• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink comments?

93 posts in this topic

10K used to be high end. Not so much now.

lol...kind of like in the stock market. I've been in the business long enough to remember when $1 billion was considered large cap. Now it's practically small-cap.

OA Tiers:

Low-end: <$1K

Lower-end: $1-$5K

Lower mid-range: $5-$10K

Mid range: $10-$25K

Higher mid-range: $25-$35K

Lower high-end: $35-$50K

Mid high-end: $50-$100K

High high-end: $100-$200K

Super high-end: $200-$450K

Ultra high-end/"The Vacuum" Territory: $450K+

So the real question is, what did the highly disputed MARVEL TREASURY EDITION #12 COVER, end up going for?

$8,209

What was the dispute again? Was it that it was actually lightboxed (pretty common for Colan/Palmer)? (shrug)

lol...kind of like in the stock market. I've been in the business long enough to remember when $1 billion was considered large cap. Now it's practically small-cap.

OA Tiers:

I'd call that scale adjusted for Gene :grin: $25K is only higher mid-range :tonofbricks:

Ok, kidding aside, I think it is also artist dependent as you can get the best of the best for some decent artists for 10-25K.

IMO and if you look at auction house hammer prices, which I think are the closest thing to quantitative data we have, for a large % of pieces 10K is a real barrier. The difference in the last few years is that the level of quality that you can get for < 10K is down and pieces crossing the barrier is up.

I was watching the Subby/Torch Kane cover and had I not bought a larger (for me) though lower mid-range on the above scale, I think I would have bid to 10K and thought the final hammer was about right for the image, period and artist.

It could be that more people are saving up for the big pieces by passing cheap pages that they would have once chased. But my best guess is that many mid to low budget collectors are running out of money to spend, and the less popular pages are losing their collector base.

I could not agree more : it seems there's a focus on A+ pieces and a huge price difference now between those "perfect pages" and average ones of the classic runs. Most collectors want just 1 great example. Considering the prices of comic art now, I certainly understand and share this thinking : we can't afford to buy many pages. It also seems to be the smart thing to do as the value of those A+ pieces tend to keep increasing.

That's whati e been trying to do lately (relatively speaking) and I keep getting outbid and coming up empty handed!

OA Tiers:

I like this breakdown, I'm in the "lower end " category. Ha ha I used to think I was in the mid range:)

OA Tiers:

Heh, I was getting concerned that I was spending more and more on art, but its good to know that I have not broken out of the low end yet. lol

Malvin

OA Tiers:

Heh, I was getting concerned that I was spending more and more on art, but its good to know that I have not broken out of the low end yet. lol

Malvin

Ditto - low end 4 life. :)

Everett tribute by M. Severin- just met reserve at 10K. Am I the only one who thinks this was unlikely to sell? There were real Everett Subby pages for lower.

And the really interesting result, Colan Dracula pencils going for way more than published, inked pages. And I get it, in a way- those pencils were gorgeous. I was going to bid on them, because I thought they might go for $500 or so! Is pencil Colan worth more than inked Colan?

Everett tribute by M. Severin- just met reserve at 10K. Am I the only one who thinks this was unlikely to sell? There were real Everett Subby pages for lower.

And the really interesting result, Colan Dracula pencils going for way more than published, inked pages. And I get it, in a way- those pencils were gorgeous. I was going to bid on them, because I thought they might go for $500 or so! Is pencil Colan worth more than inked Colan?

You're not the only one. I posted something similar previously regarding some of the pieces that were eye-openers to me:

Thoughts?

Carl Burgos TTA pages with Antman and Wasp went for $855 + 900, respectively. I thought they went cheap.

Buscema Silver Surfer Judgement Day splash = $9.6K

Coipel House of M cover = $6.7K. I thought it was a strong result

Colan TOS 75 splash = $18.5K. Is this a strong result or just about right?

Colan Tomb of Dracula 24p2 (pencils only) = $2.65K. Wow!

Cooke New Frontier 4p29 = $2.55. I thought this was a strong result

Gibbons Watchmen 7p21 = $13.6K

McFarlane ASM 328p11 = $8.1K. Low, compared to the 328 page that sold on HA

Romita Jr ASM 25p11 = 5.1K. Wow!

Severin Subby 65 Everett tribute = $10K. Wow!

Trimpe Marvel Treasury #5 Hulk back cover = $8.8K

Yeah, I thought it was a "Reserve Not Met" for sure. Nice page, but only 1 person was willing to trip the reserve. Hope they really like the piece, because it'll probably sell at a loss the next time around.

Malvin

I'm glad I'm in the low end with good company. (thumbs u

I, too, will be a low-ender for life.

Malvin

Yeah, I'll be slummin' forever as well =)

Malvin

Yeah, I'll be slummin' forever as well =)

No no no no no. There is no difficulty in moving up to lower end. Consolidate. That is how I moved up a level, and I feel I may be ready to move up another soon. I am currently formulating a goal, something like selling 30-40 pieces more than I buy every year and not losing any value in my collection. Malvin, Keith, and others like you (us) have hundreds of pieces. Consolidate and distill my boys, consolidate and distill. If you have 500 pieces, pick a number like 50 or 100 and sell that many pieces and then buy 5-10 gems. I get much more satisfaction looking at a BWS page than 20 con sketches. I bet you would too.

I know you guys is mostly joshing, but that is my advice.

I bid on the Colan pencils. I figured for sure they would go for less than $1k. Still, I hedged my bets and put in an agressive bid of nearly $1500 thinking it would be a lock. More fool me. But there was no way I was going to pay the crazy money this sold for. I bought a gorgeous Bronze Age Colan pencil page (albeit from the one-shot Meteor movie tie-in) a few years back for $100. It was, IMHO, nicer than the TOD page.

The Silver Surfer Judgement Day splash of $9600 is a shock. I picked up a splash with Silver Surfer from the same story back in Nov HA. he filled up 2/3 of the splash while this one SS was much smaller. Go figure.