• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie: Iron Man 3

427 posts in this topic

Saw it last night with another boardie. While I can understand many of the negative comments, and even agree with a few of them, for some odd reason that I can't quite explain, I still left the theatre thinking that I saw a pretty damn good movie.

In the end, I was thoroughly entertained, and for me, that's what it's all about.

FWIW, I thought the Mandarin twist was one of the best parts of the story.

Saw it last night.

Enjoyed it but there were a ridiculous number of plot-holes and Tony Stark having all those panic attacks was :insane:

I thought Sir Ben Kingsley would be the best thing in the movie as the Mandarin and he was, but for completely different reasons than I was expecting. He was brilliant and hilarious.

I think the reason Marvel did what they did is that they're paranoid about anything in their movies being too "comic booky" and I guess they thought the Mandarin wouldn't translate well to the screen. The "Osama Bin Laden" Mandarin in the first half of the film was interesting, but does that incarnation have anything to do with the comic version ?

Overall it was good fun, but a bit surreal if you stop and think about any of it.

Saw it last night in IMax 3D. I would strongly recommend this since I can't imagine some of the big battle scenes working well on a small screen (especially a lot of the stuff at the end) and/or in 2D.

I liked the humor, frankly, and I like that the tone of this one was a bit different than the first two. I think if these movies are going to continue working, they will need to have individual identities and feels. This was certainly the same Tony Stark from the first two Iron Man movies and Avengers, but he is a man at a different phase in his life.

I didn't love the "twist" every one is discussing, but I see why they did it. Hard to get into it more with giving anything away, but I think the movie would have been difficult to pull off without it. Very little is black and white in the Marvel Universe and that is one of the best things about it. I think that the twist keyed into the random absurdity that has always been part of that.

I was weary about this movie since the first trailer was released. They were really putting a heavy tone on it which felt like it was trying to mimic the feel of the Batman series, dark, brooding and full of internal/external conflict.

Sounds like they went toward the other extreme they started with IM2, a lot of forced drama created by artificial conflict and attempts at "humor" that came off as corny rather than balancing and drama.

As is the case with most movies I found myself liking #2 more the second time I watched because I could just enjoy it for being a movie rather than it not meeting any hopes/expectations (that’s not saying much as it was disappointing as a stand-alone film as well as not holding up to the first one). As unfortunate as it sounds, I'm hoping I'll be able to enjoy #3 tomorrow a little more knowing a lot of what happens rather than hoping/worrying about what they're going to do with the characters. :wishluck:

I was weary about this movie since the first trailer was released. They were really putting a heavy tone on it which felt like it was trying to mimic the feel of the Batman series, dark, brooding and full of internal/external conflict.

Sounds like they went toward the other extreme they started with IM2, a lot of forced drama created by artificial conflict and attempts at "humor" that came off as corny rather than balancing and drama.

As is the case with most movies I found myself liking #2 more the second time I watched because I could just enjoy it for being a movie rather than it not meeting any hopes/expectations (that’s not saying much as it was disappointing as a stand-alone film as well as not holding up to the first one). As unfortunate as it sounds, I'm hoping I'll be able to enjoy #3 tomorrow a little more knowing a lot of what happens rather than hoping/worrying about what they're going to do with the characters. :wishluck:

Go see it with the idea that it's a summer block buster movie and just enjoy the ride. Don't try to over analyze it and wonder how the character fits into the comic universe and continuity. That seems to be the key. (thumbs u

Saw it last night (Thursday 9:00PM) in UltraAVX 3D and was not disappointed in the least.

The Mandarin twist was perfect IMO and only gave you one true bad guy to hate (unlike other movies) and lightened the movie.

The comedy was pulled off very well and timed perfectly.

The main thing I HATED was the cheesy loud ending credits music and clips.

It was like nails on a chalkboard for me.

And although I prefer Shwarma the Easter Egg was well done.

Go see it with the idea that it's a summer block buster movie and just enjoy the ride. Don't try to over analyze it and wonder how the character fits into the comic universe and continuity. That seems to be the key. (thumbs u

Totally agree.

Go see it with the idea that it's a summer block buster movie and just enjoy the ride... That seems to be the key.....

I always go in with this attitude.

Decent action film, good 3D, but hated the plot twist.

I found it to be good compare to the second film but hated the plot twist. If marvel studios went this route with the character, are they going to do the same thing with thanos and the infinite gauntlet in avengers 2.

I just got out of the movie...... Fantastic!

Seeing it in IMAX tomorrow. It has overwhelming positive reviews from critics and movie goers. Did you stay until after the credits?

Unless you're a die hard tatoo'd Mandarin fan, I can't see how anyone could hate it. I thought it was great and just as enjoyable as the first (thumbs u

There is one thing I didn't like about this movie... When you see it, you will know what I'm talking about.

Well for me, the one thing I didn't like was there was not nearly enough Iron Man in the movie. Very little in fact.

I thought it was a fun movie. It had some good character moments and a lot of laughs. It felt more like a buddy action movie than a Marvel flick, but I guess that's what happens when Shane Black is involved.

The twist with the Mandarin didn't bother me; I thought Ben Kingsley was very funny and was able to sell it to me. But I have to admit that if this was a character that I really cared about, like the Joker or Two Face, I would be pretty pissed off. So I understand why a lot of Iron Man fans aren't crazy about it.

Just saw it in 3d.

1) The movie in general, SUCKED.

2) The story sucked.

3) The villian/s sucked.

4) Robert Downey Jr. just barely, did not suck. But probably seem to be so bad because the story and movie sucked.

5) Pepper Potts did not suck. That is a shame in itself.

6) Glad I did not invest any more money into the Mandarin first appearance. Had one already. He was a joke. Literally a clown.

7) The people sitting around me, talking amongst themselves, were not impressed.

8) Thor trailer did not impress me much.

9) If Avatar was a "9" in 3D-ness, then Iron Man 3 was a 2 in 3D-ness.