• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zen and the art of moderation
2 2

908 posts in this topic

Kids are resilient. Remind her of all the time she did spend with her pet, and how much he loved her. :foryou:

Having grown up on a farm, I've seen many animals die that I've grown attached to but it's never easy for a child to see their first pet die. There's not a lot to console a distressed child but it's helpful to let them know that the pet lived until it was very old in pet years and had a whole animal life.

It is the curse of keeping pets that we will always see them die, what seems to us very quickly but is actually their natural lifespan.

Kids are resilient. Remind her of all the time she did spend with her pet, and how much he loved her. :foryou:

Having grown up on a farm, I've seen many animals die that I've grown attached to but it's never easy for a child to see their first pet die. There's not a lot to console a distressed child but it's helpful to let them know that the pet lived until it was very old in pet years and had a whole animal life.

It is the curse of keeping pets that we will always see them die, what seems to us very quickly but is actually their natural lifespan.

All good points.

Unfortunately no matter how many times you go thru it, it never gets easier. :(

I just looked at his paperwork and we bought him April 18, 2001, exactly 12 years ago. My in laws were showing their dogs at a dog show and we went the 2nd day because they said there was a breeder there with Pom puppies. The second we saw him my wife threw a fit to buy him even though she only likes big dogs. He was so cute and little, literally the size of a tennis ball. He was just the sweetest most loyal dog you could ever have.

When he was little, I would be playing Playstation and he would whine at the couch to be picked up. Then He would scratch at my chest until I would put him up on my shoulder and would just curl into a tiny little ball against my neck and sleep like that for hours. I loved that little guy so much! I can't freaking believe he's gone :cry:

I am truly sorry for your loss. Been there and done that. Too many times.

A poem for you.

~~~ A Dog's Plea ~~~

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend,

for no heart in all the world is more grateful

for the kindness than the loving heart of me!

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though

I might lick your hand between blows, your patience

and understanding will more quickly teach me the things

you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's

sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging

of my tail when the sound of your footstep falls upon

my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a

domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to the bitter

elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of

sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you

when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I might stay well, to romp and play

and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready,

willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life

be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy

good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts

to keep me going. I am not having any fun.

Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall

leave this Earth knowing with the last breath I draw that

my fate was always safest in your hands.

~ Beth Norman Harris ~

Edited by conditionfreak

sufunk - my condolences about your dog. I too know how hard it can be, esp. when you are sure yours is the absolute best in the world.

:(

I would have responded sooner, but I was nursing a minor wrist injury - it got slapped. :/

-slym

Thanks!

I don't know why but this death has hit me harder than any other dog I've ever owned :(

We are actually going to a breeders house in like an hour to look at Pom puppies. I'm 99% sure we aren't going to buy one for a few months but whenever I say that, it usually results in a new puppy :facepalm:

We are such suckers! This is why we NEVER go to look at puppies! :blush:

They are filling out the paperwork for our new Pomeranian puppy as we speak :facepalm:

16bua.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Damn! That is a freaking cute Pom! :cloud9:

The breeder had the cutest Pom puppy I've ever seen. Its markings I had never seen before and it had blue eyes. Luckily, it was a boy and we wanted a girl because they wanted $5,000 for it :o

Other than maybe Paris Hilton, who the hell pays 5 G's for a puppy?!? ???

We are such suckers! This is why we NEVER go to look at puppies! :blush:

They are filling out the paperwork for our new Pomeranian puppy as we speak :facepalm:

16bua.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Damn! That is a freaking cute Pom! :cloud9:

The breeder had the cutest Pom puppy I've ever seen. Its markings I had never seen before and it had blue eyes. Luckily, it was a boy and we wanted a girl because they wanted $5,000 for it :o

Other than maybe Paris Hilton, who the hell pays 5 G's for a puppy?!? ???

Who pays 5 G's for a comic? :)

Awwww, that's a cute Pom oak!!! :cloud9: I hope you still have MANY years left with your little buddy! :wishluck:

They really are the best dogs EVER! I've had every breed you can imagine and Poms are easily the most loving, loyal dogs Ive ever had. You don't know what "lap dog" really means until you've had a Pom. They just aren't happy unless they are actually touching their owners.

Sweetest little dogs in the world!!! :luhv:

Wow!!!

Last night the puppy was great and active, all was good. For the 1st night all week, my kids didn't cry themselves to sleep over Pippin dying Monday. This morning, puppy was lethargic and wouldn't eat. I just left the vet, she had Parvo and based on her bloodwork they said she has a 50/50 chance of living. They are keeping her 1-5 days hopefully :cry:

Right now I'm at the place we bought her with my $1500 estimate from the vets. I'm waiting to see what they say. You may or may not see me on the news tomorrow for beating the snot out of someone here based on their answer when they come back :mad:

Wow!!!

Last night the puppy was great and active, all was good. For the 1st night all week, my kids didn't cry themselves to sleep over Pippin dying Monday. This morning, puppy was lethargic and wouldn't eat. I just left the vet, she had Parvo and based on her bloodwork they said she has a 50/50 chance of living. They are keeping her 1-5 days hopefully :cry:

Right now I'm at the place we bought her with my $1500 estimate from the vets. I'm waiting to see what they say. You may or may not see me on the news tomorrow for beating the snot out of someone here based on their answer when they come back :mad:

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

This must be quite an emotional roller coaster for all of you.