• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

See there is a bit of a problem with the first part of your statement. I love the idea that skin color holds no more significance than the color of your eyes, but it does. It represents your history and the history of your family.

That is where my problem comes in with this casting. If Johnny is black than Sue needs to be black. Part of what makes the FF the FF is the family dynamic of the team. If you neglect or change that than part of the dynamic is lost.

They could work around it, but the story would lose focus.

I still don't see the issue, though. So let's say Sue is black, or they are part of a mixed-race family. Okay. They're still a family. So how does this negatively impact the family dynamic of the FF?

I agree, and this isn't the first time someone mentioned them being a family as a reason they can't be different races.

This hits close to home because my wife and I are not the same race. My parents are not the same race. That has no bearing on whether or not we're a family. Basically that argument is irrelevant.

I have no problem with a mixed race family. Not sure why you took that from my post... (shrug)

My point is, are you and your siblings a different race? If Johnny is black then Sue needs to be the same race.

I have no problem with that.

Again, what is "the best product possible"? A product that tries to remain faithful to Stan Lee’s vision or a product that arbitrarily alters it in favor of an "accomplished" movie "version"? Again, we are not talking of acting, we are not talking of race, we are talking of movies that are either inspired, based or vaguely look to Marvel comics? ;)

Honestly, "the best product possible" is the one that makes money, brings new readers into our fold, and allows our heroes to continue on for more generations to come.

That’s only a limited way to look at things. It is highly debatable if the comics Marvel has produced in the last 10-15 years have any worth. Little by little, they turned the characters into empty shells.

Again, it‘s not just about movies, it‘s a problem of cultural (and I do mean cultural, not the shallow use of this word that is generally made nowadays) coherence, and of vision.

Just make Susan Storm black and it shouldn't be a problem right? Or perhaps Johnny Storm was an adopted brother or even a step brother. There are at least a dozen ways to make it work. All I care about is that Johnny's character be irresponsible, a tad of a narcissist and a player with the ladies. (thumbs u

So that’s all the character is about? Good! :P

Of course it is :screwy:

If they're going to make arbitrary changes, why not just do something new? (shrug)

See there is a bit of a problem with the first part of your statement. I love the idea that skin color holds no more significance than the color of your eyes, but it does. It represents your history and the history of your family.

That is where my problem comes in with this casting. If Johnny is black than Sue needs to be black. Part of what makes the FF the FF is the family dynamic of the team. If you neglect or change that than part of the dynamic is lost.

I still don't see the issue, though. So let's say Sue is black, or they are part of a mixed-race family. Okay. They're still a family. So how does this negatively impact the family dynamic of the FF?

I agree, and this isn't the first time someone mentioned them being a family as a reason they can't be different races.

This hits close to home because my wife and I are not the same race. My parents are not the same race. That has no bearing on whether or not we're a family. Basically that argument is irrelevant.

I have no problem with a mixed race family. Not sure why you took that from my post... (shrug)

My point is, are you and your siblings a different race? If Johnny is black then Sue needs to be the same race.

Actually, we are.

Trust me, I know you didn't mean anything negative by it, but you mentioned family dynamic. My point was that my family is all mixed up and dynamic is the least of our worries lol

Actually, we are.

Trust me, I know you didn't mean anything negative by it, but you mentioned family dynamic. My point was that my family is all mixed up and dynamic is the least of our worries lol

I don't think anyone is saying that if the HT is black that it will change the "family dynamic". What it will do is not be the Fantastic Four as they've been represented for the last 50 years. Is change needed? No. Is it arbitrary? Yes.

Actually, we are.

I don't think anyone is saying that if the HT is black that it will change the "family dynamic". What it will do is not be the Fantastic Four as they've been represented for the last 50 years. Is change needed? No. Is it arbitrary? Yes.

To say definitively that it's arbitrary is creating an absolute truth with no real basis. This is just a rumor, but if it is true you can't say for certain the reason behind it unless they flat out say it.

As someone mentioned, the bottom line is $$. I understand you have an emotional investment, but so do many others that do not share your opinion. So then whose point of view is the right one? No one can say, that's why it's personal.

Why not try something new? Something new would not carry the same gravitas as these characters. I imagine non Caucasian individuals who have loved these characters their whole life yet have felt alienated by Caucasian dominated medium with just a handful of characters (b list, at best) they can identify with. They made a new spiderman and people went nuts, so new doesn't always work either.

I believe that these characters were created for the enjoyment of ALL children, but the creators were restricted by societal dictations. So no matter what color anyone is, as long as its done right that's all that matters.

Actually, we are.

To say definitively that it's arbitrary is creating an absolute truth with no real basis. This is just a rumor, but if it is true you can't say for certain the reason behind it unless they flat out say it.

As someone mentioned, the bottom line is $$. I understand you have an emotional investment, but so do many others that do not share your opinion. So then whose point of view is the right one? No one can say, that's why it's personal.

Why not try something new? Something new would not carry the same gravitas as these characters. I imagine non Caucasian individuals who have loved these characters their whole life yet have felt alienated by Caucasian dominated medium with just a handful of characters (b list, at best) they can identify with. They made a new spiderman and people went nuts, so new doesn't always work either.

I believe that these characters were created for the enjoyment of ALL children, but the creators were restricted by societal dictations. So no matter what color anyone is, as long as its done right that's all that matters.

I don't think it's appropriate to go down this path here. But I firmly believe you couldn't be more wrong if you tried, though it certainly looks like you are.

Explain please

Not here (tsk)

33O39fX.gif

If he wants me to explain he can ask me via PM. I'd rather not toe the political line here and risk a strike. (shrug)

Explain please

Not here (tsk)

33O39fX.gif

If he wants me to explain he can ask me via PM. I'd rather not toe the political line here and risk a strike. (shrug)

Do it. :baiting:

Explain please

Not here (tsk)

33O39fX.gif

Talking about comic book movies leads to a strike? Now what did I miss?

There is nothing political about this at all. It's speculation about casting of fictional characters in a movie that's not being made yet and the opinions of fans for and against that will have no affect on said movie.

Personally I think that Logan510 is passionate about something he loves and I can only respect that, as we should all respect each others opinion.

Explain please

Not here (tsk)

33O39fX.gif

Talking about comic book movies leads to a strike? Now what did I miss?

Dude, I've already been accused of being a racist by a few of the lesser lights in this thread. I don't need any more of that hassle...I've seen what happens when the hens start clucking.

Explain please

Not here (tsk)

33O39fX.gif

Do it. :baiting:

You...talked to me... :whee:

I've seen what happens when the hens start clucking.

Puuuuure butt-hurt.

*sigh*

-slym

It might help to know what you're talking about...but don't let that stop you.