• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Case Indentations

295 posts in this topic

I'm not subbing any more books until they fix this and acknowledge they have fixed it. I have 10 slabs from recent subs that came back like this.

Any slabs I buy from now on will be preowned and I am asking if they have this issue.

As another member said, I can't believe this bubble of plastic won't cause damagew to the comic over time. I saw someone post pictures of a book cracked open from a slab with this indent and the book was fine but what are the long term ramifications?

I like CGC but this QC issue is too much to ignore.

As an FYI, all of my on site subs at WW Chicago came back with this issue. 2c

That sucks. I did 15 books onsite and only 1 came back with the defect.

It doesn't bother me as they're all for resale which is why I don't make a big to do about it. All of the last batch I did the regular way also had this issue and none of the people I sold the books to complained about it to me.

Personally, I would be upset if this happened on the front of the books as opposed to the back 2c

I decided to look at my AF15 that I had slabbed last year. Yup, it had the indentation. You how much you pay for those high end slabs? For a premium price like that you'd think they would give you a flat inner well.

The indentations on many of my slabs kind of look like an apple shape.

Mark - that's a mutant. Here's the back of a Journey Into Mystery 87 that I received today. No issue here.

IMG_8100_zps52857842.jpg

Thanks and awesome to know!

I won't be buying any slabs with this issue again.

I spoke to one of the head graders today and made him aware of this thread.

From what I was told in Chicago and again on the phone today, the indentation faces outward in the molding. The back of the inner well that touches the book is completely flat and does not effect the book at all.

Hopefully they will post more info in this thread tomorrow.

(thumbs u

Since the "O" indentation defect "ripples" the indentations (waves) face both inward (troughs) and outward (crests). The smaller more intense indentations clearly face inward, as evidenced by the photos posted earlier in the thread.

My other 10 books arrived today, but missed them due to work. I'll pick them up from the PO tomorrow and update everyone on whether they exhibit any indentation defects.

OK, I inspected the10 additional books I received back from CGC today. They were slabbed during the same week as my previous 20, but spent about 4 weeks in QC status instead of the 2 days for my other submission. Both were modern tier, and I believe the delay was due to the busy SDCC onrush.

Of the10:

4 have smooth backs (inner wells)

6 have indentation defect evident. 2 of the 6 are not too bad, evident, but not overly pronounced. 4 are clearly "O"'d (puddled?), we should probably come up with a standard nomenclature. I vote cratered.

I'm not sure why the Head grader described the defect as outward only, because they are clearly dents, not protrusions. I'm not going to bother calling CGC because they have made their stance on the issue clear, and I am going to trust that they are trying to isolate and resolve the problem. None of my older slabs (pre-2011) have this issue, so there has clearly been a change to the initial or boundary conditions in the sealing process. Whether it is material, equipment, personnel, or a combination thereof, I will leave to CGC to determine. I hope they can get their hands around it because it really does take away from the presentation of the books, and what is otherwise a very professional rep CGC has earned through the years.

I do have one other concern beyond the presentation. If the original CGC position that the books themselves are not being harmed is based on a faulty assumption that the defect consists of protrusions and not dents, then CGC clearly needs to rethink its position. They are dents toward the book itself, not humps or bubbles that leave the rest of the well flat.

Mark - that's a mutant. Here's the back of a Journey Into Mystery 87 that I received today. No issue here.

IMG_8100_zps52857842.jpg

Love that back cover. Was going to say that's a JIM #87 before I read the text.