• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 August 1 - 2 Heritage Comics Signature Auction

274 posts in this topic

Bronty, I know it is absurd, but I do prefer that #3 cover. Granted there is some nostalgia attached as #3 was the first I bought of the series

Say no more! I get it. (thumbs u

Actually, I think #3 may have been the first one I bought too.

Bronty, I know it is absurd, but I do prefer that #3 cover. Granted there is some nostalgia attached as #3 was the first I bought of the series

Sums up the original art market quite well. :insane:

The Dark Knight cover is already $403K, while the Frazetta Vampirella painting is currently $47K.

Dark Kight currently at $448,125.00

Until the reserve is met, the bidding is largely meaningless.

The Dark Knight cover is already $403K, while the Frazetta Vampirella painting is currently $47K.

Which, if you just consider the quality of the artwork, is completely unbelievable. If you're eager to drop north of 500k on this terrible cover, then money truly means nothing to you, and you're just as likely to spend 15k on a one-night hotel room suite or a million dollars to have Madonna sing at your birthday party.

Actually, we don't really know if there is a reserve, or whether it's been met. We will find out on the 25th at 7 PM Central.

Ron

I asked Heritage and they confirmed that there is a reserve. They didn't tell me what it is, but the consensus says it's $450K hammer and one insider I know is insisting that it's higher than that. hm

Roger, I'd guess nostalgia for that book is the major driver.

Nope. I'd want it for the art. Different strokes for different folks...

If that's the case, do you consider the art to be 10x better than the Frazetta cover? As it may eclipse the all-time US record, do you consider better than any original art that's ever been sold?

I think the hobby has surrendered its perspective. Will the overvaluation of nouveau classics eventually drag down comic art values as a whole?

If that's the case, do you consider the art to be 10x better than the Frazetta cover? As it may eclipse the all-time US record, do you consider better than any original art that's ever been sold?

I think the hobby has surrendered its perspective. Will the overvaluation of nouveau classics eventually drag down comic art values as a whole?

Hey, that's a pretty big leap. Just because I like the DKR cover for the art (as opposed to feeling all whimsical about nostalgia) doesn't mean I don't think the Frazetta cover is FAR nicer (and indeed something I would want on my wall much more than the Miller).

I only responded that my interest in the Miller cover is because I love the art, not the nostalgia surrounding the art. Doesn't mean I think it's worth half a million.

I will guarantee you this. No matter which covers hit half a million in the next 20 years, for every person that loves them there will be others doing the same :facepalm: about the hobby you're doing now.

I think we can shelve this discussion until the final hammer. For all we know the Frazetta cover will break $200K and the Miller won't meet reserve. Then we can both be happy (thumbs u

Hey, that's a pretty big leap. Just because I like the DKR cover for the art (as opposed to feeling all whimsical about nostalgia) doesn't mean I don't think the Frazetta cover is FAR nicer (and indeed something I would want on my wall much more than the Miller).

I only responded that my interest in the Miller cover is because I love the art, not the nostalgia surrounding the art. Doesn't mean I think it's worth half a million.

I will guarantee you this. No matter which covers hit half a million in the next 20 years, for every person that loves them there will be others doing the same :facepalm: about the hobby you're doing now.

I think we can shelve this discussion until the final hammer. For all we know the Frazetta cover will break $200K and the Miller won't meet reserve. Then we can both be happy (thumbs u

Oh I'm happy anyway... it's just my nature. :eek: Obviously, I would buy the DKR cover if offered it for a number I know I could turn into a profit. But, that aside, in a "value vacuum," if you will, what would you pay for it, just purely out of aesthetics? I'm probably going to irk some Miller lovers, here, but I wouldn't pay 2k for it in that instance -- same with the previously-sold splash page. I realize that's just me, but I think its appeal in the six-figure range is primarily based on speculation. I don't dislike all Miller art -- I don't even dislike all DKR Miller art. (I like Benno's splash page). These ones, though... meh.

Oh I'm happy anyway... it's just my nature. :eek: Obviously, I would buy the DKR cover if offered it for a number I know I could turn into a profit. But, that aside, in a "value vacuum," if you will, what would you pay for it, just purely out of aesthetics? I'm probably going to irk some Miller lovers, here, but I wouldn't pay 2k for it in that instance -- same with the previously-sold splash page. I realize that's just me, but I think its appeal in the six-figure range is primarily based on speculation. I don't dislike all Miller art -- I don't even dislike all DKR Miller art. (I like Benno's splash page). These ones, though... meh.

I have no clue on the "value-vaccum" question. For me it's unanswerable.

I definitely disagree on the speculation statement though. I'm firmly in Gene's camp when the numbers get this high. If someone spends half a million dollars on this cover I think the chances of them being able to sell for a profit down the line, even decades down the line, are slim.

I think whoever ends up with this cover is buying because they love it and can afford to lose money on it.

I just don't think you can make that comparison Roger. First, in a "value vacuum" very little comic oa (very little fine art for that matter too) would have value. The possibility of selling an asset for value down the road increases the value of most any asset, that's just economics. Take the exit possibility away and you devalue most any asset whether its a stock, a nugget of gold, a Frazetta, a Miller, your house.

Secondly, everything about the evolution of the comic art (and comic book for that matter) markets the last 15 years since the dawn of the internet has pointed towards the upwards revaluation of key and/or grail pieces. The Frazetta is nice, but even its biggest fans wouldn't place it near the top of his his oeuvre. No one would suggest it is as desirable as the ones that sold for 1 and 1.5m, let alone something really big like Death Dealer.

When it comes to Miller, his best known projects are Sin City, Dark Knight, Daredevil and maybe some honorable mentions like Ronin and 300. Of those, Dark Knight had the most impact. Of all the Dark Knight pages, I think a lot of Miller fans would pick the cover of #1 or the cover of #2 as the single page they'd want most. For my part, of all the pages of his career this is the one I'd want most. Of all the pages in the 1980s, this is the one I'd want the most, and I'm sure I'm not alone (although with all of the hundreds of choices in 'the field' obviously any choice would be a minority choice). You just can't say similar things about the Frazetta cover. In short, this is a true Miller grail and a true 80s grail and the Frazetta at auction does not hold a comparable place in Frazetta's career.

Again, grails have been revalued upwards for years in both comics and comic oa. So possibly the very best Miller is going to sell for more than a better-than-average Frazetta - that's just today's market and you can substitute any two artists of somewhat comparable stature in that sentence and still have it be true.

I understand that you don't like the cover and that's totally fine. But you can't lose sight of the fact that this is Miller's equivalent of something like Death Dealer. Or if the discussion was in the context of kirby, the AF15 cover or FF1 cover.

And why is that? Because, in comic OA and I would argue in fine art too, context means everything. If that exact same piece of art is a random batman cover, or inside cover, to an issue he neither wrote nor drew, its worth a fraction of what its worth. If we imagine it as an image of a Spartan warrior from 300, its not worth what its worth. But its not a random batman cover. Its not a piece from 300. Its the cover of one of the biggest comics of the 1980s. And its possibly the most desirable page of an artist that, like him or not, has a lot of stature in the field.

If you like Miller, and granted not everyone does, this is simply as good as it gets.

I have no clue on the "value-vaccum" question. For me it's unanswerable.

I definitely disagree on the speculation statement though. I'm firmly in Gene's camp when the numbers get this high. If someone spends half a million dollars on this cover I think the chances of them being able to sell for a profit down the line, even decades down the line, are slim.

I think whoever up with this cover is buying because they love it and can afford to lose money on it.

Agree with all of this. Will just say I believe that the cover will prove to be a "better" (note the quotes) buy than the splash down the line. Not that it matters to anyone buying at this level, as you note. Congrats to the winner, if reserve is met. Speaking of which, isn't the reserve fluid until it's revealed? Or if it's met during the course of bidding before the 25th, does it go away? As of there was never there to begin with?