• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Case Indentations

295 posts in this topic

I looked over a few different inner well styles over the past few days. There are a few styles CGC uses, not all of them have a tray for the book to fit into. What I have seen (keep in mind it is a very small sampling of less than a dozen cases) is the defect is present in both types of inner well.

Along with "since day one", Mr Litch's statement included : ''We have over 26 different wells for our comics...'

Re-reading his statement makes it seem like those who are waiting for a "bad batch" to pass through may be waiting for a loooooong time.

Or maybe I'm interpreting the statement wrong. But it comes across as... a percentage, across 26 different holder-styles, may be affected, and have been since day one to varying degrees. Comes with using Barex material.

I looked over a few different inner well styles over the past few days. There are a few styles CGC uses, not all of them have a tray for the book to fit into. What I have seen (keep in mind it is a very small sampling of less than a dozen cases) is the defect is present in both types of inner well.

Along with "since day one", Mr Litch's statement included : ''We have over 26 different wells for our comics...'

Re-reading his statement makes it seem like those who are waiting for a "bad batch" to pass through may be waiting for a loooooong time.

Or maybe I'm interpreting the statement wrong. But it comes across as... a percentage, across 26 different holder-styles, may be affected, and have been since day one to varying degrees. Comes with using Barex material.

Probably a correct assessment, but either the prevalence of this defect or its relative size have changed recently. I don't think people have just woken up to a problem that has been there all along.

I'm curious to know whether the well itself has this problem, just straight out of the box before it's even used to encapsulate a comic or is this defect introduced during the process (possibly be slight hand pressure at in the middle, back of the well holding the well during the sealing process)?

Has anyone addressed this at all in the discussion?

Probably a correct assessment, but either the prevalence of this defect or its relative size have changed recently. I don't think people have just woken up to a problem that has been there all along.

Right. Just pointing out that waiting for a risk-free window will be a long wait. If Barex is in-play, the risk will never be zero.

CGC is not likely to stop using Barex, and even less likely to start eating whatever percentage shows up with the "puddling". If the affected percentages were small enough to eat, they'd probably have done so all along.

I'm curious to know whether the well itself has this problem, just straight out of the box before it's even used to encapsulate a comic or is this defect introduced during the process (possibly be slight hand pressure at in the middle, back of the well holding the well during the sealing process)?

No idea whether this is right or not, but it would explain why the defect is quite prominent on many books graded recently. If someone new is doing the sealing, perhaps this person is inadvertently causing the problem in this way. Sheer speculation, of course.

No idea whether this is right or not, but it would explain why the defect is quite prominent on many books graded recently. If someone new is doing the sealing, perhaps this person is inadvertently causing the problem in this way. Sheer speculation, of course.

When I asked, I was told it came in that way. So it is from the manufacturer.

When I asked, I was told it came in that way. So it is from the manufacturer.

:facepalm: I didn't think anything could truly be worse, but this is. This means that someone sees the ripples and still uses the wells to slab a book. :facepalm:

From my limited experience with injection molding, if there were any structural/visual defects (blistering, warping, or gassing) the buyers wouldn't accept the pieces. We'd have to fine tune the press until it was right or lose business. Either the manufacturer changed materials/specs or CGC found another supplier. Either way accepting this as normal (when it was rarely if ever an issue) and passing it on to the paying customer is unacceptable. I too disagree with the "this will not effect the book" response. This will leave an indentation on the book. I've got some sub coupons to use and was planning on submitting additional books @ Baltimore. I will just utilize my coupons since they expire in a few months. I guess if there's any positive side to this, CCS, JoeyPost and anyone who presses will benefit from the plethora of books that will have these crater impressions.

hey any of you guys ever come across CGC noting on the label an error/mistake/mislabel?

any successful experience in CGC correcting it?

I came across something very minuscule, but I want to point it out later to them or I would submit my book in fear of the same duplicated error/mistake....

hey any of you guys ever come across CGC noting on the label an error/mistake/mislabel?

I came across something very minuscule, but I want to point it out later to them or I would submit my book in fear of the same duplicated error/mistake....

I assume you don't mean out-and-out mistakes like misspelling the name of the title of the book -- which does happen. Generally, CGC follows Overstreet, although there are cases, I think, where they have been convinced that Overstreet has it wrong. Which book were you thinking about?

I assume you don't mean out-and-out mistakes like misspelling the name of the title of the book -- which does happen. Generally, CGC follows Overstreet, although there are cases, I think, where they have been convinced that Overstreet has it wrong. Which book were you thinking about?

they have labeled a foreign Green Lantern 76 as Mexico where as it was only released in Spain. big visual difference.

Overstreet wouldnt know. im afraid to submit mine and they repeat the error on both versions.....

not a big deal to most but it is incorrect

they have labeled a foreign Green Lantern 76 as Mexico where as it was only released in Spain. big visual difference.

Overstreet wouldnt know. im afraid to submit mine and they repeat the error on both versions.....

Might want to include a note when submitting it.

Might want to include a note when submitting it.

lol i did that one time and they freaking called me that i was trying to "influence" the graders and they cannot accept outside documentation for authenticating...

I think it was their top secret CIA department doh!

i think maybe only the best way be to submit them together so they can see the visual differences and then they have to notate them differently

Thanks Sqeggs!

Joey,

Did you ever have a chance to look further at those cracked out inner wells to see if the indentation also points in towards our books?

Also has there been any further response from CGC about whether they have solved this problem going forward?

Joey,

Did you ever have a chance to look further at those cracked out inner wells to see if the indentation also points in towards our books?

Also has there been any further response from CGC about whether they have solved this problem going forward?

The ripples face both inward and outward. Think of throwing a pebble in water and freezing the associated ripple in time. I passed around an example in Chicago and the reaction from everyone was the same. They were not happy.