• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2005

365 posts in this topic

Ok

Thanks for the info!

If I wasnt to stuffed from eating all day I might have come down today and heckled him for violating Gwen

I went on Friday (as well as the Thursday night Ellis Q&A which was great) and chatted with some of the dealers. Didn't buy too much, but I did manage to buy a book at Bob Storm's table (sharp Strange Adventures 216) and had a nice chat with him (oh yeah, Jays beat the Yankees again). I hope the turnout was good on Saturday and Sunday! I think my best buy was getting the first three Daredevil hardcovers for $60 CAN. There were fewer dealers than I expected, but it was nice to see some new faces.

Good Show Kev! I was able to get there this weekend. ELLIS RULES!!! and JMS was a great surprise. Why didnt you guys advertise JMS? I would have loved to have brought all my books to this show instead of August,

Show Review

It was a good show, not as happening as last weeks show, but ELLIS was there, so that made it much better! haha (im not biased am i). It was not very busy at all, which made it easier to get access to all the guests, which is amazing. Was able to get many great sketches because of the low crowds, something i have never been able to do. The show was big, but there didnt seem to be as many dealers as last week but more comic companies than last week. Saw some cool comics there, but it was too expensive for my blood. Wish I still had some money. Overall, I would go back again but if it got to be busy like a wizard or the august show, i probably wouldnt go unless ELLIS was there again:) or any favorite writer or artist of mine. The bottomline is that the best thing about this show is that it isnt busy so autographs and sketches are easy.

Shuster's Review

Kev, your not going to like my opinion of this, but the Shuster seemed to be fixed. How does a Kaare Andrew beat David Finch or Stuart Immonen for best artist. That is IMPOSSIBLE! and it is a little odd that all the winners were present at the show. Something not right about that. But overall it was quite enjoyable.

Cant wait till next year.

Steve

Glad to hear you made it Steve. Did you end up going for the entire weekend or just one day? Btw, what was your opinion of Ellis? Did you get anything special autographed?

Kev, your not going to like my opinion of this, but the Shuster seemed to be fixed. How does a Kaare Andrew beat David Finch or Stuart Immonen for best artist. That is IMPOSSIBLE! and it is a little odd that all the winners were present at the show. Something not right about that. But overall it was quite enjoyable.

Those are some very serious accusations.

The vote was a public one - the people decided. Obviously not enough people voted for David Finch or Stuart Immonen. I personally voted for Stuart Immonen but kind of felt that Cary Nord was the person that would have won the vote hands down, but in the end they didn't place as highly as Kaare and another artist from BC.

And we were very lucky to have all of the winners present. We also had most of the non-winners present as well. Out of 27 contenders for Shusters this year we ended up having 18 of them there, with most of the other 9 having a proxy in place to accept for them.

I'd just like to add in that I think this show went off with a bang, and kept people wowed. I had an amazing time, and despite my sore feet and lack of sleep, I was sorry to see the show come to an end. Everyone was amazing! The guests were awesome, the fans were absolutely great, and the exhibitors seemed to be enjoying themselves. Everyone was in a good mood when I stopped to chat, and I just have to say that I really can't wait for the next one. I met some great people, and I definitely walked away with some great memories and merchandise wink.gif

Just a couple of pictures from the show:

charityauction00.jpg

One of the many many superb pieces donated for the silent charity auction. I'll post up others if/when I can get the time and patience to sit down at my computer and resize everything.

paradisecomicon00.jpg

A quick shot of the fans and exhibitors. One personal opinion of mine, I was grateful for the layout of the con, which made it easy to wander and browse without having to push past traffic jams of people.

I'll have other pictures later, but for now i'm just going to go rest my eyes sleeping.gif

By the way, I think it's horrible to suggest the awards were rigged. Especially after all of the work that was put into it. Having seen how many people actually turned up to vote for it, and how busy everyone was trying to get the whole auction to go off without a hitch, I don't see the point in making a malicious accusation such as that. Just because your opinion doesn't match up with the results doesn't mean there's a conspiracy. crazy.gif

By the way, I think it's horrible to suggest the awards were rigged. Having seen how many people actually turned up to vote for it, and how busy everyone was trying to get the whole auction to go off without a hitch, I don't see the point in making a malicious accusation such as that. Just because your opinion doesn't match up with the results doesn't mean there's a conspiracy. crazy.gif

I think all three of those guys are deserving, to be honest. So any one of them winning shouldn't come as a surprise or call into question the integrity of the event.

...and here I was just checking in to see if there was any explanation for why Ultimate Secret, a book that is written and penciled to completion, is being delayed until September (since both McNiven and Ellis were in TO)

...and here I was just checking in to see if there was any explanation for why Ultimate Secret, a book that is written and penciled to completion, is being delayed until September (since both McNiven and Ellis were in TO)

Actually, McNiven wasn't at the show.

Shuster's Review

Steve

I can't believe you could even suggest this. 893censored-thumb.gif

That is such a stupid thing to say.

Shuster's Review

Steve

I can't believe you could even suggest this. 893censored-thumb.gif

That is such a stupid thing to say.

If Shakespeare in Love coudl beat Saving PRivate Ryan for a Best Picure Oscar why cant this one event have upsets

Guys,

This wasnt meant to offend everyone, Yes, it was a great show, but i just think it is wierd that all the guests were present that won. Kaare has never even been on the Wizard Top 10, but David Finch is a regualar. He is Marvel's go to guy for high profile books. It just doesnt make any sense,

Ive read a few other boards, and there are others that share the same thoughts as me. This is just my opinion. Cant shoot a guy for a valid opinion that seems to jive.

Mitol, I made it there on saturday. I got my Authority books signed. He signed 6 for me. He was a great guys. Again man, thanks for your generous offer.

Kev, why didnt you guys advertise JMS? I am pissed that I didnt have my books on me. I would way rather get them done at your show than wait 4 hours in august for 2 autographs.

Steve

Guys,

This wasnt meant to offend everyone, Yes, it was a great show, but i just think it is wierd that all the guests were present that won. Kaare has never even been on the Wizard Top 10, but David Finch is a regualar. He is Marvel's go to guy for high profile books. It just doesnt make any sense,

That's the problem right there, you're using Wizard's top ten hit list as arbiter of quality insane.gif

We were not allowed to advertize JMS. He was in town and asked us not to say anything because he was coming to the event to surprise his friend Samm Barnes who was in town.

I think you misunderstand the nature of voting. More people voted for Kaare Andrews than for David Finch, therefore Kaare won. End of story.

Guys,

This wasnt meant to offend everyone, Yes, it was a great show, but i just think it is wierd that all the guests were present that won.

Also, if you'd stop and think about it, it was a Canadian Award. Why wouldn't our Canadian nominees come to an award show IN CANADA? But I guess that would require stopping to think. flamed.gif

This wasnt meant to offend everyone,* Yes, it was a great show, but i just think it is wierd that all the guests were present that won. Kaare has never even been on the Wizard Top 10, but David Finch is a regualar. He is Marvel's go to guy for high profile books. It just doesnt make any sense,

*So it was only ment to offend Kevin??? confused-smiley-013.gif

So you prefer stats every other panel? Cool, but Kaare can pace a story and draw facial expressions. blush.gif

Who wouldn't want to be at the first ever Shusters, especially if you were honored enough to be nominated? I would expect them to all be there. Look at all the press that went. Do you think that much press is common place for Canadian Comic Book Creators?

Kev, why didnt you guys advertise JMS? I am pissed that I didnt have my books on me. I would way rather get them done at your show than wait 4 hours in august for 2 autographs.

So, buy a trade or some other copies from some local dealers to get signed. confused-smiley-013.gif Be thankful that they were still working to get the best guests up until the day of the show.

I'm part of the Canadian Comic Book Creator Awards Association and you are basically accusing us of rigging the awards to give them to the creators that were coming to the show. Do you honestly think that such a slanderous accusation like that isn't going to be offensive to me and the other members of the Awards Association? Well, I'll straighten you out. Yes, I'm offended. The other 6 guys on the CCBCAA will be offended too if they ever see or read this.

However, I understand that you probably are just expressing a nagging concern and I will give you the benefit of the doubt. The internet is an easy place to write without thinking of the consequence. I've done it myself many times.

Kevin