• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie: Iron Man 3

427 posts in this topic

Still, Howard ultimately sees the experience as a positive one, explaining to the radio show that that break allowed him the time to earn his doctorate in chemical engineering.

“And now I have a company where we grow diamonds,” he said. “That's going to replace the silicon in computers; that's going to replace all gemstones. So, if that hadn't happened, I would never have gone back [to school].”

That is a smart man!

If Tony had a basement full of additional suits that could fly to any location why did he waste all that time on the mark 42 that was damaged and had no battle capabilities? Also when attacked at home by the mandarin's soldiers he waits until pepper is clear of the building before recalling the mk42, why not use one of the 40 odd other suits. Also blowing up all the spare suits in the finale was ridiculous why would you do that????[\spoiler]

Again Don Cheadle is no Terence Howard and I think how much better these films could have been with Terence Howard still in the role as he played off RDJ so well in the first. Not sure why he wasn't in the IM2... wage dispute?

Terrence Howard on Why He Didn't Return to the 'Iron Man' Franchise

That's crazy. The studio wanted Don Cheadle in the first place yet Terrence Howard made Rhodey his own, played off RDJ with ease and their interaction brought Iron Man up another level when they were onscreen together.

All Cheadle did was make me not care to see Rhodey ever again.

Agreed - Cheadle just doesn't have the presence.

Just got back from an early screening and have to agree with the consensus so far...the plot twist was a terrible idea. Had it been done with another character it would have been ok but...damn.

I'm officially curious to see if this negatively affects the value of a certain book.

Effects were tight and it was enjoyable overall, it just took a jarring left turn that had me shaking my head.

All in all this falls somewhere between 2 and 1 for me.

PS- "Chunky" monkey shoulda died in the implausible big rescue. I know, suspension of disbelief, but that was a little too "last second" to escape an eye roll.

If Tony had a basement full of additional suits that could fly to any location why did he waste all that time on the mark 42 that was damaged and had no battle capabilities? Also when attacked at home by the mandarin's soilders he waits until pepper is clear of the building before recalling the mk42, why not use one of the 40 odd other suits. Also blowing up all the spare suits in the finale was ridiculous why would you do that????

The last point in your spoiler bothered me as well. (shrug)

If Tony had a basement full of additional suits that could fly to any location why did he waste all that time on the mark 42 that was damaged and had no battle capabilities? Also when attacked at home by the mandarin's soilders he waits until pepper is clear of the building before recalling the mk42, why not use one of the 40 odd other suits. Also blowing up all the spare suits in the finale was ridiculous why would you do that????

The last point in your spoiler bothered me as well. (shrug)

What about the other points? I have several other qualms.

Why when the president is inside iron patriot and is hanging from the cables doesn't he use the suit to get down? After one cable is cut the suit operates fine. For that matter why it was so easy to overpower Iron Patriot in the first place? One zap and he is totally immobile.

This also goes to the constantly changing ability of the suit. In some instances the suits are incredibly powerful like in the IM 2 war machine/Iron man fight. But in other instances the suit is positively fragile, like when on the farm with the boy who is able to snap a finger off the suit by hand or when guy Pearce pulls one of the legs off. It changes depending on how much drama they wish to create.

The fact that the young boy he bumps into just happens to be a tinkerer was so contrived and convenient.

It was incredibly predictable that pepper wouldn’t die. And I found it condescending that the writers thought we would just forget she had superpowers and not see her return coming.

End of rant.

Also

Failure to use the armada of suits he had back at the house was ridiculous.

He has a panic attack because he can't fix the mk 42 but rather than call up one of the other 41 suits he has, he goes to home depot to make those stupid MacGyver weapons then proceeds to defeat the very same soldiers who defeated him when he had an operational suit with Christmas ornaments.

Also if you can defeat Iron Man with four black hawk helicopters why is he even in the Avengers? Why not just buy five black hawks it is cheaper and you don't have to put up with that smug fool.

I dunno, I really liked this film. But I went into it with low expectations, as Iron Man 2 is completely awful. I don't know how anyone could like that film. You could tell Joss Whedon helped write and direct it, it had perfect comedic timing, and was generally fun. No, it's no Avengers, but IMO is easily the best of the 3.

I dunno, I really liked this film. But I went into it with low expectations, as Iron Man 2 is completely awful. I don't know how anyone could like that film. You could tell Joss Whedon helped write and direct it, it had perfect comedic timing, and was generally fun. No, it's no Avengers, but IMO is easily the best of the 3.

Read my spoilers. It was spoon.

Edit: what I like rules. What you like sucks.

I think I have a passion for hating this movie. It was lowest common demoninator drivel. It is sad that such a great genre is brought so low by a desire for dollars and hence popular approval.

I can see where you are coming from with the plot holes/contrivances etc but I was willing to overlook them all as I was having such a good time until the plot-twist.

I think the average joe movie goer is going to love the film, already evidenced by this talking to my work colleague this morning who was in the cinema last night, he loved the movie.

I think kids will love it because its big and flashy and full of humour and explosions.

Die hard Iron Man comic fans.... will probably hate the direction the movie goes.

General comic fans like myself will love the film to a point and then hate the direction the movie goes.

Plot twist aside I still think this is a more enjoyable and satisfying movie then Iron Man 2. End of the day I came out of IM3 with one complaint (that just happened to be a major one) but still could reflect on the set pieces and the enjoyment I got from the movie as a whole. IM2 just generally sucked and I did not want to see it again.

Really looking forward to the reaction from the US once this comes out :insane:

The Mandarin was awesome, had the potential to be one of the greatest comic villains of all time until we find out ... he's an actor?!!

The whole extremis flamimg people. Totally goes against the sciene based world shown in IM 1 and 2 not to mention it was ridiculous.

Stark being out of his armor most of the movie. Yet he has all those suits in his house.

The Mark 42 was a joke. Actually all the armours break apart with one hit. The same armour that went up against Thor!!! Remote controlled armours also cheapens Iron Man.

Breathing fire like WTF???

Slapstick humour and too much of it.

Paltrow Kung Fu kick killing "the mandarin".

The post credits scene after a LONG wait. Was hoping we would maybe see another Thanos scene or the Guardians of the Galaxy. Even something leading into Thor 2 but we get a joke with Banner which isn't even funny.

Lots more but i need to see it again. Such a shame :(

I think I have a passion for hating this movie. It was lowest common demoninator drivel. It is sad that such a great genre is brought so low by a desire for dollars and hence popular approval.

I can see where you are coming from with the plot holes/contrivances etc but I was willing to overlook them all as I was having such a good time until the plot-twist.

I think the average joe movie goer is going to love the film, already evidenced by this talking to my work colleague this morning who was in the cinema last night, he loved the movie.

I think kids will love it because its big and flashy and full of humour and explosions.

Die hard Iron Man comic fans.... will probably hate the direction the movie goes.

General comic fans like myself will love the film to a point and then hate the direction the movie goes.

Plot twist aside I still think this is a more enjoyable and satisfying movie then Iron Man 2. End of the day I came out of IM3 with one complaint (that just happened to be a major one) but still could reflect on the set pieces and the enjoyment I got from the movie as a whole. IM2 just generally sucked and I did not want to see it again.

100% agree.

Really looking forward to the reaction from the US once this comes out :insane:

Me too. lol

Hey I'm in the US (thumbs u

:gossip: My humble and brief review was on the previous page

100% agree.

If I have to overlook several large illogical character choices/plot devices in a movie to enjoy it. It isn't a good movie.