• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA Error? Shazam (1973) #1 CGC 9.8 Sells for $2500?

52 posts in this topic

I have a sweet copy of this I bought on the cheap off some board member's sale thread a while back.

Looks like it will be getting the Fast Track on the next submission. hm

stupid buyer ... very, very lucky seller

Hey, it took the seller five years to land this book! How can anyone pass it up?

Alas, it is the few-and-far-between sales like these that encourage many eBay sellers to high-ball the out of graded books, thus creating artificial, not-reflective-of-FMV pricing. 95% of the "buy it now" prices on eBay comic listing are totally unreasonable.

And a bunch of japanese pr0n manga, some books about djinns and lingerie and a large-breasted doll with no head

I have a sweet copy of this I bought on the cheap off some board member's sale thread a while back.

Looks like it will be getting the Fast Track on the next submission. hm

The odds of finding another shmo ... :sorry:

Alas, it is the few-and-far-between sales like these that encourage many eBay sellers to high-ball the out of graded books, thus creating artificial, not-reflective-of-FMV pricing. 95% of the "buy it now" prices on eBay comic listing are totally unreasonable.

This

Ebay item #190725413781 - best offer, $2500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190725413781

I'm sorry, but I'm only seeing that it was listed with a buy it now price of $2800 and that a best offer price was accepted. Where does it indicate a $2500 sale was consummated?

Prolly been said already, but . . . I think gary bought it from suzy lol

Wasn't 1/3 the print of Shazam # 1 bought by two speculators directly off the shelves?

I remember reading about this in an old Overstreets Update. Something about the book skyrocketing to $6 or something upon release due to a regional shortage in the mid-west. When what happened was these two guys actually just bought 40,000 copies or such, so the trucks went straight to them.

Anybody recall this, know more, or can shed some light?

Wasn't 1/3 the print of Shazam # 1 bought by two speculators directly off the shelves?

I remember reading about this in an old Overstreets Update. Something about the book skyrocketing to $6 or something upon release due to a regional shortage in the mid-west. When what happened was these two guys actually just bought 40,000 copies or such, so the trucks went straight to them.

Anybody recall this, know more, or can shed some light?

Even if that were true, I bet 40000 copies is only 1/16 of the print run.

I do recall there was heavy speculation on this book, with many dealers asking 50¢ a copy in the CBG a few weeks after it came out, with discounts for buying multiples.

Not a bad book, but a heavily speculated on (at the time) book with many being put in cold storage for eons that should be 9.6 - 9.8 quality.

With that said, the character always has possibilities and the black adam stuff is interesting. I loved in Kingdom Come how he was the only person on earth who could take on Superman...I've always hated how Superman is so untouchable

Not a bad book, but a heavily speculated on (at the time) book with many being put in cold storage for eons that should be 9.6 - 9.8 quality.

With that said, the character always has possibilities and the black adam stuff is interesting. I loved in Kingdom Come how he was the only person on earth who could take on Superman...I've always hated how Superman is so untouchable

Agreed.

I've been interested collecting the Superman Vs. Captain Marvel comic covers. My favorite one is when DC put them together in a DC limited Collector Edition Treasury. The All-Star squadron story well written as well.