• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

"That, and the character is rapidly becoming over-exposed.

-J."

Becoming, or already is...? haha

Deadpool has her beat in the overexposed department, but I think he's the only one.

Deadpool is way overexposed too. Marvel has beaten that variant horse to death. NM 98 went from a $450 book to a $1000 book and everybody went nuts then too. Now it's back down to about a $750 book, with sales as low as $675 recently. That would mean only about a $250 movie bump after all is said and done.

Expect about the same, give or take, with BA 12.

-J.

Keep in mind that theres A LOT more NM98 9.8s than BA 12s in 9.8

Which will be the big difference between these two books, both are currently the hottest comic characters but for rarity alone, i think BA12 will always sell for more than NM98s.

There are far, far, farrrrrrr more New Mutants #98s, of all flavors, than BA #12s extant.

FARRRR more.

Let's just put it in the only real numbers we have: Cap City orders.

NM #98 - 55,200

BA #12 - 19,200

So, yeah.

If Harley remains as big as she is, she may turn out to be the dark horse character of the 90's.

Who knew?

"A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place."

-Gordon Gekko (Wall Street)

I love that quote. lol

It won't turn out to be accurate in this case, though. Harley's rise in popularity has been building for a while. She'll be a key hobby fixture for years. When you look at BA 12 print and supply numbers, and use NM 98 as a measuring stick, you realize there may even be more room to run for 9.8s.

Five years out, $1500 for a BA 12 in 9.8 may seem cheap.

Right. "This time will be different." :baiting: *yawn*

-J.

No. It'll be the same.

The same as other characters who've become leading players in the hobby and seen the values of their first appearances rise. Think Wolverine circa 1980, Punisher circa 1986, Deadpool over the past few years ... and now Harley.

There's a long history of characters becoming hobby favorites to draw from.

Or....more like the same pumped up movie hype, with the same subsequent crash.

The market has changed since Wolverine and the Punisher, and this book is being relentlessly pumped (on these boards) and shilled (on ebay).

These are not the hallmarks of long term viability.

That, and the character is rapidly becoming over-exposed.

-J.

Do you just argue, just to argue. DP has staying power as does Harley. Stop with the doom and gloom. Let people buy what they like and stop trying to pizz on it everytime they do.

Book has staying power, it's not Squirrel Girl, or Legends 3 or X-Factor 6 even, it's a bonafide key with the top five character in the planet. It's a big deal and a good book.

Jim

I love that quote. lol

It won't turn out to be accurate in this case, though. Harley's rise in popularity has been building for a while. She'll be a key hobby fixture for years. When you look at BA 12 print and supply numbers, and use NM 98 as a measuring stick, you realize there may even be more room to run for 9.8s.

-J.

No. It'll be the same.

The same as other characters who've become leading players in the hobby and seen the values of their first appearances rise. Think Wolverine circa 1980, Punisher circa 1986, Deadpool over the past few years ... and now Harley.

The market has changed since Wolverine and the Punisher, and this book is being relentlessly pumped (on these boards) and shilled (on ebay).

-J.

Book has staying power, it's not Squirrel Girl, or Legends 3 or X-Factor 6 even, it's a bonafide key with the top five character in the planet. It's a big deal and a good book.

Jim

Batman

Spiderman

Superman

Wolverine

Iron Man

Captain America

Incredible Hulk

Thor

Wonder Woman

Flash

Joker

Daredevil

Archie

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

"Top 5 character on the planet"?

Come on dude. Cosplay doesn't count and stop acting like the book has been "selling" for $1500 for the last two years instead of two weeks. People can buy what they want and pay whatever they want but enough with the pumping and carnival barking already. :eyeroll:

-J.

I love that quote. lol

-J.

No. It'll be the same.

-J.

Jim

Batman

Spiderman

Superman

Wolverine

Iron Man

Captain America

Incredible Hulk

Thor

Wonder Woman

Flash

Joker

Daredevil

Archie

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

"Top 5 character on the planet"?

Come on dude. Cosplay doesn't count and stop acting like the book has been "selling" for $1500 for the last two years instead of two weeks. People can buy what they want and pay whatever they want but enough with the pumping and carnival barking already. :eyeroll:

-J.

I'm just glad you didn't put Deadpool on that list.

In case anyone was wondering, the buyer on that BA #12 ($1690) paid. Also, sold a BA Mad Love 9.8 for $500. <-----(This is the book that I would be investing in going forward in the longer term as I can see this being a 1k book and BA #12 being a 2-2.5 K book. Just my opinion, so do with that what you will)

Top 5 in the Batman universe and thats good enough. BA #12 is a major key and will be for years, maybe forever.

Ehhhhh....maybe.

Five years ago, no one cared about Harley. That's nearly two decades of obscurity. History has shown that obscurity isn't permanent...and neither is the spotlight.

Top 5 in the Batman universe and thats good enough. BA #12 is a major key and will be for years, maybe forever.

Ehhhhh....maybe.

Five years ago, no one cared about Harley. That's nearly two decades of obscurity. History has shown that obscurity isn't permanent...and neither is the spotlight.

That's so deep! :golfclap:

Ehhhhh....maybe.

Well said.

-J.

Ehhhhh....maybe.

One of your smaller posts but spot on. Too many factors can lead to either one, especially the part in bold

Ehhhhh....maybe.

That's so deep! :golfclap:

No need for the trolling, Kevin.

So you have exactly two ebay auctions going on right now for CGC copies and they are both being shilled.

There's this one, again:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=221652606157&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

And this one, with such a similar MO it almost makes you wonder if it's actually the same seller:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=251775367433&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

It's deja vu all over again. For more reasons than one.

Lather, rinse, repeat. :tonofbricks:

-J.

I have no dog in this fight bc I don't own the book, but I gotta say that, Jay, you're calling shills on books--from what I have noticed--isn't exactly done with integrity or objective view of facts. You have a hard on for books you hate and then you go after them. I don't know why you're not calling shills on Hulk 1s which have been plagued recently by fake sales and constant relists. Yet you go on the Hulk 1 club thread pumping Hulk 1 and ST110 constantly. But you sure are going hard after BA12. Wonder if it's bc you own a Hulk 1--and not a BA12. Hard to say you have integrity when you do that.

And who sets a reserve on a shilled auction? That's just silly. The whole point of a shill is to make sure it sells above the shill price (already a reserve). My understanding of reserve ebay auctions is you pay a fee even if the book doesn't sell. Why pay extra listing fees a book that won't sell unless you the reserve price is real. I can see low feedback bidders going after BA12 bc at least some will be non-comic ppl who love the character and want a high graded copy but don't use ebay much or buy comics normally.

So you have exactly two ebay auctions going on right now for CGC copies and they are both being shilled.

There's this one, again:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=221652606157&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

And this one, with such a similar MO it almost makes you wonder if it's actually the same seller:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=251775367433&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

It's deja vu all over again. For more reasons than one.

Lather, rinse, repeat. :tonofbricks:

-J.

Oh right, a zero feedback user placed a bid so therefore the whole auction is shilled?

Don't you have other things in this world to worry about? Starting to think you make up stuff to worry about.

And who sets a reserve on a shilled auction? That's just silly.

Not really though.

The whole point of a shill is to make sure it sells above the shill price (already a reserve).

And a shill bidder can make sure it reaches that reserve.

And shill bidders are not always the seller. Oftentimes a shill bidder is a third party who has no relation to the seller but owns a copy of the same book, or several copies. They bump up the prices on other auctions of the same book to make it appear as though the market is stronger than what it actually is. They also purchase Buy It Now listings, and end up not paying for the

item, so that any other interested buyers have fewer listings to choose from and no BIN options.

As outside the box thinking as this may seem to a lot of people, it happens all the time.

My understanding of reserve ebay auctions is you pay a fee even if the book doesn't sell.

That reserve price fee is negligible for items that are hundreds or thousands of dollars, it is 1% of the reserve price.

Why pay extra listing fees a book that won't sell unless you the reserve price is real.

Because the fees are more than worth paying if you can land a sucker and actually sell the book.

I can see low feedback bidders going after BA12 bc at least some will be non-comic ppl who love the character and want a high graded copy but don't use ebay much or buy comics normally.

Yes, low feedback bidders that only bid on items from one particular seller. And that bid on items with no discernible common theme among them. And that don't bother bidding on the listings of other sellers who are selling the exact same item or items.

Ehhhhh....maybe.

I have to agree with you on this.... when i was considering getting rid all of comics 5 plus years ago, no one was searching for this like a madman. it went unnoticed and people claimed everything from the copper era was just mass produced and unwanted.... until the past couple of years Harley all of sudden got hot.

Hell even when i got back into comic collecting last year march, while i was going through a couple of old sneaker boxes i had with comics over at my parents house i found this title and was damn near close to not bagging and boarding it but simply throwing it out in the garbage.

I of course ended up getting my copy CGC and keeping it considering im a big Batman series fan.

I said it once before and i'll say it again, Harley now is like what Lobo was back in the 90s.... Got ridiculously Popular, was not a hero but something else, and lobo was like Harley is now which is all over the place. TONS and TONS of 1-shot issues, mini series etc. while Lobo disappeared until they just came out with this new teen wolf/twilight movie looking lobo one can only imagine what will happen to harley come the next 5 years or so.

needless to say Now her first appearance is a hot cake so let it continue to be one.

I have no dog in this fight bc I don't own the book, but I gotta say that, Jay, you're calling shills on books--from what I have noticed--isn't exactly done with integrity or objective view of facts. You have a hard on for books you hate and then you go after them. I don't know why you're not calling shills on Hulk 1s which have been plagued recently by fake sales and constant relists. Yet you go on the Hulk 1 club thread pumping Hulk 1 and ST110 constantly. But you sure are going hard after BA12. Wonder if it's bc you own a Hulk 1--and not a BA12. Hard to say you have integrity when you do that.

And who sets a reserve on a shilled auction? That's just silly. The whole point of a shill is to make sure it sells above the shill price (already a reserve). My understanding of reserve ebay auctions is you pay a fee even if the book doesn't sell. Why pay extra listing fees a book that won't sell unless you the reserve price is real. I can see low feedback bidders going after BA12 bc at least some will be non-comic ppl who love the character and want a high graded copy but don't use ebay much or buy comics normally.

:popcorn: