• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Whiz Comics #1 (2) CGC 4.0 Moderate restored For Sale
1 1

82 posts in this topic

Agreed. I read the Famous First Edition a lot as a kid too. Every story in Whiz 1 is pretty good, especially Ibis.

I agree too. I had all the main Famous First Editions as a kid, and while I'm sure I liked the Batman story in Detective 27 more than the first Shazam story, the first Whiz was easily my favorite top to bottom. I think Sensation 1 was my second favorite, with Wildcat. Black Pirate, etc.

Yep, Sensation was also a great all around book. Of course, Batman 1, Superman 1, and Wonder Woman 1 were great, but the anthologies like Action 1 and Tec 27 were really hit and miss. The main stories were great, the backups, not so much. All of the features in Whiz were entertaining, even stuff like Golden Arrow.

Great book, Roy. If I ever came into some big bucks, I would buy that book. I remember when I was a kid and reading Superman, my mom told me that she read Captain Marvel when she was growing up in Pittsburgh, PA and all her friends preferred the character as well. She was also a great fan of Captain Marvel,Jr. as well. GLWTS.

Did you know the name SHAZAM is an acronym made from the names of classical heroes?

Solomon

Hercules

Atlas

Zeus

Achiles

Mercury

Saw that on Toy Hunters a few days ago! I never knew

Me too! That's where I got it from :P Pretty cool huh

Agreed. I read the Famous First Edition a lot as a kid too. Every story in Whiz 1 is pretty good, especially Ibis.

I agree too. I had all the main Famous First Editions as a kid, and while I'm sure I liked the Batman story in Detective 27 more than the first Shazam story, the first Whiz was easily my favorite top to bottom. I think Sensation 1 was my second favorite, with Wildcat. Black Pirate, etc.

from that famous first editions, I always wanted to know what happened in the ibis story....

from that famous first editions, I always wanted to know what happened in the ibis story....

Me too. I may have to track down a Whiz 2(3?) one of these days.

Did you know the name SHAZAM is an acronym made from the names of classical heroes?

Solomon

Hercules

Atlas

Zeus

Achiles Achilles

Mercury

So Captain Marvel is God? Like Thor?

I'll go a step further: My twin bro chanted this in his sleep growing up!! :insane:

Solomon, for Wisdom

Hercules, for Strength

Atlas, for Stamina

Zeus, for Power

Achilles, for Courage

Mercury, for Speed

Originally, the wizard's name was Shazamo, the last letter standing for the hero of magic, Oggar. However, Oggar became corrupt and tried to take power from Shazamo. The wizard defeated Oggar and cursed him to live amongst the world of mortals. He was given cloven hooves as a sign of his inner evil, and could cast each magic spell only once. Shazamo then dropped the last letter of his name, thus Shazam.

- Shazam 101

Solomon

Hercules

Atlas

Zeus

Achiles

Mercury

did you know they had to mix Greek and roman mythology to get it to work :idea:

Solomon

Hercules

Atlas

Zeus

Achiles

Mercury

did you know they had to mix Greek and roman mythology to get it to work :idea:

hm