• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

I've seen what happens when the hens start clucking.

Puuuuure butt-hurt.

*sigh*

It might help to know what you're talking about...but don't let that stop you.

As in, ^that is what happens when the hens start clucking. I wasn't saying that about you.

:lol:

-slym

I've seen what happens when the hens start clucking.

Puuuuure butt-hurt.

*sigh*

It might help to know what you're talking about...but don't let that stop you.

As in, ^that is what happens when the hens start clucking. I wasn't saying that about you.

:lol:

-slym

Oops :blush:

:foryou:

Dude, I've already been accused of being a racist by a few of the lesser lights in this thread. I don't need any more of that hassle...I've seen what happens when the hens start clucking.

I don't think you are being racist at all. I just think you've locked yourself in to a very fixed view of the Marvel heroes and you don't want to see deviation from that. It is clear in even your opinion of the Avengers. Heck I think it is why I liked The Amazing Spider-Man film so little. It just wasn't how I pictured Peter.

I think, unfortunately, that common fans need some deviation. They don't have that love of 60s super hero comics that many of us on here do.

If they want to make characters black it doesn't bother me. Where it does start to bother me is when they drastically change the story. Sue and Johnny need to be brother and sister. Making one adopted that starts to really drastically change the story and focus in on something else entirely.

The original Human Torch was an android

"I am an android, not a robot."

My most favorite Data line, ever.

270px-STDejaQ.jpg

Just make Susan Storm black and it shouldn't be a problem right? Or perhaps Johnny Storm was an adopted brother or even a step brother. There are at least a dozen ways to make it work. All I care about is that Johnny's character be irresponsible, a tad of a narcissist and a player with the ladies. (thumbs u

So that’s all the character is about? Good! :P

Of course it is :screwy:

If they're going to make arbitrary changes, why not just do something new? (shrug)

+1,000,000

If you want to have a black character that will open up revenue streams with a different audience, then they should go make one - I wish they would stop trying to force a new look on an existing property.

I can't imagine that anyone thinks that it's noble, unique or creative to simply make a white character black, or a straight character gay and that it actually gives credence and honor to the heritage of the people they are trying to portray.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Logan510 is annoyed with this inherently lazy revisionism movie producers seem to take with established characters (that is what annoys me). If they want to create different characters with different backgrounds, heritages or lifestyles - then they should try to make them.

I love different stuff. I love original sci fi - bring me something that hasn't been a book or comic first. Audiences - especially our audiences - welcome new things and new franchises.

I can't imagine that anyone thinks that it's noble, unique or creative to simply make a white character black, or a straight character gay and that it actually gives credence and honor to the heritage of the people they are trying to portray.

Certainly, Marvel would never do that!

Wait...

13908_4_001.jpg

:blush:

-slym

Wait...

13908_4_001.jpg

-slym

No kidding!

Wait...

13908_4_001.jpg

-slym

No kidding!

If I talk about inorganic change that went against the 40 year history of the character I'm sure the dim bulb crew will label me a homophobe.

That book was so bad - they made RHK the worst kind of stereotype, & I'd bet any gay man that read that book was horrified.

:doh:

-slym

It was a money grab. Unfortunately it happened during one of the darkest times in Marvel's history...the Jemas era.

If skin color and race was trivial we would not have these debates. Why must we be apologists and then be called racist for wanting to see the character we have read about for 40+ years?

someone making the argument that in a role where race is not a key factor of plot that the race of an actor is important and therefore thinks actors of one race are better suited for the role over actors of another race is playing in the grey area of rascism.

Now if you argued that only an African american (or African, or other African descent) actor could play Jackie Robinson, no one would call you racist, because the characters race is core to the point and plot of the story. If you change his race, you change THE story.

Johnny Storms ethnicity/race is not germane to THE story. Especially a more modern version of the story. Blended families are far more common than 50 years ago, so the presence of blended families on screen, even those that dont stay true to the source material, arent much cause for uproar.

But if it's a great actor who's perfect for the role, why should it matter as long as he or she does a good job and the movie turns out great?

( see how silly this is?)

it's like you are being intentionally obtuse.

Did you read the part about when race is germane to the story?

Do you feel that Johnny's race is key to the story & his character?

Yes!

Well not so much race in this case as family biology.

The FF was my favorite comic over the Avengers and Justice League because the other two were merely teams of random heroes that would come and go.

With the FF it was blood ties that keep them together.

The are some, perhaps only a few, Marvel characters were this matters.

Most of the Marvel characters (both hero and villain) seem to be random people zapped or bitten by something. lol

A few however have some origins/roots/nationality/ethnicity that define the character.

Victor Von Doom - Gypsy - His people persecuted. Saw his father murdered in front of him. That turned him to the dark side.

Similar story with Magneto - Holocaust survivor - Terrible events in his childhood make him what he his.

Thor - Norse god - He's got to be Scandinavian I think? :eyeroll:

Black Panther - Obvious reasons

Captain America - So well defined as a WW 2 GA icon changing him much would be weird.

FF - Family ties. Blood is thicker than water.

Most of the others:

Spidey (so long as he's a NYer)

DD

Iron Man

Ant Man/Pym

Hulk/Banner

Doc Strange

Most (if not all) of the X-men

Nick Fury

Conan

All the space type heroes from the late 60s/70s like Captain Marvel/Warlock/Nova

These people were all loners mostly and not defined by their family/ethnic relations.

Ever wonder why Banner or Pym or Strange or Fury never seemed to have family wondering what was happening to him? Did Stark have a bother or sister, I forget?

Seems like almost all the Marvel heroes were from single child families were the parents died young.

The Storms/Richards seem almost a lone exception.

If they decide to make the Thing's 'skin' green instead of orange will everybody be equally upset?

Many will. That's another detail that really doesn't matter.

Change your forum name traitor. :sumo: