• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever seen a fight at a Con

244 posts in this topic

Someone once told me a fight broke out at a boardie dinner - not sure how long ago this happened.

If I remember correctly it was over pressing comics.

lol

Ive been here a while and never heard of that.

+1

Someone once told me a fight broke out at a boardie dinner - not sure how long ago this happened.

lol

+1

I've never heard of that happening either.

lol

+1

And that is something that would have been legendary here.

I was at a Rich Henn board dinner a few years ago and Showcase 4 showed up drunk looking for Arex Crooke like he wanted to fight, then he seemed to quickly change his mind, and we later saw him staggering down the road.

lol

+1

At the second Chicago board dinner there were disgruntled folks that booed Matt Nelson as he rose to introduce himself. There is a tradition of everyone taking their turn standing, saying their name, their board name, and what they collect. When Matt said "Matt Nelson" some nimrods booed. But when he got to the collecting part Billy Parker diffused the situation by yelling "wrinkled comics" before Matt could finish.

I was at a Rich Henn board dinner a few years ago and Showcase 4 showed up drunk looking for Arex Crooke like he wanted to fight, then he seemed to quickly change his mind, and we later saw him staggering down the road.

Yes, I was sad we got lost on the way and didnt get there on time.

Was that the night with the supposed pit cooked bbq even though it had rained like hell, there was no hole in the back yard, and the bbq was in tin trays like you would get from takeout, and we paid like $40 and got a bbq sandwich, some pizza, and couple of luke warm beers?

lol

+1

At the second Chicago board dinner there were disgruntled folks that booed Matt Nelson as he rose to introduce himself. There is a tradition of everyone taking their turn standing, saying their name, their board name, and what they collect. When Matt said "Matt Nelson" some nimrods booed. But when he got to the collecting part Billy Parker diffused the situation by yelling "wrinkled comics" before Matt could finish.

Yeah, I remember that one. Totally classless when whoever it happened.

Where was it where Kenny and pedigree-man (or something like that) damn near got in a heated argument? I was sitting at the table with both of them, with Kenny either on my right or left and this bozo asked him a question about pressing and then proceeded to talk over Kenny. I have never seen Kenny that ticked off.

Now that I think about it it was probably Chicago.

Yes, I was sad we got lost on the way and didnt get there on time.

Was that the night with the supposed pit cooked bbq even though it had rained like hell, there was no hole in the back yard, and the bbq was in tin trays like you would get from takeout, and we paid like $40 and got a bbq sandwich, some pizza, and couple of luke warm beers?

Yeah, that's the one.

Howard 'tape is not a defect' Rogofsky was chased out of a convention at knifepoint by a disgruntled customer. That would've been interesting to watch.
Whoah, that goes back a ways!

I only read about it a few years ago, but it's a good one.

At a Motor City Con in the early '90s John Fairless flipped a table (and all of his books) going after a customer after a negotiation turned sour, heated, and personal. The cops stopped it before John totally whooped the guy. They let John stay. The customer had to go.

That is crazy. Were they at least dollar books?

I wasn't witness to this but heard about it happening (supposedly) at a forum dinner where a fight nearly started over who would collect the money and pay for the dinner all at once. Rumor is, and I won't name names to add some intrigue, is that one boardie called the other out to a fight and it was a pretty tense situation. Why am I never there for these things?

At a Motor City Con in the early '90s John Fairless flipped a table (and all of his books) going after a customer after a negotiation turned sour, heated, and personal. The cops stopped it before John totally whooped the guy. They let John stay. The customer had to go.

That is crazy. Were they at least dollar books?

Your sig line is :insane:

I wasn't witness to this but heard about it happening (supposedly) at a forum dinner where a fight nearly started over who would collect the money and pay for the dinner all at once. Rumor is, and I won't name names to add some intrigue, is that one boardie called the other out to a fight and it was a pretty tense situation. Why am I never there for these things?

Forum dinners can be a shambles to collect money after the fact, unfortunately. I've paid for more than my share of food and drink more than once because some people didn't. Collecting money ahead of time is always a good idea - it just helps eliminate anything negative coming out afterwards and ruining a good time.

lol

+1

And that is something that would have been legendary here.

"Fight" would be an exaggeration. Posturing is more like it. It punctuated an otherwise tremendous evening, and was pretty funny in and of itself.

And, no, I'm not sharing names.

Where was it where Kenny and pedigree-man (or something like that) damn near got in a heated argument? I was sitting at the table with both of them, with Kenny either on my right or left and this bozo asked him a question about pressing and then proceeded to talk over Kenny. I have never seen Kenny that ticked off.

I think I was there. That was yearssss ago

Another classic. lol

I'm pretty sure you were. Mighta been first Chicago trip where u me and nik roomed.