• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

Their are plenty of Muslim people in Africa, I am pretty sure they are not all black. There is no reason a Middle Eastern couldn't become ruler of an African country. Saying that they couldn't is wrong.

And I have brought up the Falcon before, and Luke Cage. Why do they have to be black? I can't see one reason the Falcon couldn't be anyone, and Luke Cage only needs to be a street-wise tough, his race is not integral to his character at all. His early upbringing is. Many people can claim that - hell, look at Marshall Mathers, AKA Eminem.

:)

So, why is it others' race is so integral to their identity, but not Bruce Wayne, or Flash Thompson, or Johnny Storm?

-slym

Have the Bantu ever had a Muslim leader? Africa is a huge continent. Black Panther's origin story is somewhat specific. His people are called the Wakanda, which is said to be located near Somalia, Kenya, and Ethiopia. There happens to be an actual tribe called Wakamba that is located in Kenya. This is obviously what his tribe is based on. They're black people.

As Chuck Gower said, I would be upset if any of those characters I mentioned had their race changed, especially just for change' sake. I am as adamant that Luke Cage should stay black as I am Batroc should stay French as Shang-Chi be Asian.

The characters have made themselves who they are, why is it so bad that they stay who they are?

Also, I can certainly answer "because that is just how it is," as this isn't a test. For me, it is the same as saying "why does gasoline & oxygen burn when exposed to a flame?" You can't substitute water for gas and expect the flame to ignite.

-slym

You keep naming characters whose ethnicity is actually an integral part of their origin.

The new Ultimate Spider-man is black and Latino. Would it be ok to make him a white or Asian in a movie. It has nothing to do with him as the character.

What about middle eastern? Would the studio do that?

They already made Spiderman white in a couple movies.

Yeah, it's best you side step that question as it blows your whole arguement to pieces.

It really doesn't. His name is Morales. There's black guys with the name Peter, there's black guys with the name Parker, there may even be a black Peter Parker in real life. There most likely isn't a white Miles Morales though, right? I guess they could just change his name to Peter Parker, which they would most likely do, since nobody ever heard of Miles Morales. You have to figure the majority of people who go see these movies do not read comic books.

I do read comic books. I had never heard the name Miles Morales until today. I don't know his origin story, and I always thought Peter Parker was Ultimate Spiderman too. The color of Peter Parker is irrelevant to me. Morales is an ethnic name though, and I'd imagine his origin story possibly plays on his ethnicity? Like you can go through AF15 with Photoshop, change the Parker's skin color to black, and the story still makes sense. If you go through Ultimate Spiderman and change the Morales family to white people, does it still make sense? I don't read it so I don't know.

Wow.

For anyone to believe that Hollywood would do this for noble reasons or out of a sense of equality for everyone is naive and silly.

I realize a lot of the arguments for it, are based on each individuals idea of it, and to show everyone how open minded they are or whatever, but to think the studios see it that way is crazy.

I imagined they did it the same reason Ridley Scott cast Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, or why George Romero cast Duane Jones as Ben.

As Chuck Gower said, I would be upset if any of those characters I mentioned had their race changed, especially just for change' sake. I am as adamant that Luke Cage should stay black as I am Batroc should stay French as Shang-Chi be Asian.

The characters have made themselves who they are, why is it so bad that they stay who they are?

Also, I can certainly answer "because that is just how it is," as this isn't a test. For me, it is the same as saying "why does gasoline & oxygen burn when exposed to a flame?" You can't substitute water for gas and expect the flame to ignite.

-slym

Kind of like saying you can't expose yourself to massive amounts of Gamma radiation and get super powers...

There happens to be an actual tribe called Wakamba that is located in Kenya. This is obviously what his tribe is based on. They're black people.

Hearsay.

And in today's geo-political climate, I still say a Middle-Eastern could get pretty far in an African country. Especially in a comic-book setting.

I still wouldn't want to see the Black Panther to end up that way, though. Again, again, and again - I wouldn't want any of these characters changed for any reason. I want a Chinese Mandarin, a Russian Darkstar, a Japanese Sunfire, and a Hispanic Bantam.

-slym

There happens to be an actual tribe called Wakamba that is located in Kenya. This is obviously what his tribe is based on. They're black people.

Hearsay.

Really? There's a one letter difference in the names. They're located in the same place.

Kind of like saying you can't expose yourself to massive amounts of Gamma radiation and get super powers...

Now you are comparing me and real-life physics to the comic-book world. IRL, you cannot expose yourself to massive amounts of gamma rays and get powers. You only get cancer. But in both worlds, oxygen & gasoline + flame or spark makes fire.

Fail.

-slym

Hearsay.

Really? There's a one letter difference in the names. They're located in the same place.

Again - nice selective edit.

As long as you do that, I refuse to answer any more of the posts that contain it.

:facepalm:

-slym

For anyone to believe that Hollywood would do this for noble reasons or out of a sense of equality for everyone is naive and silly.

I realize a lot of the arguments for it, are based on each individuals idea of it, and to show everyone how open minded they are or whatever, but to think the studios see it that way is crazy.

I imagined they did it the same reason Ridley Scott cast Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, or why George Romero cast Duane Jones as Ben.

Those movies weren't based on a comic book with characters that had appeared for 50+ years.

Hearsay.

As long as you do that, I refuse to answer any more of the posts that contain it.

-slym

I didn't change anything you said. I responded to a portion of your post. You've responded to only a portion of my post several times.

When every post you make is under 25 words but takes up 11 lines, I like to clean things up a bit when hitting the quote button, so we don't have to suffer a wall of double, triple, and quadruple spaced lines between each short sentence another time. It's nothing sinister, I'm not changing the context of your posts. I'm keeping complete statements intact.

Hearsay.

-slym

It's pointless.

We're racist for even questioning it, and everyone against us is enlightened. Hollywood studios are crusaders for minorities and everything written previous to this generation was done because they were insensitive to the world around them.

Oh and Morales is obviously an ethnic name and couldn't possibly be Caucasian.

Wow are we dumb.

Those movies weren't based on a comic book with characters that had appeared for 50+ years.

Movies have been changing the physical appearance of super heroes since Tim Burton.

Hearsay.

It's pointless.

We're racist for even questioning it, and everyone against us is enlightened. Hollywood studios are crusaders for minorities and everything written previous to this generation was done because they were insensitive to the world around them.

Wow are we dumb.

Don't give up. We aren't the ones arguing and expecting to change minds. We only want people to understand our position, our opinion, and every time someone tries to tell us our opinion is wrong, we win a little more of the battle for understanding. We understand the opposite side even if we don't agree with it. Others don't understand our side, but we get labeled as "wrong."

:shrug:

-slym

It's pointless.

Wow are we dumb.

The only part of this statement that actually came from a point I made was that comic book publishers, the code, and a significant chunk of Americans were racist as in the 1930's-1960's. This isn't my opinion, this is a time when black people didn't attend the same schools, didn't earn equal wage, didn't drink from the same fountain, couldn't sit in the front of the bus, and had to step off the sidewalk when a white man crossed his path. This is when Whitewash Jones was a black portrayal in comics (the only black portrayal in 1940's Timely comics). So yeah, I did argue that point. I didn't argue any others though. Do I think Hollywood changed Nick Fury from white to black in the movies to make a point? No. I think they did it because who gives a mess? And SAMUEL L JACKSON. Do I think you're racist? No. I think you're hung up on unimportant details. I think a good portion of those who complain about this sort of thing are racist though, and you know that's true as well. I also find it interesting which details one gets hung up on and which they don't regarding a reboot or reimagining for an adaptation from one medium to the next. As far as the name Morales is concerned, sure it could be Caucasian, but is it likely to be? Why do you think they named that character Morales and not Smith or Jackson or Parker or Wayne? It is an ethnic name. It could be Spanish, there are light skinned people in central and south America, but the darker skinned variety are the ones that tend to immigrate to America due to the social problems in their home countries. So it's a mixed up mess.

Don't say the 'f' word and that won't happen. The missing part is there if you quote it, BTW.

Thing is, we aren't racist anymore. And those people that were white back then can be white now, and it not only isn't racist if they are white, but the characters stay recognisable.

-slym