• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

This thread needs a bump. I watched this book close on eBay yesterday and I guess I am a bit surprised by the price. I was an underbidder (with a baby less than 8 weeks away, a VERY LOW underbidder) and I thought this would go a bit higher.

Archie380_zpsa6fe06a4.jpg

Thoughts? Talk amongst yourselves.

Something went wrong there. Hmmmm.... that comic should be pushing $10,000.

Was there any type of mistake with the listing that you could see Andrew?

Not that I could see. It was labeled properly, showed up in all the right places, etc. I agree with you, I expected 6-7k at a minimum. 4k is low. I'm guessing that's not much more than Brock at Columbia got for his 8.0 #10.

Given the seller's selling history, I wouldn't have bid on that book...

I guess I see what you're saying Steve; it's certainly been a while since he bought or sold anything on eBay, but there are a decent number of green flags that counter the red. Of course I preface this with, to each their own, and I respect your position.

Positives for me are:

- Feedback of 155 with a 100% positive rating (even with an ebay sabbatical that is not uncommon with someone who is not a pro seller or an active collector)

- A short but approachable description. Those who just repeat the auction title or those who ramble on in grammatically disastrous novellas (yes Thurston I mean you) give me pause, but someone who provides even the slightest in personal details gets a plus from me.

- A slabbed book that can be verified

- The inexcusable (haha) amount of time I spend on other auction sites, etc. and the fact that I've never seen this book on the block to poach a picture from

- Amex/Paypal protection (I know there are hoops to jump through here, I guess my feeling is just that if you're already spending 4k with a stranger, why not 5 :o)

The last slabbed 3 I recall seeing sell (3 months ago) was a 6.5 on HA with C/OW pages. It went for a thousand more than this. I'm just sayin' (again) 4k was low.

I agree with squeggs. This seller would have made $1000s more if they had used Sparkle City.

Heck, I might start using Sparkle City more. My ebay auctions seem to get a lot of views but then I look over at SC auctions and they're always getting top dollar.

I wonder if we will see a flip on this comic. I think we all agree that the buyer got it on the cheap, so a quick flip might happen. Keep your eyes peeled.

Suppose I should clarify: I buy a ton of stuff from SC and agree they are absolutely rocking it when it comes to selling comics. Not only are they trustworthy, they promote their sales outside of eBay which is an awesome way to pump the sale prices. Great images, professional packing, etc, etc ... you guys know just as as well as I do. They certainly would have seen a higher sale price for this book.

I was simply saying that this seller didn't necessarily scare me off with his history. An Archie #3 8.0, is an ARCHIE #3 8.0 no matter how you look at it. If I was not so poor, with the anticipation of being even more so, this auction would have had a different end.

I finally got around to taking a pic of my coverless Archie 2.

We spend a lot of time looking at covers so I decided to take some extra pics.

-2 full page Ad pages (I love these early in-house ads)

-The "steamy" start to the Veronica story.

BTW, if anyone has a loose cover for me, or wants to do a trade for this one let me know.

get-attachmentaspx_zps363f5a38.jpeg

get-attachment-1aspx_zps0cc41878.jpeg

get-attachment-2aspx_zps9137967e.jpeg

get-attachment-3aspx_zps11c737a6.jpeg

Thanks for the great shots! There are some terrific splash pages in the early Archie books that deserve to be seen.

The archive books are nice but nothing beats seeing the original pages!

Just shy of $7k for that brittle .5 Archie 1 on Clink last night. Not too shabby. Bodes well for the Archie 1 6.0 in the upcoming CC auction.

On a side note, is anyone else as little moved as I am with the "John Wise" auction story? Dude bought old books and had most of them restored. I mean he has some impressive issues for sure, and overall an impressive collection, but this is hardly some major attic find. I think it will be very interesting to see what his A1 with extensive resto (7.5) sells for. It is currently going for about a grand more than the .5 above. There is an 8.0 EP on eBay for $19,500, and it's been there FOREVER! Will be interesting to see if CC can get the guy more than that when everyone has passed on the 8.0.

:popcorn:

So no one wants to talk about those auctions on CC? $70,000 for the A1 6.0! :applause:$18,200 for the restored 7.5! CC is killing it right now. Plus their upcoming auction has two Pep 22s (MagicM's and I'm pretty sure the other is Filter's copy that Matt Nelson just finished -- the one he said he'd give me first crack at :blahblah: ) another restored Archie 1 7.0, an A1 cover only for anyone sitting on the insides, and a low grade A2 to boot.

Love it!

Come on people, tell me whatcha think.

So no one wants to talk about those auctions on CC? $70,000 for the A1 6.0! :applause:$18,200 for the restored 7.5! CC is killing it right now. Plus their upcoming auction has two Pep 22s (MagicM's and I'm pretty sure the other is Filter's copy that Matt Nelson just finished -- the one he said he'd give me first crack at :blahblah: ) another restored Archie 1 7.0, an A1 cover only for anyone sitting on the insides, and a low grade A2 to boot.

Love it!

Come on people, tell me whatcha think.

Andrew, I've been working so much lately that I've been missing all of Comiconnects auctions. It really sounds like their auctions are doing amazingly well.

$70000 for the 6.0 is outstanding considering a 6.5 sold for $62800 just 6 months ago.

What was the amount of resto on the 7.5? Extensive?

This has to be the only book I ever regret selling shortly after I sell a copy. Well its never gonna happen again. I am never selling unless its to upgrade.

photo3_zpsaf1cdb5e.jpg

Wow! Sooooo.....pretty! :applause: