• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

All right Archie Club members.... I've seen some chatter here about which covers you like the best so let's go ahead get some unofficial rankings.

Out of the first 20 issues of Archie (plus Archie 50) list your top 5 covers (in order of coolness, not value).

Here's my list:

1- Archie 1 - This is not just iconic, it's really well done and has the 4 main characters.

2- Archie 8 - First "Wow, this guy knows how to draw "Babes" cover.

3- Archie 13 - Another sexy "B&V" cover that emphasizes the love triangle.

4- Archie 50 - Love this cover (Archie's glance says it all)

5- Archie 3 - First "Love Triangle" cover

Honorable mention goes to Archie 10&11&14 - All great covers

14 Really? Interesting. That cover doesn't do anything for me. But I do like your list!

Here's mine:

1 - Archie 8 - for the same reason stated by Gadzukes.

2 - Archie 1 - A classic cover image that comes to mind first anytime I think about my collection.

3 - Archie 50 - speaks for itself!

4 - Archie 12 - so much of what I love about the early Archie is the way he was drawn (which didn't last too long). 12 maintains this initial Archie image perfectly with such a great confounded look on his face. And again, it was the first 10c Archie I ever owned.

5 - toss up between 3, 4 and 11 (love the way Archie's face is drawn on all of them)!

One of my recent ebay snags has arrived and I have to share. The other day some guy listed this Archie 12 with a BIN of $199. The pics were not great but I could tell it was a nice copy. I shot first and asked questions after. I could see from his other items for sale he was a golf fan not a comic collector, and when I asked about this book he told me he had it graded by a local comic shop that said it was in good condition.

I'd be beside myself if this didn't grade 7.5 or higher. The book is complete, pages are so white they look new, the back cover is flawless, and the only real defects are the light spine stress and minor minor roughness along the bottom of the cover from corner to corner.

a12_zps93935b15.jpg

It's my second copy (actually 2.5 since I have a coverless as well) might just slab this sucker.

Yeah you're right, prob 6.5-7.0 actually based on what I am seeing lately from CGC. Regardless, I'm thrilled with the way it presents.

PS. SparkleCity is at it again ... just posted a universal Archie 50 (5.0), and a qualified Archie #1 (2.5) missing the centerfold.

Yeah you're right, prob 6.5-7.0 actually based on what I am seeing lately from CGC. Regardless, I'm thrilled with the way it presents.

PS. SparkleCity is at it again ... just posted a universal Archie 50 (5.0), and a qualified Archie #1 (2.5) missing the centerfold.

I just looked at the Sparkle city Archie 1.

I had to laugh because the coloring makes it look like Archie & Betty have a horrible case of acne. Even Archie's hand has bad acne. And Veronica has a rash on her leg.

They are teens so I guess it works.... and actually makes it kind of charming in a way.

Still a great copy.

I still need an Archie Centerfold so knowing this comic is out there is going to make it tougher on me.

Edited by gadzukes

Yeah, when you compare it to that it seems more like a six or 6.5. Though based on those pics I think that Crippen copy's a bit undergraded. I'd like to know what comic book store would tell this guy it was a 2.5?

As for the Archie 1, I did find the discoloration on the cover amusing as well. I realize that it's another book without a centerfold, but it's slabbed and it will be interesting to see what it goes for compared to what you grabbed yours for. It's already over thousand dollars and it just started. Plus you have all of us looking for a centerfold for you so that can't hurt your odds!

Yeah, when you compare it to that it seems more like a six or 6.5. Though based on those pics I think that Crippen copy's a bit undergraded.

You know, you're right! That one is undergraded.

The census says 7.5 is the highest graded so you'll be pretty close with yours.

I found a super high grade 53 that I need to send in. I wasn't going to collect any Archies past #10 but this 53 I found was so gorgeous I couldn't resist.

Edited by gadzukes

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHO BOUGHT THE ARCHIE 1 cgc 8.5 I BIDDED ON IT BUT WHEN IT HIT 6 DIDGETS, I WAQS SHOCKED. I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING ARCHIES FOR 46 YEARS SOLD MY #1 IN 1980 BUT HAVE 2-10 EXCEPT # 3 ALSO OWN THE ONLY SHOE STORE GIVEAWAY EVEN SURFACED (THAT NOBDY HAS PROVED DIFFERENT) ON EBAY NOW AND I TURNED DOWN $10,000 BIG MISTAKE NOE *500 THAT CAN BUY AN ARCHIE 1 1.0 MAYBE lol