• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superior Spider-Man in DD 21 - Why not notated by CGC?

69 posts in this topic

My previous post may come across as harsh to current fans of the book.

I apologize.

I personally did not care for the story line, and gave up on the Spidey books some time ago.

Just my opinion. And yes, they are just like elbows...

Daredevil #21 Dated 2/13 by CGC

Avenging Spider Man #15.1 2/13

Amazing Spider Man #298 3/13

I never bought the "Avenging" series but had a friend tell me that Octo-Pete builds the Superior suit in this. Does he refer to himself as Superior? The Daredevil only has "SSpidey" in one panel, in the shadows. I'm no genius but I if all thats true in "Avenging", wouldn't that be considered the 1st Superior appearance?

He never refers to himself as superior. He is simply Dr. Oct mind in Peter's body. He does make tweaks and improvements to the spidey suit but I think Octo-Pete is more about an attitude change and that's evident in DD #21.

At the end of Avenging 15.1 I believe he says, "I will be a SUPERIOR Spider-Man"

I actually bought Avenging #15.1 today. Here it goes:

-On the next to last page you see Octo-Pete putting on the revamped suit: New boots, gloves, chest armor, and goggles.

-Last page splash of Octo-Pete swinging over the city with revamped suit on. "Doctor Octopus is dead. Long live the SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN."

First time with new suit and refering himself as the SSM.

I actually bought Avenging #15.1 today. Here it goes:

-On the next to last page you see Octo-Pete putting on the revamped suit: New boots, gloves, chest armor, and goggles.

-Last page splash of Octo-Pete swinging over the city with revamped suit on. "Doctor Octopus is dead. Long live the SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN."

First time with new suit and refering himself as the SSM.

A character's does not need to be named within a title for that appearance to be a first.

Good news for the fans of the run (of which I am one!). Superior Spider-Man is getting his own series again:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/superior-spider-man-returns-marvel/amp/

....so I thought it would he a good time to revive this debate.  

For me, the answer is easy and obvious- the origin and first (full) appearance of SSM is without question, ASM 700.

To make my case I will first debunk why it isn't the other suggestions that were first offered in this thread. 

It isn't DD 21.  Why?  Because although the creator stated it would be the first time we see the character interacting with other Marvel characters,  the appearance, such as it was, turned out to be a very thin cameo only at the end of the book. Furthermore, it is out of continuity, specifically, the scene we see in DD 21 occurs after the events within ASM 700:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/superior-spider-man-returns-marvel/amp/

DD 21 came out just one week before ASM 700, which makes even this cameo look more like a hiccup in the ordering of release dates than an actually intended first cameo anyway.  

ASM 698-  Not even close.  Otto was still only impersonating Spidey in this issue.  While it may have some elements of the character's origins, it does not all come together until 700, where the death of Peter inspires him much in the same way the death of Ben inspired Peter. 

Avenging Spider-Man 15.1-  Nope. Although it was released the same day as ASM 700, the events also take place after ASM 700 in continuity. Although he does put the finishing touches on his costume in this issue, he has already assumed the moniker "Superior" in ASM 700.  It is also interesting to note that the Marvel wikia also notes the first appearance of the costume in ASM 700:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Superior_Spider-Man's_Suit

ASM 700- The case for the first full appearance can easiest be made here. How ?  Only after Otto finishes the mind upload into Peter's body and he believes Peter to be dead in his body does he proclaim"Farewell, Peter Parker. Know this, I will carry on in your name. You may be leaving this world, but you are not leaving it to a villain. I swear. I will be Spider-Man. Better yet, with my unparalleled genius-- --and my boundless ambition-- --I'll be a betterSpider-Man than you ever were. From this day forth, I shall become... ...The Superior Spider-Man!"

So he actually names himself here.  He is also named (for the first time) on the cover of the 700 Ditko variant ("INTRODUCING.... an ALL NEW SUPERIOR HERO!").

There you have it.  I would be interested to hear any dissenting opinions.  

-J.

58 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I would be interested to hear any dissenting opinions.  

Dan Slott dissents from the looks of it. And he wroted it and everything