• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is a positive thread to make Comics General better.
3 3

3,896 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

rom.jpg.92ea02058525f8b433bb4b57e1f8117d.jpg

I'm a huge Bill S. fan, but this looks like he got a last minute call to submit cover art within the hour and the editors had to go with it.  I'm really on the fence as to whether or not posting this image made CG better. The ROM in the little price box would've made a far better cover.  

I don't see a thing wrong with that ROM art. It might not be Sienkiewicz's best, but it is certainly well-done. Proportion, perspective, basic form, all those hallmarks are present in a good fashion. It's better than most of the art I see people gushing about on these very boards, that's for sure, and far better than anything Rob Liefeld has ever done.

(shrug)

-slym

Edited by slym2none

7 hours ago, slym2none said:

I don't see a thing wrong with that ROM art. It might not be Sienkiewicz's best, but it is certainly well-done. Proportion, perspective, basic form, all those hallmarks are present in a good fashion. It's better than most of the art I see people gushing about on these very boards, that's for sure, and far better than anything Rob Liefeld has ever done.

(shrug)

-slym

It's not the art itself, but that it's used as a cover.  You've got 2/3rds of ROM posing, looking down at the viewer, and no background.  Compare this to Hulk Annual #12 published right around the same time,  same design, but Hulk tells more of a story IMO.  Maybe my expectations are heightened due to it being a "special" annual issue.

Maybe someday Liefeld will draw an issue of ROM.  hm605075.jpg

43 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

It's not the art itself, but that it's used as a cover.  You've got 2/3rds of ROM posing, looking down at the viewer, and no background.  Compare this to Hulk Annual #12 published right around the same time,  same design, but Hulk tells more of a story IMO.  Maybe my expectations are heightened due to it being a "special" annual issue.

Maybe someday Liefeld will draw an issue of ROM.  hm605075.jpg

Probably bad idea mandated by editorial for the single character Annual portrait pose, done much better (mostly) a couple years later for the anniversary covers

Edited by shiverbones

On 11/22/2019 at 5:39 PM, porcupine48 said:

Ottawa lost our Ex,sad face.And they renovated the Aberdeen Pavilion so you can't even smell livestock anymore.A lot of fond memories going every year

The Western Fair in my home town of London is still going strong. 2019 was its 151st year! While attendance for the ten day September fair peaked at 446,000 in 1976, attendance these days of 175,000 or so is still very respectable in comparison to U.S. state fairs. Here are some pics:

western-fair-london-ontario_zpsu5ebfwkw.

westernfair2018-crowdshot-1_zpsc1xqwdlv.

Western-Fair-2_zpshygscof8.jpg

Western%204_zps6ubmo0xt.jpg

Oh man! Don't you wanna be there?

:headbang:

Edited by Hepcat

Timmy rules!

(thumbsu

And I don't necessarily have any objection to grey tone covers. It's just that there are three DC superhero ones  - a Wonder Woman,  Mystery in Space and Green Lantern - that I think are really lousy.

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat

17 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

Timmy rules!

(thumbsu

And I don't necessarily have any objection to grey tone covers. It's just that there are three DC superhero ones  - a Wonder Woman,  Mystery in Space and Green Lantern - that I think are really lousy.

:juggle:

Aw,I like the Mystery in Space ones almost as much as the Sea Devils.I saw the Green Lantern,what are the others?

On 11/25/2019 at 8:51 PM, steveinthecity said:

That Rom cover does tell a story. The story is "here, gaze at my metal spaceknight codpiece" And really, wouldn't we all want to do the same if we possessed a codpiece? 

Edited by Jeffro.

11 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Aw,I like the Mystery in Space ones almost as much as the Sea Devils.I saw the Green Lantern,what are the others?

In general I really like all Carmine Infantino's Mystery in Space covers. But they only started with issue #61. Up to #60 Gil Kane pencilled the covers, and I'd rate the #55 wash tone the worst:

81u3BaMzNYL._SL1320_.jpg

(Not mine.)

While the monster is decent, Adam Strange and especially Alanna are dreadfully rendered. 

Here's how Adam Strange and Alanna should look:

41C1awqZQmL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And Wonder Woman 108?

520879._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

So dreadful that I don't even care to add it to my collection!

:tonofbricks:

Edited by Hepcat

On 11/24/2019 at 10:22 PM, steveinthecity said:

I'm a huge Bill S. fan, but this looks like he got a last minute call to submit cover art within the hour and the editors had to go with it.  I'm really on the fence as to whether or not posting this image made CG better. The ROM in the little price box would've made a far better cover.  

It always gets a giggle and snort out of me.Looks like he's off for a Halloween party at the Blue Oyster.

On 11/25/2019 at 12:48 PM, slym2none said:

(shrug)

-slym

I like the crotch eye view.I remember getting this comic at a yard sale some years after it came out,and my Papa-who was a pretty big Rom fan- laughing and laughing at this cover and at age nine I sorta didn't get it lol 

2 hours ago, Hepcat said:

In general I really like all Carmine Infantino's Mystery in Space covers. But they only started with issue #61. Up to #60 Gil Kane pencilled the covers, and I'd rate the #55 wash tone the worst:

(Not mine.)

While the monster is decent, Adam Strange and especially Alanna are dreadfully rendered. 

Here's how Adam Strange and Alanna should look:

And Wonder Woman 108?

520879._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

So dreadful that I don't even care to add it to my collection!

:tonofbricks:

While I agree Adam and Alana look a tad off,it's the texture and feel of the whole thing that does it for me.And I honestly LOVE that WW cover.Here's my fave

6T4HRTw.jpg

4 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

That Rom cover does tell a story. The story is "here, gaze at my metal spaceknight codpiece" And really, wouldn't we all want to do the same if we possessed a codpiece? 

See,Snofro gets it.

If you polish the codpiece and look at the reflection in the mirror,infinity codpiece!

Edited by porcupine48