• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie: Iron Man 3

427 posts in this topic

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but I could have missed it. I don't see a reason that still can't place the Mandarin in another Iron Man movie. Marvel writers can turn things around in the books all the time, some seamlessly, some not, but I think it could still be done....and with all the fan reaction, seems pretty likely to me.

The ten rings organization from the first movie mention...those guys actually existed, so why not have a leader that isn't interested in all the spotlight?

I thought what they did with the villain was stupid, and I don't even follow the related comics. Wasn't expecting much, since #2 was terrible. Looking at the other movies the director has written and/or directed it was rather disappointing. I also find Gwenyth Paltrow to be intolerable. She was alright in the first two installments of this series, but went back to being atrocious. Also don't really care for how the plot of all 3 movies basically revolves around Tony off a fellow super intelligent rival.

If you haven't seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, I strongly advise you do so.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but I could have missed it. I don't see a reason that still can't place the Mandarin in another Iron Man movie. Marvel writers can turn things around in the books all the time, some seamlessly, some not, but I think it could still be done....and with all the fan reaction, seems pretty likely to me.

The ten rings organization from the first movie mention...those guys actually existed, so why not have a leader that isn't interested in all the spotlight?

The Mandarin is described as an advisor or counsel to a leader, so who is that leader? Will he/she appear in a future film? Not the end of the story? hm

I just got back from seeing Iron Man #3

Eh, it was okay. Nothing special.

It was overlong and the dialog was bland. Tony Starks famous quips and comebacks seemed forced and not at all funny.

Was there even a connection with China? On all the build up I heard about the "Chinese connection" in this film. It simply didn't exist.

The Mandarin... what a disappointment. a joke and a slap in the face to not only comic fans, but to those who spent the first two hours expecting a showdown between a superhero and super villain.

As was always the problem with Iron Man in the comics, he just doesn't have compelling enough villains. I'm getting tired of all the suits. We've seen it all already. For me, the current Iron Man is played out. It's time to move on.

Was there even a connection with China? On all the build up I heard about the "Chinese connection" in this film. It simply didn't exist.

I think that was the point - to excorcise anything that might offend China and get this movie banned there. Ergo, The "Mandarin" wasn't even Chinese.

-slym

But there weren't even any Chinese actors. There was one older guy in the beginning that was famous, and they even cut out bing bing fan's parts here in the states. Not to dwell on that stuff too much, there were other things that were more of a concern.

I just saw it tonight. It stunk. Weakest Marvel movie I have seen in quite awhile. I go to the movies to see these to watch Tony Stark in the Iron Man armor wreck stuff. Not enough of that AT ALL. Hated the twist. Hated he spent most of the movie in armor that did not work. :facepalm:

Its great to see all the different opinions. I don't agree with them all but at least people are getting out to see the movie. I'm not a fan of what they did to the Mandarin but I have to admit...it took me by surprise and was funny.

Here's my thoughts on some of the points mentioned:

The issue with the Mandarin and Chinese connection....in the early part of the movie Tony is reviewing files on the Mandarin and he basically says that it all seems staged and overly dramatic...the Chinese name but no connection to china, the accent that sounds english...the middle eastern killings. It didn't add up.

The issue with his armor not working a lot....to be honest...this was always an issue with Iron Man and the comics. He always had problems with the suits or not getting enough juice to fight or save himself from dying because of his heart issue.

The Extremis explanation was spelled out when Pepper refuses to invest in the company by saying the application can be weaponized...that wasn't the original intent of Extremis but it ended up that way....same as the comic.

Lastly, I think the next twist for Iron Man is that he now has the Extremis in his blood stream and doesn't need the suit anymore. It is genetically built to him.

I liked the movie...I am excited to see all the upcoming movies too (Cap, Thor, Avengers 2)

I just saw it tonight. It stunk. Weakest Marvel movie I have seen in quite awhile. I go to the movies to see these to watch Tony Stark in the Iron Man armor wreck stuff. Not enough of that AT ALL. Hated the twist. Hated he spent most of the movie in armor that did not work. :facepalm:

agreed

I wish I shared the optimism of other viewers but unfortunately walking in I thought I was going to see a powerful, mystic, highly intelligent villian based in a country that shields and even supports, to an extent, his meddling in world affairs.

What I got was a villian that should have been cast as Iron Fist and a plot that appears to be some messy conglomeration of multiple stories. I think that story possibly even contains elements of an early Daredevil story...I think issues 92-93 the "Indestructible Man"....

I can't help but think with Disney in control these Marvel properties are never going to used in plots that would be considered "non-pc."

Can you imagine what Nolans take on the Mandarin would have been...Again, this was supposed to be Iron Man's greatest foe.

Visually, the movie is a great popcorn feature, the on-screen chemistry is great, but in the end it has to be about the story, not the special effects.

I saw it last Thursday night at a late night premier and then again Friday night with my son. Both times, my reaction was the same. It was EASILY the worst of the 3 IM movies. EASILY! IM 2 was Oscar worthy compared to this imo.

My biggest problems with it:

1) like someone else said, i want to see IM kicking in his armor not dealing with armor that falls apart when you touch it.

2) the Mandarin twist was ridiculous. Im not a big fan of Mandarin, always thought he was kind of lame, so it didnt bother me as much as the hardcore IM people. The second it happened, i was like "DAMN! people are gonna be upset over this!". I can tell you right now, if Thanos in Avengers 2 ends up being a guy in some Thanos suit, i gonna track down Joss Whedon and beat the living snot out of him!

3) the villain just didnt do it for me. Theres 10 million super villains in the Marvel Universe and they have IM fighting someone i've never heard of :eyeroll:

4) I HATED the ending with Pepper

I had high expectations for this movie and was definitely disappointed with it.

In my eyes the Christopher Nolan formula was partly the reason this movie fell.

I just think Shane Black was trying to pull a Christopher Nolan movie with the 'unexpected' twist... Just like The Dark Knight Rises, but I couldn't care for those kind of twists... I came to watch a super hero movie. It worked more for Batman, but I'll still say that DKR was a let down, but prior to that, the gritty realism worked for Batman/DC for me - the balance was right for those, but I think Marvel need to focus and remember that they're super hero movies... I want to see stuff that is impossible, i.e. Mandarin, Modok, Ultimo, Fin Fang Foom, etc...

I know they did that with Extremis stuff, and being a big fan of the book; I was satisfied with that stuff, but honestly... Besides that, it seemed like he was trying so hard to do a Christopher Nolan Iron Man movie.

Just my opinion :)

But she's wearing YOGA PANTS!!! (shrug)

That was the only saving grace :cloud9:

For a mom who's had two kids those abs are insane!

If those weren't CGI she might just be a super hero.

If Black was looking to mimic Nolan then he missed by a mile...there was zero tension, no compelling obstacles and the addition of the lil' sidekick was too much.

This was a light hearted family action movie like Indiana Jones or Pirates.

"I can tell you right now, if Thanos in Avengers 2 ends up being a guy in some Thanos suit..."

A perfect opportunity to introduce the..Space Phantom :ohnoez:

That was the only saving grace :cloud9:

For a mom who's had two kids those abs are insane!

If those weren't CGI she might just be a super hero.

Its Pilates :gossip:

Some of these women today are INSANE! At our studio, theres my wife and these 2 other women. My wife is 39, the other 2 are 42 and all 3 of them have had 2 kids. Their abs are UNREAL, like mind boggling unreal. Better than any 20 year old you will ever see. 40 is definitely the new 20 for women if they take care of themselves (thumbs u

I might go see this again on Sunday just so I watch it knowing everything that happens and have a fresh view of it.

People complained that Bruce Wayne was not in the Batman suit until at least 35-40 minutes into DKR? Well how many minutes is Tony Stark IN the Iron Man suit?

I liked Stark jumping in and out of the suits at the end, was kind of cool, however…. Talk about inconsistency, the Iron Man suit that went toe-to-toe with Thor in the Avengers seems to just fall to bits any time it’s touched.

Anyway those are nitpicks of what is a popcorn flick. The Mandarin twist still SUCKED and to be honest if it was played straight, the Mandarin being the main villain all the way through, the way Kingsley played him, we would have a much better Iron Man movie then what was produced in the end.