• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

There happens to be an actual tribe called Wakamba that is located in Kenya. This is obviously what his tribe is based on. They're black people.

Hearsay.

Really? There's a one letter difference in the names. They're located in the same place.

Again - nice selective edit.

As long as you do that, I refuse to answer any more of the posts that contain it.

:facepalm:

It's pointless.

We're racist for even questioning it, and everyone against us is enlightened. Hollywood studios are crusaders for minorities and everything written previous to this generation was done because they were insensitive to the world around them.

Oh and Morales is obviously an ethnic name and couldn't possibly be Caucasian.

Wow are we dumb.

Don't give up. We aren't the ones arguing and expecting to change minds. We only want people to understand our position, our opinion, and every time someone tries to tell us our opinion is wrong, we win a little more of the battle for understanding. We understand the opposite side even if we don't agree with it. Others don't understand our side, but we get labeled as "wrong."

:shrug:

-slym

I won't. I was just being sarcastic.

What a hateful thread.

People going at each other that I would have never expected. Then some claiming they are lied about when they are clearly telling people they are less of a fan (if at all) if they don't expect 100% of the source material to be followed. Now cursing, mixed in with the repeat claims of racism?

NOBODY is gaining ground here in this thread, no matter who thinks they are. It started with a negative theme, and it maintains that same nasty theme.

This thread needs to go away, or fall back into history. We'd all be better off for it.

For anyone to believe that Hollywood would do this for noble reasons or out of a sense of equality for everyone is naive and silly.

I realize a lot of the arguments for it, are based on each individuals idea of it, and to show everyone how open minded they are or whatever, but to think the studios see it that way is crazy.

I imagined they did it the same reason Ridley Scott cast Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, or why George Romero cast Duane Jones as Ben.

Those movies weren't based on a comic book with characters that had appeared for 50+ years.

Movies have been changing the physical appearance of super heroes since Tim Burton.

You're jumping around in your points.

Aliens: Not about a comic.

Batman: Is.

Don't say the 'f' word and that won't happen. The missing part is there if you quote it, BTW.

Thing is, we aren't racist anymore. And those people that were white back then can be white now, and it not only isn't racist if they are white, but the characters stay recognisable.

-slym

I know it's not racist if they're white, but it's not racist if they aren't either. And if their origin and back story aren't based on their ethnicity, it doesn't matter which they are. And how can they not be recognizable? The guy in this suit could be any ethnicity and I'd still know it was Spiderman

spiderman+cosplay+costume-2.jpg

And as far as "we're not racist anymore"

That would be nice, but I'm reminded too often that it isn't the case. Both regarding comics and otherwise. Without getting too deep into it, we all know what happens when too many non white characters are put on a team.

Peter Parker isn't Spider-Man ; Spider-Man is Peter Parker. The suit doesn't make the hero, there have been many stories about just that.

And if you make Peter Parker unrecognisable, then you don't have Spider-Man, IMHO.

-slym

Peter Parker isn't Spider-Man ; Spider-Man is Peter Parker. The suit doesn't make the hero, there have been many stories about just that.

And if you make Peter Parker unrecognisable, then you don't have Spider-Man, IMHO.

-slym

Totally agree.

There happens to be an actual tribe called Wakamba that is located in Kenya. This is obviously what his tribe is based on. They're black people.

Hearsay.

Really? There's a one letter difference in the names. They're located in the same place.

Again - nice selective edit.

As long as you do that, I refuse to answer any more of the posts that contain it.

:facepalm:

It's pointless.

We're racist for even questioning it, and everyone against us is enlightened. Hollywood studios are crusaders for minorities and everything written previous to this generation was done because they were insensitive to the world around them.

Oh and Morales is obviously an ethnic name and couldn't possibly be Caucasian.

Wow are we dumb.

Don't give up. We aren't the ones arguing and expecting to change minds. We only want people to understand our position, our opinion, and every time someone tries to tell us our opinion is wrong, we win a little more of the battle for understanding. We understand the opposite side even if we don't agree with it. Others don't understand our side, but we get labeled as "wrong."

:shrug:

-slym

This sounds very familiar, just a different subject matter this time. hm

If you want an ethnic reboot, make them all black, like the reboot of the wizard of oz, "The Wiz" where they were all black.

If you want an ethnic reboot that really reflects the largest growing segment of minorities, make them all mexican.

Making just one black is just plain stupid, gimmicky, and reeks of blatant, pointless, political correctness.

My thoughts are, tell the story like it is in the books, or make something completely new and different.

Sticking a token black guy into one of the main roles in the old story is stupid

Also, if there is some giant outcry for an ethnic reboot, whose community should it be coming from?

Maybe I'm just not aware of it, but I haven't seen any huge movements from the african american community for it, or small movements, or any movements period.

Just goober-ish whites guys trying to force something that no one except other white guys seem to be asking for.

What a hateful thread.

People going at each other that I would have never expected. Then some claiming they are lied about when they are clearly telling people they are less of a fan (if at all) if they don't expect 100% of the source material to be followed. Now cursing, mixed in with the repeat claims of racism?

NOBODY is gaining ground here in this thread, no matter who thinks they are. It started with a negative theme, and it maintains that same nasty theme.

This thread needs to go away, or fall back into history. We'd all be better off for it.

I'd be better off if you didn't regularly throw passive aggressive lobs my way, lie about me and what I say to suit your whacko agenda and then play deer in the headlights innocent.

(thumbs u

This one's painful, let it go. No one's going to convince anyone of anything, and you're not going to be making any new friends.

That's a good thing though. Why would I want to be friends with insufficiently_thoughtful_persons? :grin:

As Chuck Gower said, I would be upset if any of those characters I mentioned had their race changed, especially just for change' sake. I am as adamant that Luke Cage should stay black as I am Batroc should stay French as Shang-Chi be Asian.

The characters have made themselves who they are, why is it so bad that they stay who they are?

-slym

Put me in the "don't make big changes" camp, but for perhaps subtle reasons.

First, the reason these "film makers" do it at all is to appeal to that subset of the audience; African American, female, whatever. They make the erroneous assumption that that group wouldn't be interested in the original "format" in the first place. The composition of comic aficionados would prove them wrong I would think.

Second, but probably most important, wouldn't it be far better to create new and original characters that happen to be African American or Asian or Middle Eastern, that could become as enduring as these characters, rather than cannibalizing the current field? The time is ripe; the "majority" can easily become interested in a "minority" character in today's world. Creators - are you listening?

As a last thought, if the change is made and ignored, that's one thing (and seems to make it all the more pointless), but to make the change and emphasize it, would be even more insincere, and just a polical statement. Not a creative choice.

Keep it original, making the Torch black is a stupid idea plain and simple. Marvel seems to want to make a statement with every movie. Electro, Kinkpin, alicia (don't think she was originally black??), and now this. Don't really have a problem with these but the FF family story dynamics have been in place for 60 plus years?

Also, "Johnny" in my mind is a white person's name...

facepalm-big.jpg

His mind is an unusual place to live.

Ah no. Johnny in my mind is a robot's name.

But what color is the robot? Isn't this the discriminating factor?

:(