• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zen and the art of moderation
2 2

908 posts in this topic

I'd like to have a Savannah. Just can't afford one.

Unfortunately the first-generation cats won't get much cheaper because of one genetic disadvantage of the cross-breeding--all the males are born sterile. Or at least the vast majority are. The females can bear young, and that's why I called the type I want a "first-generation" Savannah--that's when a domestic cat is bred directly with a serval. "Second generation" is when a female Savannah breeds with another domestic male, so the kittens are born with fewer of the serval traits. They're quite a bit smaller, for one thing, but they're also much cheaper since you can make so many kittens from a Savannah female. I'd imagine many of the other traits I described earlier aren't there in the later-generation Savannahs such as the dog-like behavior or extreme agility and jumping ability, but I'm not sure.

Many of the distant-generation kittens from a serval still have the distinctive spots and are comparatively cheap--around $100 to $500--although they're usually about the size of a domestic cat, i.e. 10 to 20 pounds. That wild, spotted look is often what people like about them though, so distant-generation Savannahs are fairly sought after.

Just leaving the vets after visiting my pup. So far so good but she isn't out of the woods yet. They are running blood tests again this evening and then will have a better idea if she's gonna pull thru :wishluck:

Poor little girl! She looked so sad :cry:

Please, please, PLEASE let me be posting that I'm taking her home and shes all better a few days from now :foryou:

I'd like to have a Savannah. Just can't afford one.

Unfortunately the first-generation cats won't get much cheaper because of one genetic disadvantage of the cross-breeding--all the males are born sterile. Or at least the vast majority are. The females can bear young, and that's why I called the type I want a "first-generation" Savannah--that's when a domestic cat is bred directly with a serval. "Second generation" is when a female Savannah breeds with another domestic male, so the kittens are born with fewer of the serval traits. They're quite a bit smaller, for one thing, but they're also much cheaper since you can make so many kittens from a Savannah female. I'd imagine many of the other traits I described earlier aren't there in the later-generation Savannahs such as the dog-like behavior or extreme agility and jumping ability, but I'm not sure.

Many of the distant-generation kittens from a serval still have the distinctive spots and are comparatively cheap--around $100 to $500--although they're usually about the size of a domestic cat, i.e. 10 to 20 pounds. That wild, spotted look is often what people like about them though, so distant-generation Savannahs are fairly sought after.

Thanks for the info.

I'm in that group - not too bothered about F1, as long as there's the serval-like spot pattern. The blue-coated breed looks very cool.

Even though the blood tests looked good last night, for some reason I had a REALLY bad feeling. I took my kids out of school at lunch and drive them over to the vets so they could hold the puppy for like 30 minutes. I was hoping shed be better than yesterday but she definitely looked worse and totally lethargic.

Vets called an hour ago and said she had been crashing all day since we left. They didn't think she would last more than a few hours and recommended euthanasia.

I've had to do it like 15 times with our dogs when they got old and sick but this was a million times worse! To hold the cutest little tiny puppy you love in your arms while they put her to sleep is horrible. Despite how it might seem, I'm not exactly an emotional guy. I can't even remember the last time I cried, probably when Keith Smart hit that jumper to beat Syracuse in the 87 title game. I'm just sitting in my car in the parking lot crying like a 8 year old girl now though :cry::cry::cry:

Even though the blood tests looked good last night, for some reason I had a REALLY bad feeling. I took my kids out of school at lunch and drive them over to the vets so they could hold the puppy for like 30 minutes. I was hoping shed be better than yesterday but she definitely looked worse and totally lethargic.

Vets called an hour ago and said she had been crashing all day since we left. They didn't think she would last more than a few hours and recommended euthanasia.

I've had to do it like 15 times with our dogs when they got old and sick but this was a million times worse! To hold the cutest little tiny puppy you love in your arms while they put her to sleep is horrible. Despite how it might seem, I'm not exactly an emotional guy. I can't even remember the last time I cried, probably when Keith Smart hit that jumper to beat Syracuse in the 87 title game. I'm just sitting in my car in the parking lot crying like a 8 year old girl now though :cry::cry::cry:

That sucks man, my condolences to you and the family.

:foryou:

Sorry Jason.

Really sorry to hear that.

Sorry Jason.

+1

Definitely time for you to get a little good luck.

Thanks guys!

Now comes the REALLY horrible part! Picking up my daughter from gymnastics and breaking the news to her! She is going to be beyond devastated, especially after losing Pippin last week :sorry: