• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

So Annnnnnnnnnnnyway ... I put this up on the resto-threads, specifically the one about wanting to get married, but just wanted to remind this crew that I have a coverless 8, 11 and 12. All are complete, but the 8 is in killer shape. If I can help anyone complete a coverless copy or if someone has a cover they wanna get rid of, I'm here for you.

In other news I did complete one of my cover-only issues. Guts will be in today and I'll report the book for inclusion in the 1-10 count.

And thanks for the reminder Todd, I forgot that it's 3 wraps missing in your Archie 1. Point is I am still looking for you!

It's not just the headlights on 50 that are easily the most prominent of the GGA covers, but that Archie is so clearly staring right at them (via a picture, which makes it a higher level gag IMO). I'm sure to be proven wrong but I have never seen a GA cover, kiddie or adult oriented, where a character is so clearly checking out the girls. That it's a common kids title like Archie with a nice cover regardless, makes it all the better.

Ed

Tough to say. As you know there was a 2.0 universal that went last month on Ha for like 16.5. The pages were the same. This cover, which actually does not present as well as the 2.0, CGC calls a 2.5.

I see no reason it could not bring $5-8,000, but I do have a question ... and please excuse the ignorance. If you found a centerfold, what could this book hope to be if you popped it in and had no other work done? Let's go as far as to say the paper quality was a near perfect match.

Would it be a 2.5 Universal with loose centerfold, a 2.5 Qualified with loose centerfold, or 2.5 slight amateur resto?

Tough to say. As you know there was a 2.0 universal that went last month on Ha for like 16.5. The pages were the same. This cover, which actually does not present as well as the 2.0, CGC calls a 2.5.

I see no reason it could not bring $5-8,000, but I do have a question ... and please excuse the ignorance. If you found a centerfold, what could this book hope to be if you popped it in and had no other work done? Let's go as far as to say the paper quality was a near perfect match.

Would it be a 2.5 Universal with loose centerfold, a 2.5 Qualified with loose centerfold, or 2.5 slight amateur resto?

Great question.

If the 1 staple matched up, I dare say this could become a 2.5 Universal and be worth quite a bit of money. (might be worth pulling the cf from my restored 7.0 to try it).

I suspect that CGC would keep it as a Green Label. With maybe a grade bump? I say this because I had a 2.0 Green Label Wonder Woman 1 that was missing the CF. I found a CF for it and put it in and resubmitted it. It came back as a 3.0 Green Label. I sure liked getting the grade bump!

If Cgc was going to give it a 2.5 green or purple, then the next question is whether or not to send it to Matt & Kenny for a full resto job. If you can't have a 2.5 blue, would it be better to have a 7.0 or 8.0 purple than a 2.5 green?

Yeah you're right, prob 6.5-7.0 actually based on what I am seeing lately from CGC. Regardless, I'm thrilled with the way it presents.

PS. SparkleCity is at it again ... just posted a universal Archie 50 (5.0), and a qualified Archie #1 (2.5) missing the centerfold.

I just looked at the Sparkle city Archie 1.

I had to laugh because the coloring makes it look like Archie & Betty have a horrible case of acne. Even Archie's hand has bad acne. And Veronica has a rash on her leg.

They are teens so I guess it works.... and actually makes it kind of charming in a way.

Still a great copy.

I still need an Archie Centerfold so knowing this comic is out there is going to make it tougher on me.

In decades of collecting I've only seen two coverless archie 1s, and one was missing centerfold. But I've seen or heard of four copies with covers but missing centerfolds.

Edited by bluechip

I bought a complete coverless Archie 1 12 years ago. It's now the inside of my restored 6.5-ish copy. But I have yet to see one since then.

Ugh. That bodes not well. :P

I seem to be building a collection of high end comics without CFs.

Edited by gadzukes

Attention Archie 1-10ers ... In case you have not seen it, not one but two low-grade Archie number 5s hit the Bay this evening. A slabbed 2.0 with brittle pages from Thurston, and he slightly nicer copy with a missing centerfold. Go get 'em!

Looks like the deep-pocketed antisocial hermit pulled his bid from the SC Archie #1 auction. Must be saving all his money for a 17th copy of some other key. Back down to an attractive price.

Yes I'm a bit pissy, and realize from a hoarding standpoint I'm the pot calling the kettle a -----! I'll get over it by Monday.

On the plus side I'm about to post my new Archie 7, low grade with my recently purchased coverless insides.

Add a third copy to my tally if you would good sir.

Archie7d_zpsdfa215f7.jpg

Edited by GoldenPRGuy

Here's an update to my post, in response to my post, which was ... in response to my post. Apparently this is what happens when your pregnant wife passes out at 8p every night ... you sit up and talk to yourself in a thread.

Hey nice Archie 7 Andrew! Gee, thanks Andrew! :insane:

So I'm sure you've all seen it, but there is big Archie action on comic connect's next auction. I'm sure that's why the random I referenced above retracted his bid on SC's Archie 1. My research shows that he lost out on SC's last high grade Archie 1 when it went through his 40k limit and closed at $65k. My guess is he's now fixated on the CC 6.0.

So who's gonna go for some of these tasty looking books? There's a restored 7.5, a universal 6.0 (worship), and a NG beat up cover only.

Archie 1's in CC's May Auction

How about some guesses on the final prices? Anyone?

I just checked out the three Archie 1s for the next CC auction and think I've made a "Variant Cover" discovery!

Check out the back cover for the 7.5 restored Archie 1.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=539245

Do you see that at the bottom of the back cover? Yup, the letter "A" in the bottom margin.

Here's what the regular back cover looks like. No "A"

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=543963

I have scoured all my other back cover pics for Archie 1 and don't see it anywhere else..... except for one place..... The current SC Archie 1 on ebay has the same "A".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131145238585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So there's the confirmation.

I will call this...the "A" variant!

In the grand scheme of things does it mean much? Probably not. But it's still interesting to find.

Look the cover over and see if you can find anything else that's different between this cover and another Archie 1.

Edited by gadzukes