was packed on Saturday it seemed easier to move around compared to previous years. I introduced myself to the dealers I recognized from the boards (Dale and Greg) and I had good conversations with them and a couple of the other dealers.

One of the highlights for me was meeting Frank Brunner. He had been on my list of artist to meet since the early 80's. On Friday I had the opportunity to spend some time and talk to him, buy some sketches, and get my book signed.

I did the trip with a buddy and his two daughters. Some of you probably helped her with her scavenger hunt. She had a lot of fun with the scavenger hunt and it kept her entertained both days.

We only stayed through yesterday morning, largely because of the crowds. In fact, I ended up walking out of the convention center, then to Universal Blvd, just so my wife, who was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 1.5 hours just trying to get there, could pick me up. Insane amount of people, without doubt. I could see yesterday's numbers alone surpassing 40k+, it really felt like the size of crowd at a sold out NFL game or something.

As for the convention itself, probably my best for buying in the 13 MegaCons I have attended. Good supply of material, though I bought mainly for resale and not myself. Got some great deals from Jamie Graham and Chris Foss, both of who had lots of great stuff. I went box diving for bargains as opposed to wall shopping for keys (many of which were....umm...optimistically priced), and found quite a bit not only at the two dealers I mentioned above, but also Harley's, Dale's, Marc Nathanson's, and a few other booths. This was probably the first time I was buying well into Saturday at MegaCon, normally I'm done by 2pm on Friday, and I think there was more there to be found if I only had the time.

yeah it was crazy yesterday the busiest megacon i have gone to and it have been better organize this year. their was no map of things were looked some aisle were wide open and others were close tight. i think they could have move all the actors and voice actors to were the photo booth was and the same goes for the schools.

Shortly after I talked to you I went and bought some graphic novels and sat outside to wait for my buddy. I couldn't take it anymore either