• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2005

365 posts in this topic

Kev,

im sorry that your offended. I thought I had a legitimate point about the awards. As I said earlier, im not the only one that thinks things are a little fishy. I have also talked to my co-workers about this award show, and they see my point. Im not that much of a Finch fan, but he is pretty hot right now so i cant see how he wouldnt win and if not him, their were many other high profile artists in that catergory that would be before Kaare. If things are on the up and up with the Shusters then great. Out of curosity, i know the Gemini's, Oscars, Junos, Grammys, etc. they use an accounting company to tabulate the votes, why didnt you guys do the same to avoid these problems?

Again, i want to stress that I thought the show was great and i cant wait till next year.

Steve

I cannot believe you are still bringing up this [#@$%!!!]. Let it go [#@$%!!!].

Im not that much of a Finch fan, but he is pretty hot right now so i cant see how he wouldnt win and if not him, their were many other high profile artists in that catergory that would be before Kaare.

High_profile != "best"

hot != "best"

best = "best"

Have you ever looked at the Eisner Awards results?

http://users.rcn.com/aardy/comics/awards/eisner04.shtml

The Harveys?

Very rarely does the "most popular" win those awards. Were those fixed too?

Kev, Dont you think it is your job to put peoples doubts to rest instead of not being able to address this issue with some substance?

Cant the public see the voting tabulations?

Steve, give it rest. So what if Kevin showed you the tabluations? That would only prove that Kaare won. Would that ease your suspicions any less? I doubt it. This is a humble comic convention put on by people like Kevin who love comics and the long history of comics. This is not the Academy Awards, Grammy's, etc. While I'm sure Kevin should be flattered that you're comparing his show to billion dollar industry shows with million dollar budgets, apples and oranges have more in common than the Oscars and the Toronto Comicon. If at the beginning of the Shusters, a man walked out claiming that he was a representative of Deloitte and Touche and that he and only he tabulated the votes, I bet you'd fall off your chair laughing.

You're new to the boards and I've always welcomed the opinion of another collector of this great hobby, but after numerous posts, I've started to notice that you don't seem to comment on much except Toronto cons. Are you simply trying to stir up sh*t? Because if you are, it's not a classy thing to do and defintely makes me regret offering to pay for your admission.

Kev, Dont you think it is your job to put peoples doubts to rest instead of not being able to address this issue with some substance?

Cant the public see the voting tabulations?

Steve, give it rest. So what if Kevin showed you the tabluations? That would only prove that Kaare won. Would that ease your suspicions any less? I doubt it. This is a humble comic convention put on by people like Kevin who love comics and the long history of comics. This is not the Academy Awards, Grammy's, etc. While I'm sure Kevin should be flattered that you're comparing his show to billion dollar industry shows with million dollar budgets, apples and oranges have more in common than the Oscars and the Toronto Comicon. If at the beginning of the Shusters, a man walked out claiming that he was a representative of Deloitte and Touche and that he and only he tabulated the votes, I bet you'd fall off your chair laughing.

You're new to the boards and I've always welcomed the opinion of another collector of this great hobby, but after numerous posts, I've started to notice that you don't seem to comment on much except Toronto cons. Are you simply trying to stir up sh*t? Because if you are, it's not a classy thing to do and defintely makes me regret offering to pay for your admission.

You are right Mitol, I just looked and he has only ever posted on the Comic Events board. That seems really odd. My guess is that he is here just to cause [#@$%!!!]. I for one have had enough of his back handed compliments. mad.gif

Hey Mitol!

I think the Shuster are a serious thing and is a real good idea. I want them to succeed. Im not here to cause [#@$%!!!], rather help in making this a truly legitimate award and even moreso in the future.

The only reason I comment on Toronto cons, is thats all ive been to. I love meeting the artists and writers. I dont get to go to the amazing cons in the US, and Mitol, i think i told you why. I dont get much time to spend on the net either, so I check periodically about the Toronto shows on this board. Im new to the board thing. This is my first board ive been on and it is time consuming.

Because I thing you are a real good guy Mitol, I will cease my conspiracy theories about this award show. I trust you know the guys running it enough to know there was no shadiness going on.

Is there any other shows coming up soon?

Steve

Kev,

im sorry that your offended. I thought I had a legitimate point about the awards. As I said earlier, im not the only one that thinks things are a little fishy. I have also talked to my co-workers about this award show, and they see my point. Im not that much of a Finch fan, but he is pretty hot right now so i cant see how he wouldnt win and if not him, their were many other high profile artists in that catergory that would be before Kaare. If things are on the up and up with the Shusters then great. Out of curosity, i know the Gemini's, Oscars, Junos, Grammys, etc. they use an accounting company to tabulate the votes, why didnt you guys do the same to avoid these problems?

Again, i want to stress that I thought the show was great and i cant wait till next year.

Steve

I want to know what accounting company you used to conduct your survey of your friends mr soul

I'm glad the BS accusations were put to rest, it was uncalled for, and disgusting to see after all of the hard work that was put into getting the word out about the awards, and collecting every single ballot. I know because I helped push the ballots, and I also voted myself. It's an insult to everyone involved in the awards, including the winners, and nominees.

I really can't wait for the TCAF, it's going to be awesome smile.gif I'm looking forward to seeing Jim Rugg especially. I'm a huge Street Angel fan!

I'm glad the BS accusations were put to rest, it was uncalled for, and disgusting to see after all of the hard work that was put into getting the word out about the awards, and collecting every single ballot. I know because I helped push the ballots, and I also voted myself. It's an insult to everyone involved in the awards, including the winners, and nominees.

I really can't wait for the TCAF, it's going to be awesome smile.gif I'm looking forward to seeing Jim Rugg especially. I'm a huge Street Angel fan!

makepoint.gifYou can't go you have to work in the store all weekend news.gif

Im not that much of a Finch fan, but he is pretty hot right now so i cant see how he wouldnt win and if not him, their were many other high profile artists in that catergory that would be before Kaare.

High_profile != "best"

hot != "best"

best = "best"

Have you ever looked at the Eisner Awards results?

http://users.rcn.com/aardy/comics/awards/eisner04.shtml

The Harveys?

Very rarely does the "most popular" win those awards. Were those fixed too?

Obviously they are all fixed. insane.gif

Because I thing you are a real good guy Mitol, I will cease my conspiracy theories about this award show. I trust you know the guys running it enough to know there was no shadiness going on.

Some of the most positive friendships and acquaintances in the hobby were born from my meeting Peter Dixon and Doug Simpson of Paradise Comics. Kevin Boyd is a god among men when talking about the amount of time and effort he has put into making the Toronto Comicon THE GREATEST SHOW IN CANADA!

Board members like Mitol are merely an avatar or board name to some, but to me he is mensch, and in many ways exemplifies the integrity of the group of organizers, volunteers and behind the scenes people that are involved with this fantastic show.

It appalls me that anyone could make such a bold, callous and baseless accusation publicly about an award ceremony that was as hugely popular among attendees as it was successful.

I have been involved with this show since its inception, mainly assisting in the capacity of webmaster. If I had to put my own credibility and integrity on the line to convince you that this show is run by people having admirable characteristics, fortitude, and fundamental decency, I would vouch for Peter, Doug, Kevin and Mitol and this show any day and would be vehemently opposed to anyone that would question the integrity of these fine people, or any event with which they may be involved.

a) No, that's Samm Barnes wink.gif They were discussing something for the charity auction I believe.

b) I heard that whole thing was for a movie of some sort, but I can't be entirely sure. I just know that suddenly there were superheroes running around chasing bad guys with bags on their heads. It was pretty strange!

b) I heard that whole thing was for a movie of some sort, but I can't be entirely sure. I just know that suddenly there were superheroes running around chasing bad guys with bags on their heads. It was pretty strange!

Must be a canadian movie then

Did Anyone see the August show's line up? WOW! Does anyone know what happened to Mark Millar and Salvador Larrocca? They were on the list of guests that was handed out at the big one day show. But it is nice to see Mark Bagley and Greg Land. The the amazing one is Neal Adams. Cant wait to meet him.

Steve

Did Anyone see the August show's line up? WOW! Does anyone know what happened to Mark Millar and Salvador Larrocca? They were on the list of guests that was handed out at the big one day show. But it is nice to see Mark Bagley and Greg Land. The the amazing one is Neal Adams. Cant wait to meet him.

Steve

Millar said on his web site that he never agreed to come to that show. You'll see more names drop off that list as time goes on.

Steve

what show?

What are you smoking?