• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

Here's my new addition to the Club:

I know a lot of us made offers on it and for some reason I was the lucky one.

Here's the story behind it:

30 years ago the guy I bought it from (Dale) had a friend who saw it at an Antique store in Chicago. The price was $10 to $20 so the friend bought it. The friend flipped it to Dale a day later for a fast $100. Dale had never collected comics in his entire life but thought Archie 1 might be a good comic to have. He threw it in a drawer where it has stayed for 30 years until a couple weeks ago when he saw a news story about the Archie 1 CGC 6.5 that sold for a bunch of money. Dale thought he was rich so he dug out the comic only to find out it was missing 3 wraps. He googled to get info on the comic and found out about the boards where he started posting stuff a couple weeks ago.

So.... where am I going to find 3 inner wraps for this?

ArchieCover_zps37e4d037.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

That's a tough row to hoe.

On another note, I wonder how many kids looked at this cover and thought the "Montana" was a sign that indicated the story was taking place in Montana? hm (given the wintery theme on the cover)

I had a cover only and looked for about 4 years for an interior. Found one (for $1500) but it was missing the centerfold. So I'd give it 10 years or so and hope to get lucky with a beater. And enjoy what you have.

Ed

30 years ago the guy I bought it from (Dale) had a friend who saw it at an Antique store in Chicago. The price was $10 to $20 so the friend bought it. The friend flipped it to Dale a day later for a fast $100. Dale had never collected comics in his entire life but thought Archie 1 might be a good comic to have. He threw it in a drawer where it has stayed for 30 years until a couple weeks ago when he saw a news story about the Archie 1 CGC 6.5 that sold for a bunch of money. Dale thought he was rich so he dug out the comic only to find out it was missing 3 wraps. He googled to get info on the comic and found out about the boards where he started posting stuff a couple weeks ago.

Nice pick up. Interesting that as a non-collector he would have been willing to shell out $100 for a copy in this condition 30 years ago.

Time for an update on club members (still a pretty small club):

If you won one of the recent auctions please join the club.

CGC Unrestored:

4.0 OW-W... BaltimoreLauren... Page 6

3.0 OW.......... 143ksk................. Page 2

1.0 Brittle.......... Ameri................ Page 1

CGC Restored

7.0 (MP)... OW-W... Gadzukes... Page 1

2.5 (SA)... OW-W... Benz... Page 7

Raw

2.0-3.0 Unrestored... GoldenPRguy... Page 3

6.0 Restored... Lotemo... Page 1

6.0 SL Restored... GoldenPRguy... Page 3

.5 Unrestored (incomplete)... Gadzukes... Page 13

Edited by gadzukes

I've yet to ever read an Archie comic book but there's something about this first issue that makes it seem very cool IMHO. (thumbs u

I'm the same way. I've never read one, but suddenly own a bunch of them. The early art is really quite good. And the cover to #1 is really good. The cover art to number 2 is horrible in my opinion.

Makes me wonder about a total copies estimate. Anybody know the Gerber rating on Archie #1?

I forget what a Gerber 7 means. Is that 100-200 estimated copies? or even less?

There are 43 listed on the census and there are 4 raw issues listed in this forum so we know of 47 copies right now.

That's rarified air.

Isn't Action comics 1 a Gerber 7 also. 60 of those on the census

Edited by gadzukes

Makes me wonder about a total copies estimate. Anybody know the Gerber rating on Archie #1?

There are 43 listed on the census and there are 4 raw issues listed in this forum so we know of 47 copies right now.

That's rarified air.

Aren't GPA census numbers "contaminated" and unreliable due to duplication ?

ie. if a cgc.4.5 gets pressed and submitted to become cgc 5.5, don't both the 4.5 and 5.5 stay on the census (unless the label is submitted also to get the original 4.5 dropped) ?

Therefore, if this is the case it looks like two books are out there but in reality it's only one ? That means the "43" listed on the census can be less - and much less if there's been lots of resubmissions.... just a thought.

That's rarified air.

Aren't GPA census numbers "contaminated" and unreliable due to duplication ?

ie. if a cgc.4.5 gets pressed and submitted to become cgc 5.5, don't both the 4.5 and 5.5 stay on the census (unless the label is submitted also to get the original 4.5 dropped) ?

Therefore, if this is the case it looks like two books are out there but in reality it's only one ? That means the "43" listed on the census can be less - and much less if there's been lots of resubmissions.... just a thought.

Yes, that's a great point. I'm sure it's true of all Key comics. I going to guess that the census numbers on any key comic are probably at least 10%-15% less than what the actual census shows.

The last time I saw a complete coverless Archie 1 offered for sale it was priced at 65 dollars, which gives you an idea how long it's been without seeing another

being a typical guy, I was always more into archies girls betty and veronica instead of archie or pep-

the books are cool and cheaper

I love the covers too

I have a #2 which Is a great chess cover and I will work someday on getting a #1 which isn't a key really other then being a #1 nor super expensive (relatively of course)

Yes very typical. :/

That said, some of the Betty and Veronica covers are classics, and the stories are just as good as any other Archie title. I'm certain you will have no problem finding a great copy of #1. As a matter of fact there are 7 copies currently for sale on eBay as well as a bound volume that includes issues 1-20.

Why don't you scan or take a picture of that #2 and add it to Steve's Favorite Archie Covers thread … it certainly belongs there.